Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
This thread pretty much confirms what I've always said...the very small percentage of owners that have serious issues are the highest percentage of those that post their experience.
Yeah its an internet thing: Those with problems will search around looking for solutions and end up here. So you have a disproportionate amount of problems on the boards--those without issues are out camping and not posting.

Then there is that few of us, myself included, who like to mod/tinker and go looking for others of the same mind...

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #22

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
BradnKaren - Also having a Challenger, I noticed that keeping the unit cool is a "challenge", no pun intended, especially when your campsite has no shade. Even running both AC's it struggles to get comfortable. What I noticed is a lot of heat coming from the windshield/front even with the shades down. Seems like a good insulated exterior windshield cover might provide some relief. Have you considered that option?
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #23

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
Coming in late to this one, but you can add me to the list of happy Thor owners. Has the Quantum been perfect in every minute detail? Of course not, but neither is my F150 or Jeep Liberty or the DW's Lincoln. Such is the way of manufactured goods.
The only thing that gets on my nerves are the whiners continually slamming Thor for any little defect they deem poor quality, think the grass is greener? Then move on and let the rest of us enjoy.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"This thread pretty much confirms what I've always said...the very small percentage of owners that have serious issues are the highest percentage of those that post their experience."
That's because the folks that are happy, are too busy having fun!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #25

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
BradnKaren - Also having a Challenger, I noticed that keeping the unit cool is a "challenge", no pun intended, especially when your campsite has no shade. Even running both AC's it struggles to get comfortable. What I noticed is a lot of heat coming from the windshield/front even with the shades down. Seems like a good insulated exterior windshield cover might provide some relief. Have you considered that option?
Yes, in fact we currently have the windshield covered in Refectix behind the shade. That alone made a big difference. We are considering a MagnaShade or something similar, and are also looking into maybe doing a ceramic window film. As I said in my post, I have not yet run out of potential fixes. Swapping the front A/C out for a 15k BTU unit is last on the list.

It is distressing to see so many people having problems with their new RVs. I think for the most part, despite the seemingly high percentage of complains posted here, they are the exceptions and not the rule. In some cases I think some people just like to have something to complain about. Life is too short for that! I come here looking for help, to help others if I can, and to find stuff I should know but don't. lol
Old 07-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you want to see complaints: take a look around in ANY PowerSports forum!

This place is actually pretty tame...
Old 07-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
There are a couple factors here you all have to take into account...

First is when the RV was made. There was a significant surge in demand and production in the last year or so. That resulted in the manufacturers pushing assembly lines WAY too fast. They pay by how fast the guys work, how much time do you think they're gonna take when they're getting paid WAY MORE to produce faster. I've heard some of those production line guys are making $100k. That's pretty tempting money in Indiana to do shoddy work.

So as far as problems people are having, those that bought in the last year or two I firmly believe will have significantly more issues.

The other thing to consider is there are a lot of people that HAVE issues with their RV's and don't know it. At least half of the couple hundred issues (NOT exaggerating) I've found with my Vegas wouldn't have been apparent, at least not for awhile. Like the generator muffler and pipe being grounded out and not supported. The muffler was up against the frame of the RV. It was transmitting vibration and noise directly into the RV. So how loud is your generator? How loud is normal? How much vibration is normal? My point is that my RV had an issue with the generator. I bet half of the people on here wouldn't have realized it was an issue. I can tell you it sure as h#ll was though once I fixed it! Way quieter and way less vibration.

That's just one example. I'd bet money if I spent an hour in any one of your RV's that you say you haven't had any problems with, I'd find at least a few issues that can/will/are causing problems now or in the future. Like the loose wire nuts that have been posted lately. For those of you that say your Thor has been wonderful, are you absolutely sure all your wiring was assembled correctly? We saw a class A burning on the side of the highway last weekend. I wonder if they thought their coach was wonderful too?

Sorry to put the idea of impending doom in your minds, just realize that just because your particular experience has been wonderful, there might be things that Thor did in the assembly that are causing issues that you don't even know aren't normal. Or they just haven't reared their ugly heads yet. I've worked in the auto industry for about 4 decades. These RV's, ALL brands, are assembled at a lower build quality than even the worst of the American cars were in the '80's. If cars and trucks were assembled in the same manner, the public wouldn't stand for it for a minute.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #28

State: Alaska
THOR #7410
I’m with you all the way. Couldn’t be more disappointed in Thor challenger LX. Thor, the techs and customer service are subpar at best.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
These RV's, ALL brands, are assembled at a lower build quality than even the worst of the American cars were in the '80's. If cars and trucks were assembled in the same manner, the public wouldn't stand for it for a minute.

I strongly disagree. I had the opportunity to completely rewire my coach when I upgraded from 30 to 50 amps last fall. I found no problems with the original wiring except for the outside 120 volt duplex electrical plug where the stripped ground was to close to the neutral terminal allowing the GFCI to trip on rough roads. No loose terminals or any wire nuts. I took that opportunity to check the heating and water systems since I was buried in the bowels of my coach and found no problems. I had the second A/C installed, but I wired it. I am a degreed ME and was a member of the ASAE for 40 years, so I have a clue in what I was looking for.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
There are a couple factors here you all have to take into account...

First is when the RV was made. There was a significant surge in demand and production in the last year or so. That resulted in the manufacturers pushing assembly lines WAY too fast. They pay by how fast the guys work, how much time do you think they're gonna take when they're getting paid WAY MORE to produce faster. I've heard some of those production line guys are making $100k. That's pretty tempting money in Indiana to do shoddy work.

So as far as problems people are having, those that bought in the last year or two I firmly believe will have significantly more issues.

The other thing to consider is there are a lot of people that HAVE issues with their RV's and don't know it. At least half of the couple hundred issues (NOT exaggerating) I've found with my Vegas wouldn't have been apparent, at least not for awhile. Like the generator muffler and pipe being grounded out and not supported. The muffler was up against the frame of the RV. It was transmitting vibration and noise directly into the RV. So how loud is your generator? How loud is normal? How much vibration is normal? My point is that my RV had an issue with the generator. I bet half of the people on here wouldn't have realized it was an issue. I can tell you it sure as h#ll was though once I fixed it! Way quieter and way less vibration.

That's just one example. I'd bet money if I spent an hour in any one of your RV's that you say you haven't had any problems with, I'd find at least a few issues that can/will/are causing problems now or in the future. Like the loose wire nuts that have been posted lately. For those of you that say your Thor has been wonderful, are you absolutely sure all your wiring was assembled correctly? We saw a class A burning on the side of the highway last weekend. I wonder if they thought their coach was wonderful too?

Sorry to put the idea of impending doom in your minds, just realize that just because your particular experience has been wonderful, there might be things that Thor did in the assembly that are causing issues that you don't even know aren't normal. Or they just haven't reared their ugly heads yet. I've worked in the auto industry for about 4 decades. These RV's, ALL brands, are assembled at a lower build quality than even the worst of the American cars were in the '80's. If cars and trucks were assembled in the same manner, the public wouldn't stand for it for a minute.
ok, got it: so we're all driving around ticking time bombs LOL.

I have two statements to this:
#1: After 4 years we're still happy with the RV, but that doesn't mean:
#2: Yup we're still finding things messed up

The more miles we put on it the more it gets shaken up and the more odd construction things I find wrong (I didn't mention when talking about our last trip with the whole tire issues that we also had a trim piece fall off that I've been trying to figure out how to put back on..might lean towards the epoxy route, not sure yet, however).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Does that mean that Chicken Little is wrong??

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1531434275
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken Little.jpg
Views:	1470
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	11376  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Yes, it is possible some are ticking bombs. Paying piece work virtually guarantees rushed work.

