Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: Can the overall length of a rig get to a point where you have to obtain permits to travel over certain roads? (Or in certain States?)

Example: A 40 foot-long Class A that is towing a thirty foot trailer (with car and motorcycles aboard...) can easily get to be nearly 80 feet long...
Trying to go cross country with an RV measuring 80' long would be a nightmare IMHO. My new coach is just under 44' long and my enclosed car hauler is 24', with a slightly extended tongue I am approaching 70'. I plan on staying on Interstates and U.S. Highways, or getting off only within 5 miles for a CG or fuel/repairs. There could be a State or two where I may be close, but in most I am legal.

I suspect if your RV combination was approaching 80' it could be an issue maneuvering in many places. My tag axle wheels turns at slow speeds thus making it a little easier to make much tighter turns with my 24' trailer. Even at that there are going to be many CG's I will not be able to enter.

There is a 45' Provost with a 24' or 26' trailer in the CG we are currently in. If I get a chance I'm going to pick his brain on his experiences.

By the way, you may not need a 30' trailer to travel with your car and motorcycle. We are fitting a Harley trike (over 8' long) and a car inside our 24' V-nose.

US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #22

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I have been hearing that California is talking about the possibility of requiring a Non Commercial Class A for anything over 26000 pounds and an air brake certificate for anything with air brakes. Haven't seen any legislation introduced at least not yet. Currently a standard Class C is all you need for any weight RV with or without air brakes up to the length of 40 feet, not including a tow car, which legally be as long as 65 feet, I'm pretty sure. Over 40 feet a Non Commercial Class A is required.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Washington
THOR #1228
Keep in mind the cut off is GCWR not GVWR even if you aren’t towing.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:34 AM   #24

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Living in the land of fruit and nuts, Florida, where almost everything is ok, I don't need a CDL. When my license was renewed I decided to maintain my long held Class B CDL and am glad I did.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote