Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

State: Alabama
THOR #7919
Hurricane bunkhouse or ACE bunkhouse

I've been shopping around for used a used Thor coach. Initially the ACE 30.2 caught my eye for its bunkhouse feature. Then I discovered the hurricane 34j bunkhouse. Which one should I go with? Pros and cons of each one? Also if I'm not mistaken the ACE is a 30 amp. Is the hurricane a 50 amp?
Thanks.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsie View Post
I've been shopping around for used a used Thor coach. Initially the ACE 30.2 caught my eye for its bunkhouse feature. Then I discovered the hurricane 34j bunkhouse. Which one should I go with? Pros and cons of each one? Also if I'm not mistaken the ACE is a 30 amp. Is the hurricane a 50 amp?
Thanks.
Hurricane can be 30 or 50 amp. One a/c 30 amp, two a/c's 50 amp.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I think the Hurricane 34j is standard 50a. It is a step up from the ACE and likely a price difference for similar age units.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #4

THOR #7919
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I think the Hurricane 34j is standard 50a. It is a step up from the ACE and likely a price difference for similar age units.

For what I've seen the price difference isn't all that far out from each other. Especially when you consider how much more the hurricane offers
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

THOR #7919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Hurricane can be 30 or 50 amp. One a/c 30 amp, two a/c's 50 amp.

Thanks. That is some useful information
Old 06-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Also the Hurricane has a residential refrigerator with ice maker, the Ace has a Norcold.

The Hurricane is 35' 7", the Ace is 31' 6", and the Hurricane is about $18,000 more.

The Hurricane is going to have more features and higher end finishes, both are going to be very nice coachs! Best wishes in your decision!!! Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6504
Lots of differences. I have a 34j and did look at the Ace. I didn't like the smaller windshield. Also by the time you add the second ac unit a must have in Florida it's about the same price. With the 34j you get more bang for your buck with an outdoor kitchen, auto generator start a care free awning. Plus a much bigger motor home.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
I guess size matters.....

We have the ACE 30.2, and when we went looking we were limited to RV's with lengths under 32 ft because that is the maximum that would fit in our side yard! That said, those extra feet do matter--driving, parking, etc. What works best for you depends on how you will be using it--number of people, tailgating, dry camping, campground and stay, or roaming vacations. We put in the extra AC aftermarket, but have not upgraded to 50A service. Couldn't survive without those 2 AC's. Only limit is can only run one AC thru the generator, not a problem at campsites.
I don't know the price difference, as I got about one third off sticker when I purchased new and don't know the final price points of the Hurricane--especially since there is more variability on the used market.
I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you have some specific questions folks here on the forum are always glad to help.
Have fun looking and give the forum a shout back when you are a proud new bunkhouse owner.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #9

THOR #5196
I completely agree with ArrrV, size does matter! We had to downsize from a Tuscany due to parking and storage problems after we moved. I measured very carefully and 31 ft was the biggest we could comfortably fit in our current driveway. Think about where you will be storing or parking your coach.

If it gets hot where you live or plan on going get dual ACs! You'll pay more for the duals but it will be worth it for the comfort they provide.

The ACE and the Hurricane are both nice coaches, and again I agree, you'll be happy with either one!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

THOR #7919
Thanks for all the feedback. Based on my research the hurricane didn't get residential fridge until 2016 model year. I was shopping for 2014 models since I suppose those would be the cheapest. Am I right in thinking the hurricane bunkhouse was first produced in 2014?
I love the outdoor kitchen and added interior clothing storage of the hurricane over the ACE. I have 4 daughters and a wife. We generally bring family too.
I started camping in 2007 with a '95 23ft jayco travel trailer. Then we got a 2005 26ft Springdale bunkhouse. Currently we have a 2003 Gulf Stream cavalier 26ft without any slides. Things are so cramped and we go a lot considering I'm a working man with school aged kids.
Camping and travel is our only means of vacation. I'd get one today but the wife is saying to hold off. Bless her heart.
I just joined the forum today and I really appreciate all the prompt feedback. Keep it coming
Old 06-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #11

THOR #5196
With that many family members you absolutely need the Hurricane. I love our outdoor kitchen, it was one of the big selling points for me!!!