I need my RV to be reliable. I use it for many things besides going to track. When I see someone post about an issue I will check my unit. I have been through most of the AC power circuits and a good portion of the DC. I did find a few extra screws and a little sawdust but overall, I do have faith that my unit will go a long time. Every quarter (90 days) I remove panels and inspect. I use a temp gun on wiring under load as well as tire temps on road. Could this unit be better? Definitely. Would not be cheaper than a new Suburban though. At this price point is hard to really complain.

If I had unit like GMTECH, I'd probably see if it could fly or swim.

It is very important to understand unit from beginning. We had a service tech with us for 4 hours going over everything. He earned a "Grant" for his efforts. I felt bad treating the dealer experience like a "Used car deal", the whole dealer experience was first class. They treated us very good.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #33

THOR #10907
Jezuz Bob do you EVER step away from your computer? Chicken Little says there's more to life than internet forums. lol.

This is what we witnessed last weekend...

When poor electrical connections or shoddy workmanship/assembly causes more of these situations than anything else, yeah you should take it seriously how your coach is built.

No, obviously I'm not saying every RV on the road is going to burst into flames. Geez. I AM saying that I found at least a dozen assembly issues that very well could have started a fire in my Vegas if I hadn't found and fixed them.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #34

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Yes, it is possible some are ticking bombs. Paying piece work virtually guarantees rushed work.
Bingo.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
PS - another example of this units practicality. Last night our North house lost power for 4 hours. Since we are in BFE, I turned RV generator on and wife made up beds so we could sleep in A/C and take showers. She was actually disappointed when power was restored. We really enjoy the Vegas 24.1 bed setup, We have spent may nights now using the Vegas as a mobile hotel room. The shear simplicity of unit is very, very impressive.

I cannot lie, this was the best thing for us to do in many, many ways.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm stuck here all day at work...
So I might as well learn something...

Like how even the most reliable vehicles can have a problem:
This is a Honda GoldWing that suffered a fire that started in the rear brake caliper...

But one video (or picture) means nothing... What was the source of the fire in your motorhome picture?
Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #37

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Probably not caused by the owner self servicing his generator and leaving the fuel filter loose or using a few wire nuts or plastic splices to hook up more toys.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #38

Model: Challenger
THOR #5237
On Challenger #2 and still happy
Old 07-13-2018, 01:05 AM   #39

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
My Thor was and always will be a poorly manufactured piece of crap with a laundry list of things wrong that is pages long. Yes I fixed ALL that I could myself and some are clearly ugly fixes but they are functional. Yes I tried to work with multiple people from Thor but got stood up on repairs at their facility and in some cases they repeatedly flat out refused to make good on some of the issues implying my only recourse would be a lawsuit which I clearly can't afford to pursue. I love my RV and yes I'm having fun but that doesn't mean I'm no longer disappointed in Thor. The general management at Thor are pathetic. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Old 07-13-2018, 01:23 AM   #40

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #11917
Discovered so far

We have put a little over 6,400 miles on our new 2018 Gemini 23 TR since June 5 2018, Texas to Anchorage Alaska via California.

What we like about it:
1. Size,the length and width have made it very easy to maneuver in all traffic.
2. The “queen size-walk around” bed is very comfortable.
3. The refrigerator automatic shift to the LP power when available.
4. The interior lightning is reasonable and functional considering the price point of the unit.
5. Location of charging stations and outlets is good, if they all worked.

What we are having problems with:
1. Not being able to get into dealers for warranty issues. The first question is “Did you buy it from us?” Yes I understand that they should give priority to their
customers, but maybe the RV manufactures are not really concerned with supporting their product and find it more profitable to ignore the problems.
2. We could never get the instant hot water heater to work, it was always gasping for water.
3. The cabin door does not seal, you can see daylight through it.
4. Some Electrical outlets do not work and some are not fastened into both supports.
5. Skylight cover rattles like crazy.

More in another posting