Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2018, 01:49 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Been on this forum for a number of years - like many of the rest of responders. I've always said, we've had issues, fixed 'em, and now 43 months and 54k+ miles later still think we got the best buy (feature for feature) available. One comment is very true though - if you bought a house on wheels, drive it down the road at 65 mph and don't expect to fix stuff - you didn't do your home work. Even Bob in his new Tiffin, had better have his pliers, screwdriver and Gorilla tape handy. Just my 2 cents based on our 27 months of traveling out of 42 months of ownership. Still love the vagabond style.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:01 AM   #62

Model: Hurricane
State: Alabama
THOR #7745
We love ours we've had some small issues but I think that's all part of owning a rv
Old 11-15-2018, 03:03 AM   #63

Model: 32N
State: Oregon
THOR #11137
I think Thor is no better or worse then any other RV manufacturer.
Our 2015 Hurricane has been great!
Luck of the draw, RV's are dicey!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:11 AM   #64

THOR #1020
Spot on Ragman - it comes with use. Stuff needs fixin'.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #65

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
sounds like most on here know when they buy a RV they spend a lot of money knowing that they will have to finish putting it together and that is ok. thor will never change how they build them because people like to finish the build and thats ok.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #66

THOR #1020
Tigwelder - not at all. Biggest issues we've had is from using the coach. We spend 8-9 months each year in ours with upwards to 5 grands traveling with us all summer. It is tough to imagine driving a house down the road at 65 mph and not having stuff need fixin'. I've seen some real horror stories report on this forum - awful stuff. For the most part, many others are very satisfied with their home on wheels. Also, if you buy not knowing stuff will need fixin' you are ill informed.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #67

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You're not getting rid of me THAT easy!
I've been kicking around in a Tiffin forum: they wear their collars awfully tight...
Darn it. LOL.

Yeah I been on a few other forums for Jeeps and Cars and they were OK but this forum IMO is the best one for RV's (well Thor's).

I think its partly because its not TOO big plus the avg age of an RV owner must be like 55 so you dont have stupid teenangers or 20 something know it all's to contend with.

Like one person mention the other day it seems like more A class owners contribute here and I bet the average age of an A class is higher than a C or B or Travel trailer/5 wheeler etc.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #68
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This place is pretty dang friendly... It gives folks some room to say what's on their mind; without everybody else getting their panties in a knot over it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #69

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
I agree Bob, although it's frustrating to have things fail, the fact is this, if you have ANYTHING made by man it's gonna break or wear out. Count on that and hope for the best!!!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:19 AM   #70

State: Alabama
THOR #7147
I like my Thor Freedom Elite, I don’t like Camping World.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #71

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: California
THOR #12839
Love our Palazzo, but agree there are a lot of things I would have expected anyone who cared to do better with the wiring (strain reliefs, insulation, anti chafing, clearance of screws, etc.) and the plumbing too, but so far it's been low hanging fruit that's easy to fix and hasn't left me stranded, but easily could have if I didn't fix it first.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 AM   #72

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14807
My 2019 Vegas 24.1 is a piece of crap.
The workmanship is laughable.
I had DOA failures in EVERY system in my unit when I picked it up and refused delivery until everything I found was repaired, Unfortunately, the repairs were hurried & mostly for show & the day I drove it off the lot (three days later) things continued to fall apart. I'm still bringing the unit it weekly for repair appointments because i refuse to leave it there for the six weeks they say it'll take to fix everything and the only items they are even looking at are systems that need parts replacements....like the tankless water heater.
If it doesn't require parts, I'm doijng the repairs myself because these "techs" can't be trusted to replace a tail light.

The only good thing about this rig is the Ford 450 chassis. But TMC has managed to screw up many systems there too and Wednesday the coach is going to the Ford dealer so they can try to find where TMC screwed up the chassis heating?AC system.

The second good thing about it is i am now an expert on all the systems in this rig as I've personally spent the last month, every day, pulling the rig apart and rebuilding it like the factory should have.

So, I agree with the OP. Thor puts out a real POS and if I could redo the purchase, I would.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #73

THOR #5313
We are approaching 3 years and 24,000 miles with our 2016 Vegas 24.1.

Problems:
Shower drain loosened, I am fat. Disassembled and added rubber coupling to absorb movement.
Drain basket nuts loosen, wife saw a drip. correction is to check them every 6 months or so.
Inserts on cabinet doors flop around. Clear silicone bead on inside corrects this and is invisible.
Water pump got erratic after 2 years. Replaced with $75 spare from Amazon.
Tailights had moisture, removed dried and sealed with clear RTV silicone.

Overall we are very happy with this machine. Drives well, MPG aceptable and utilization has been excellent.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #74
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Machine View Post
...So, I agree with the OP. Thor puts out a real POS and if I could redo the purchase, I would.
What would you replace it with?
No RV brand is immune to the problems associated with "construction line speed"...
Some just get hit more often...
Old 04-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #75

State: Connecticut
THOR #11685
Always expected to have minor problems due to nature of the beast. However I expect to have issues resolved on a more long term if not permanent basis. We bought the Miramar to go cross country and eventually use as part of our snowbird plan. Due to recurring slide issues we haven’t been able to get off the east coast. Going in for repair of our large and small slides. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won’t get stuck with Bill. Warranty expired two weeks before they broke but I had complained last year about difficulty opening and closing them. Thor said dealer should have fixed so it’s their responsibility. See what happens next week when I bring it in to dealer.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #76

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Wow Muggs! We pretty much mimicked your issues with our 2016 24.1 Axis. Our water pump didn't really "fail". The failure was the typical way that Thor installed the pump by mounting in directly to the floor and hard plumbing it in place rather than using flexible lines as ShurFlo states to do in their installation instructions. This caused the pump to get louder and louder until I remounted it in a vertical position with the flexible lines.

I will say with seriousness that these small problems are okay as long as the owner can do what most of us do- fix it ourselves. If the owner is one that HAS to take it to a dealer to have their substandard labor fix substandard initial installations, then I give the manufacturer a big thumbs down. I would also worry about those units with full wall slides, etc. where again the initial installations are questionable and the parts are the cheapest on the market. Those issues turn out to be huge headaches to the point that the frustration level is not worth it.

That said, we enjoyed our 24.1 Axis. It introduced us the the realities of RVing and convinced us that it is the way that we want to see the country rather than being felt up by TSA agents at an airport.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #77

THOR #5313
The pump in ours had a check valve failing. We really do not have noise issue, louder outside than in.

The other stuff goes with vibration and hitting big bumps.

One of the attractions of the 24.1 is the small light slide and the ability to use everything with slide in.

I cannot really complain about the unit, cost effectiveness is great for our purpose. I would definitely select same unit again.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #78

THOR #14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
What would you replace it with?
No RV brand is immune to the problems associated with "construction line speed"...
Some just get hit more often...

You're correct. The industry as a whole suffers due to the acceptance by the buyers of substandard products. We have no one to blame for the garbage that's produced but ourselves. I'm guilty of that too.
So, we'll continue to suffer.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #79
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I prefer to not "suffer"...
I'll just tackle what I can; and get help when I need it.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1556289287
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	16906  
Old 04-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #80

State: Michigan
THOR #13849