Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
$99 Emergency Power Insurance

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191030-074145_Brave.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	21163

Name:	Screenshot_20191030-074309_Google.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	21164After reading some posts.....A few weeks ago we had huge Rains in a short period of time & Power was out. I have whole house generator no worries. Neighbor down the street is calling me in a panic he needs a generator for his some pump or his basement will start flooding. I didn't want to take by brand new one that is still in a Box my 2000 W I have not prepped it yet. Would have brought my motor home over but was in storage 2 towns over. I did have this generator in the picture brand new up in my attic for years in fact I told him I bought it 4 years ago and hopefully will start. I took it to his home with one of those quart pre mix cans of gas you buy at lowes or a big Box store I am sold on them. I take the generator out of the Box brand new 2 cycle as seen in the photo and the receipt is still in the Box I actually purchased it in 2008. Never ever put gas in it or started it. I filled it with gas and it started on a second PULL and is actually a super nice emergency generator that anybody could buy with a coupon for $99 you will be set with an emergency power source that you might not ever have to use but is kind of a cool thing to have, it is super super lightweight quiet and comes with a 12 V battery charging connection also. I realize there are bigger better fancier generators or other ways but in an emergency and after 10 years of being in this Box starting on 2nd PULL was really impressive. I would think a $99 insurance policy to carry with you no bigger than the size of 2 shoe boxes would be worth it In an extreme emergency. I do carry a backup Generator in rig in case batteries are depleted. This little thing can help at home and on the road.

Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's a really neat idea!
Question: how noisy (or quiet) is it?
Two-strokes can often have an "annoying" tone...

Do you have a link to a vendor for them?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
That's a pretty cool little generator! And, you're a pretty nice neighbor, too! Where would someone buy this little gem?
Old 10-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7074
Bob, I purchased mine in 2008 pre. Amazon. The receipt is not so funny I paid $27.00 shipping at the time. (Remember those days). I think I might have bought it off a Vendor on eBay. The somewhat newer version of the photo I put up is from Harbor freight website. Mine looks exactly the same. I'm not saying it's quite is a Honda it is super super tolerable and does not sound like the 2 strokes you and I are accustomed to. In fact does sound like a 4 stroke. And not like the Briggs and Stratton old old ones.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Attachment 21163

Attachment 21164After reading some posts.....A few weeks ago we had huge Rains in a short period of time & Power was out. I have whole house generator no worries. Neighbor down the street is calling me in a panic he needs a generator for his some pump or his basement will start flooding. I didn't want to take by brand new one that is still in a Box my 2000 W I have not prepped it yet. Would have brought my motor home over but was in storage 2 towns over. I did have this generator in the picture brand new up in my attic for years in fact I told him I bought it 4 years ago and hopefully will start. I took it to his home with one of those quart pre mix cans of gas you buy at lowes or a big Box store I am sold on them. I take the generator out of the Box brand new 2 cycle as seen in the photo and the receipt is still in the Box I actually purchased it in 2008. Never ever put gas in it or started it. I filled it with gas and it started on a second PULL and is actually a super nice emergency generator that anybody could buy with a coupon for $99 you will be set with an emergency power source that you might not ever have to use but is kind of a cool thing to have, it is super super lightweight quiet and comes with a 12 V battery charging connection also. I realize there are bigger better fancier generators or other ways but in an emergency and after 10 years of being in this Box starting on 2nd PULL was really impressive. I would think a $99 insurance policy to carry with you no bigger than the size of 2 shoe boxes would be worth it In an extreme emergency. I do carry a backup Generator in rig in case batteries are depleted. This little thing can help at home and on the road.
i have a 5 year old (harbor freight) version ...
love it that little thing...it has gotten me out of a pickle many times.
it has run my sump pump and ref. no problem many times before i installed my whole house generator.
its so portable
make sure you use the ethonal free gas.... it will start everytime....
it not loud at all...
Old 10-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I found them on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/Tailgator-630.../dp/B00O39NQ96
Old 10-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #7

THOR #7205
Question answered, cool!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7074
I AGREE ..The ethanol free pre mix cans are the secret and have changed my life with 2 cycle motors. I thought it was all a bunch of BS. A sales rep at the Sthil tent gave me a can and said that gas is my problem use this.... Well 4 years later and still using it I could start my weed whip or blower every 2 cycle on a couple of pulls that is it they will idle and run forever what a difference well worth the money.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Question answered, cool!
I do know Harbor Freight frequently has generator sales or general couponing sales where you could get it at a discount.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #10

