Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A hybrid Gemini in the future? Maybe?

Ford is launching a plugin hybrid version of the Transit:
https://insideevs.com/ford-reveal-pl...d-transit-van/

Or maybe a plugin hybrid Class-B.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Interesting...
But as to whether or not this technology makes it's way into our realm: I'd rather use my powers of prognostication to pick winning PowerBall tickets!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ford is launching a plugin hybrid version of the Transit:
https://insideevs.com/ford-reveal-pl...d-transit-van/

Or maybe a plugin hybrid Class-B.
The plug-in sounds great for workers that travel short distances, like plumbers and electricians.

The plug-in also sounds great for RV use if the battery storage capacity can be tapped to power a large inverter capable running the entire house for many hours or days. And when battery gets low if boondocking, the powerful engine and generator would only need to run a short period to recharge battery bank. I’ve been waiting for progress in this direction for over a decade, but it’s been painfully slow. Glad to see PHEV are becoming more common, especially in vans.

Having said that, I think the drivetrain’s cost may be too high for RV-type vehicles which on average get driven +/- 5,000 miles per year. We’ll have to wait for pricing.

The Transit news that interest me most is the mild hybrid mHEV with a 48-Volt electric system and more efficient small Diesel engine mated to a manual transmission. We probably won’t get either in North America initially (small diesel or manual), but a 48-Volt high-capacity factory alternator should/could be a game changer for RVs. Unfortunately, mild hybrids don’t have enough battery energy capacity to power an RV for long, so additional battery capacity will likely have to be added. Regardless, if the factory alternator can produce over 10 kW to charge a large 48-Volt house battery bank, the Onan generator will be a thing of the past.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
30 miles on a full charge...name it "Under Dog". Then...backed by a 1.0L engine??? That wouldn't pull a greasy string from a cat's behind! It will never see the RV life!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
30 miles on a full charge...name it "Under Dog". Then...backed by a 1.0L engine??? That wouldn't pull a greasy string from a cat's behind! It will never see the RV life!!
Keep in mind its a series hybrid. This means that all the 1.0L engine does is generate electricity; all the motive power and torque come from the electric motor. Electric motors are really torquey; especially at 0-RPM: 100% torque available at 0-RPM. Once up to speed you don't need that much power.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm still trying to figure out what the cat is thinking about what Gritz said...
Old 09-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Wow these are coming fast and furious now: A Winnebago EV RV:
Winnebago Unveils Electric Health Care Vehicle | RV Business

Its an F-53 based EV! Yeah it can only go 100 miles or so. LOL but it can run a CT-Scan.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When have Doctors ever been right on time?
That 100 mile range will fit in well with their tardiness issues!
Old 09-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
For local service around a municipality and considering the sensitivity of the environment around hospitals/medical facilities, this is probably a great product. until...one of the fresh out-of-college "brain surgeons" thinks he can sneak it off to beach for the weekend. Look for it on the side of the road soon...somewhere it has no business being.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Aside from powertrain electrification .....

I’m glad to hear that Ford is introducing an “all-new” interior for the full-size Transit. For RV use the Transit seats and access getting back and forth from cab to coach was a step backwards compared to the old E-Series — in my opinion. However, I doubt Ford will address the front 2 seats being closer together, or being much lower to floor so they are car-like. All other major full-size vans have more space between seats, and driver sits higher and more upright. Also, the parking brake placement is horrendous for a van; which restricts movement back to coach. Any improvement in these areas would be great.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/09/fo...-transit-vans/

Quote:
The new two-tonne Transit will pack more fuel efficient engines, increased payload, built-in connectivity and advanced driver technologies when it launches mid-2019. Aesthetically, it comes with a new front end design and an all-new interior with improved stowage space.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Keep in mind its a series hybrid. This means that all the 1.0L engine does is generate electricity; all the motive power and torque come from the electric motor. Electric motors are really torquey; especially at 0-RPM: 100% torque available at 0-RPM. Once up to speed you don't need that much power.

Cruising at highway speed, a full-size Transit van will need about 50 HP on average. For hills and acceleration, the batteries can make up the difference. I think a 1-liter EcoBoost working as a range extender shouldn’t have any problems keeping up in a Class B.

For a larger and heavier rig, like a Gemini, the 1-liter EB may not keep up at higher speeds. I doubt the electric motor is sized for that size and weight vehicle anyway.

I’m with you, and think that for a small and light Class B van camper, this may work great. To go after the European RV market, now dominated by Fiat Ducato, Ford could even supply an inverter/generator like the one scheduled for our North American F-150.

If these functions are intergrated by Ford at OEM level, with more sophistication than Thor or Onan could possibly provide, I’d buy one for sure. It would solve so many RV problems using equipment that was mostly there anyway. The potential is incredible.

With a little software, an RV based on a plug-in hybrid doesn’t need an added air conditioner, or generator, or extra batteries, etc...