Tell your wife now is the time to make some great memories with your children, before they become adults and leave the nest!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #12

THOR #6040
I believe the 34J was introduced in the 2014 model year, from my collection of brochures. I was not personally in the motor home market at that time, a newcomer myself. Be aware, that the full wall slide models did not get the "3trax" redesign until 2016 perhaps. I am not saying that is a 100% connection to problems or not, but something to consider.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 AM   #13

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Something else to consider....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I believe the 34J was introduced in the 2014 model year, from my collection of brochures. I was not personally in the motor home market at that time, a newcomer myself. Be aware, that the full wall slide models did not get the "3trax" redesign until 2016 perhaps. I am not saying that is a 100% connection to problems or not, but something to consider.
Really good point. With everything I have read on this forum I would not get a full wall slide without the 3Trax System. My 2015 30.2 has 3Trax (I ordered it in October 2014), I think the switch was made to 3Trax sometime in the 2015 model year.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 AM   #14

THOR #7919
I checked and your right about the 3trax showing up in 2015. That's the kind of information that I was looking for. That may save me a lot of headaches.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:32 AM   #15

THOR #7919
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb34J View Post
Lots of differences. I have a 34j and did look at the Ace. I didn't like the smaller windshield. Also by the time you add the second ac unit a must have in Florida it's about the same price. With the 34j you get more bang for your buck with an outdoor kitchen, auto generator start a care free awning. Plus a much bigger motor home.

I was searching for an interior photo of a 34j with the slide closed and I can't find one. Do you happen to have a picture?
Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 AM   #16

THOR #5196
http://www.mhsrv.com/2014-thor-motor...s-a-tx-i718171

Found this link to a 2014, doesn't show the slide closed but does have interior photos. If you look at the photo taken on the left rear you can see there are only two slide tracks. Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:51 AM   #17

THOR #5196
New 2014 Thor Motor Coach Hurricane

Found this link to a 2014, doesn't show the slide closed but does have interior photos. If you look at the photo taken on the left rear you can see there are only two slide tracks. Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #18

THOR #6040
Quote:
For what I've seen the price difference isn't all that far out from each other. Especially when you consider how much more the hurricane offers
I agree completely.

Personally, for us last year, I could not find many or any enticing deals on used motorhomes within my low tolerance for age. There were too many recent changes and common additions in the last few years that we really wanted that kept us from going back about 5 years. Then throw in the industry slump from 8 years ago, and the recent used market seemed too strong for us compared to winter and end of year new market clear-the-lots desperation. So, late last year we bought a 2017.5 model. Even that last half year change brought some unexpected improvements that I really like - outside TV audio is routed to the outside speakers .
Old 06-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #19

THOR #6040
Quote:
I checked and your right about the 3trax showing up in 2015. That's the kind of information that I was looking for. That may save me a lot of headaches.
I looked more closely. I have 3 versions of 2015 brochures. It was not till the last one, printed Dec 2014 that the 3trax shows up. Maybe it was implemented earlier and not on the brochure, or maybe it may only be in units that are designated 2015.5??

Either way, it is visually obvious if there are 2 upper rails and one lower rail. And ultimately, there probably are nicely functioning 2 trax slides out there, buying used you have the benefit of the previous owners experience, maybe .

Good luck, I think the hurricane/windsport of recent is a very good price for quality and features offering. And the long wheel base chassis used really handles well on the highway with truck traffic.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 AM   #20

State: California
THOR #7557
Hurricane bunkhouse or ACE bunkhouse

I own the 34J and have a friend with the Ace 30.2. I don't have much to add beyond what has already been said. But it really does depend on you. We have 5 kids and need the extra space. But we are certainly envious of them when they are able to leave the campsite and drive into Yosemite Valley. Something we wouldn't dream of doing with our 34J. But when it is rainy outside, they become envious of us. If you really feel like you need the extra space, go with the hurricane and use a toad. If you don't need to space, go with the Ace and leave the toad at home. Or if you are going to have longer stays, I would also go with the Hurricane. If you are only planning on short weekend trips, I would suggest the ACE. Gas mileage is also significantly different. He get 13.5 and I get about 11 mpg.