THOR #7205
So, since we're on the topic of emergency power... I have no experience in hooking up a generator to power a home. Here in Wenatchee we seldom, I mean very seldom have a power outage! If I needed to supply power to my fridge & freezer on two different floors of my house how is the best way to do that? Run a nice heavy extension from the Motorhome (parked in lower driveway) into the house, then, use a dual or three way adapter to run other cords to the separate floors?? I know... newb question! LOL
Old 10-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We've done tit that way...
But in a "Perfect World"
Have an electrician isolate the circuits that you need to be powered, and have him run them to an exterior waterproof outlet.
Then you just need a power cord with two male ends on it.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:33 AM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #14755
tiny gene

I purchased mine at Horrible Freight for $79 with the coupon. The little thing works well and not so loud where the PD stops by and says the deer are not happy nor are the Blackbears.
Here we live our power company goes out when a slight breeze starts up and forgidaboudid when a storm happens by.
It has saved the " Fishtank " called home a number of times and it is light enough to use as a portable power source for home repairs.
It fits nicely in a box with some file mix in the can ( same stuff as stated above from Tractor Supply ).
You might not use it when on the road but if the power fails at the hook up and site you have a plan of action at hand.
Be there , be square and happy will be your Dear other!
Remember tis the season approaching real fast ( maybe Friday down here in the Hudson Valley of NY State.... the snow id falling and you wake up to likely 3-5 inches...the snow blower is outside and you are ready to do the winter task and you find out no gas but you have a can of fresh fuel at hand...the making of " Freedom" )
Old 11-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you see the one on the comparison area that weighs half as much, is a 4 cycle engine, and is an inverter generator?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOVLGE..._t3_B00O39NQ96

Of course it costs twice as much at $200 but for backup emergency use or as a boondocking charging generator I don't think you can beat it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7074
....totally different emergency situation from the little guy , I originally posted. Because I carry that one even tho my rig has a generator. Butttt
At this price with 30 amp. Plug. Makes you wonder why not protect the home for this price?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20191106-075548_Brave.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	21312  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Did you see the one on the comparison area that weighs half as much, is a 4 cycle engine, and is an inverter generator?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOVLGE..._t3_B00O39NQ96

Of course it costs twice as much at $200 but for backup emergency use or as a boondocking charging generator I don't think you can beat it.
I'm looking closely at it...
Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We've done tit that way...
But in a "Perfect World"
Have an electrician isolate the circuits that you need to be powered, and have him run them to an exterior waterproof outlet.
If you have an electrician that will hook it up that way, get a new electrician. A power cord with male ends on both ends can easily kill you! There are correct outlets to use, similar to your outlet on the coach, that take the correct FEMALE cord plug.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's why all of the outlets in our home still have the "baby-proof" plastic inserts in them...
But you can get the general idea of what I was trying to convey: even if the message was worded poorly...
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I wanted to take a picture as I always try to present proofs instead of brain-rattles, but I'm out of town so....

I gave away my exact copy of that little generator. I bought it from Northern because it was advertised as quiet. It was very quiet.

What I do to my generators:
I 5ake off the recoil pull start, buy a socket and appropriate extension, using those to start my generators by way of the bolt head holding the flywheel on.

I'm never without a battery power drill motor near me. (and if we're, the old wrap pull notch is on all of my generators. A grinder would put one on yours in about four minutes)

I'll guarantee you won't like a pull start at 6500ft altitude or at 30 degrees or less Fahrenheit.

It's an almost no cost way to ensure a start.

(oddly, my current very old Honda Gen starts best when I reverse rotate it about three turns. Then a forward drill powered crank starts it on the first tooth. If I don't do this, it's about 20 rotations at 6500ft altitude... 20 pulls would collapse a lung if you're new to the altitude.)

Just a hint from someone who got tired (really) of that damn rope.

An emergency generator needs some thought... ITS A DAMN EMERGENCY!
Cure potential problems in advance.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:29 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's not a bad idea at all...
But if I'm ever at 6,500 feet: throw me out of the airplane!
And if it's below freezing: I'm probably nowhere around!
Old 11-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #20

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053

NEVER< NEVER,EVER put 2 male ends on a cord!!!!!!!!!!Real fast way to hurt yourself or some other nit wit!!!!!!

Bill