Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #8704
Bought a new 2017 Vegas 24.1 and bit the bullet on the ESP. I got my money back with a new radio and new wiper system this year. Going back in next week for a second battery disconnect solenoid and a/c ducting problem. I have done some repairs myself. Glad I bought the ESP.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:16 PM   #62

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I don't have empirical data to prove that 99% of all that buy a lotto ticket, put money in a slot, or purchase a warranty will come out on the short end. We can agree that it is less than 99% but well over 50/50. However I was making a point about how futile it is to convince someone as to why they should NOT buy the normal asking price for any extended warranty. Note: There are winners. Enough winners that can keep the system working because reality is you could be the next lotto winner, jackpot winner, or just your luck your slide went out.

I have stood in line at stores where some customer bought a $29 toaster and paid $33 for 5 year warranty. It is madness to me.

My son has a 2014 Chevy Camaro that Mfg 4 yr/100k warranty on powertrain expired Dec 2018. 2 months ago Chevy dealership said 3rd gear synchros went out and they wanted to replace Synchros and gears $4k expense. I cried but GM Customer Support (not the dealership stepped in) and paid 2/3rds of cost because they say despite it was out of warranty, the miles were well under the 100k. So I am only out $1,200 bucks and new transmission with 3 years warranty added by GM. The ESP warranties are $4k and up, and they will NEVER come to your defense in any repair let alone anything that may be out of warranty.

With that said, I have never purchased an ESP and never had any regrets. I once bought a 30 ft Chaparral boat that previous owner transferred his ESP to my name. I used the warranty once when the cabin fridge went out. The warranty company said it was covered, but I had to bring the refrigerator to them. The boat was at Marina in water and I had no trailer. $500 to just get it out the water. So I get my tools and managed to get it out and take it to the repair place. After 6 weeks, they tell me the compressor went out. I am like this is great because after the $100 deductible I figure to get a brand new fridge. Nope. They would not give me the equivalent repair value to get another , so I had to allow them to put a brand new compressor on the old fridge. Ultimately they did what they were suppose to have done, but had I bought that boat brand new, I would not have had the ESP and when that fridge went out, I would have had a brand new state of the art fridge plus more money in my pocket.
I agree. When you spend more for insurance than the purchase price, something is wrong. I bought a garage door opener many years ago...or was going to. I was told it was "the best" and "the longest lasting" and as they rang it up, they asked if I wanted the extended warranty. I asked "why" since it was the best and longest lasting? He looked at me and I walked away without the purchase...principle of the thing. Still bought a garage door opener somewhere else but it's almost an oxymoron to buy the best and longest lasting and then be asked to purchase protection.
RV EWs are a little different. I don't think many dealers will make the claims that they are selling you the best. I've talked to Provost and American Eagle owners that have many problems....it's the nature of the beast. Like a car, like health or life insurance or any kind....you roll the dice and see what happens.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:25 AM   #63

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Mississippi
THOR #14259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah don't: don't fall for the pressure.

You actually have up to a year and can shop around on the internet if you feel you really need an extended warranty (year = Thor's 1 year bumper to bumper warranty).

In my experience the high pressure sales stuff really benefits them not you--it just "looks good" and since its high pressure short timeframe you don't have time to do the research and thus I usually say no to that.
I agree with JamieGreek! I have NEVER bought an extended warranty on anything and I don’t even know which end of the screwdriver to hold! As he says, you have a year to research your options. What I do on big ticket items is find out the monthly cost, put that amount away in a money market account, and save it for that “what if” time. When it doesn’t come, I have built up a nice emergency fund.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #64

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
State: Texas
THOR #14643
authorized dealer warranty work, I’ll have to check the calendar to see when there’s an opening.

Extended Warranty, bring it in
Old 06-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #65

State: Indiana
THOR #4813
My two cents

Obviously you’ve already made your decision but if your purchase was through Camping World, don’t purchase their extended warranty. They will lie to you about what’s covered.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #66

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by breenw View Post
Obviously you’ve already made your decision but if your purchase was through Camping World, don’t purchase their extended warranty. They will lie to you about what’s covered.
CW has their own plan? Never heard that.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #67

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
CW has their own plan? Never heard that.

They sell the Good Sam plans. And they certainly will try like the dickens to sell you multiple coverages for $6,000 - $10,000. You can weed out some coverages if you want AND you should be able to negotiate 50 - 70% off . Really. They also will mislead you as mentioned about what’s covered. They’ll tell you everything is covered except tires and batteries but that is not the case. Not only are there many exclusions (often summarized as “trim” or other vague term) but there are numerous rules about how to access coverage. And if you don’t follow them precisely enough they can (will) deny coverage with little or no appeal. Some people take real comfort in having coverage and without a doubt some folks come out miles ahead for having it. But like most insurance coverage most people never benefit at all. They sell it by building it into your payments. On a 240 month loan $6,000 only adds about $25/mo. Which isn’t much but it lasts 20 years while the coverage is only for 5 or 7.

One thing to consider is that the dealer makes about a 50% profit on these plans. If you tell them you will be purchasing it (like tell them conversationally while looking at inventory that you wish you’d bought it on your last rig) you might be able to negotiate a better price on the coach. You can then cancel to coverage. Usually if you do it within 60 days you’ll get a 100% refund, prorated if you wait longer. If you have a loan it’ll get paid to the lender but still....
Old 06-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #68

State: Kentucky
THOR #5054
Just say no

Beware if it a Good Sam Plan. The DW wanted us to purchase one for our motorhome (had never bought an extended warranty for anything) so I relented to make her happy. No one other than Camping World will work on it that I have found. Was preapproved to have the wipers fixed at Ford since Camping World could not fix them after having it for aver two months time spread over three trips to the dealership. When Ford tried to bill for the work ($900) the claim was denied because they thought the price was excessive, I had to pay out of pocket to get my MH back and appeal to Good Sam (no luck).
Camping World in Georgetown KY has had my MH since early Jan to fix the level system that has never worked correctly, the awning (mounting bracket broke after recall performed by CW for that exact thing) and the kitchen exhaust fan. They claim it will be ready Friday. This is the third time I will have driven an hour to pick it up. If not for the "warranty" I could have paid someone to fix it right and had it back months ago.