Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Florida
THOR #4534
Hurricane 34F Inverter question

We have a 2016 Hurricane. When do we use the inverter? We were advised to drive with generator running so we could run the air in the back and run the refrigerator. Do we run the inverter at that time as well? The inverter is very new to us. What is it used for. I do not understand the technical info in owners manual.. Thank you so much.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:29 AM   #2

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
I use the inverter usually in the fall and winter months when I don't have to use my generator to power the roof a/cs. Usually, if the outside temp is less than 75* or so, my dash AC will keep the coach cool, and use the inverter to power the TV, DVD, and Playstation in the coach as we travel or boondock.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
You generally run the inverter when you are not able to run the generator or be on shore power so that the fridge will run off of the house batteries. Other circuits may also be wired in (TV, electronics) but not the AC or microwave.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Typically the inverter is much less powerful than the generator (usually generator is 4kW or 5kW and the inverter is something like 1kW or 2kW).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Usually during the winter spring and late fall I will use the inverter while we are travelling if the coach AC is not required. This allows the refrigerator to run while the house batteries are charged by the coach and save about .5 gallon of gas per hour while driving.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
You generally run the inverter when you are not able to run the generator or be on shore power so that the fridge will run off of the house batteries. Other circuits may also be wired in (TV, electronics) but not the AC or microwave.
You can run your inverter ALL of the time, especially if you want your batteries to keep your residential 110v fridge, or other 110v items, available and running, even when traveling.

The INVERTER takes the power from the batteries, changes it from 12v to 110v, and powers your coach when you are not plugged into 50/30/20a power, or are not running the generator.
Note: generally speaking, the alternator from the running engine will also provide some trickle power to the inverter/charger when traveling.
The CHARGER takes power from the generator, alternator, or shore power to charge back your coach batteries.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
That is true, I do run the inverter all of the time, but I also have 400W of solar on the roof keeping the batteries charged during the daytime.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
That is true, I do run the inverter all of the time, but I also have 400W of solar on the roof keeping the batteries charged during the daytime.
...and, if you don't have solar, as we don't, you can run your AGS(Automatic Generator Starter), if you have such, to come on anytime your batteries fall below a certain charge level, such as 12.0, like we do.
We have 5 tvs, 3 dish receivers, residential fridge, microwave/convection, 8-10 internet devices/computers, 110v supplemental fans for each area, etc. Sometimes the AGS will kick the generator on every hour, and run for 30 mins to recharge the batteries for the inverter, or sometimes less often, especially overnight when less items are being used.
The AGS is great for drycamping in parking lots, or when away from rv parks and campgrounds, or even at state and national parks when no electricity is supplied.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote