Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Illegally Towing? What? Huhhhhhh...

Fellow campers,

I hope that some of you can shed some light on this video.

Apparently, I need to get a special license if I tow with my RV?

Holy Cow! I can be held liable if something happens?

Old 11-19-2017, 01:28 AM   #2

THOR #2025
NYS DMV

Elimination of the Non-CDL Class C License

Under a New York State law that took effect on July 26, 2005, the DMV eliminated the Non-CDL Class C license. In addition, the gross vehicle weight rating and gross vehicle combination weight rating of vehicles that a driver can operate with a Class D license increased.

The Non-CDL Class C license will be eliminated after the DMV changes the driver license system and can apply the different endorsements and restrictions of Non-CDL Class C licenses to Class D licenses. When the changes are made, drivers who have Non-CDL class C licenses will receive Class D licenses with any required endorsements and restrictions. These drivers will receive the Class D licenses when they renew their driver licenses.

Drivers who have Class D licenses do not need to make any change to their class of driver license.

Until the DMV can make the changes, the DMV will continue to issue Non-CDL Class C licenses to drivers who must have endorsements and restrictions that are not yet available for the Class D license.

A driver who renews a Non-CDL class C license on or after July 26, 2005 can apply for a refund of the difference between the renewal fee for the Non-CDL Class C license and the renewal fee for a Class D Driver license. Use form Request for Refund (MV-215) to apply for the refund.

A driver license amendment transaction processed on or after July 26, 2005 that results in the issuance of a Non-CDL Class C license will be processed at no fee.

Changes that Affect Drivers

Listed below are the changes that result from the law and affect New York State drivers.

Remember that:

There is no need to contact the DMV or to apply for any change of the class of your license for the changes to take effect.
No driver license restrictions or endorsement other than those listed below are affected.
Changes for Drivers with Current Class D Licenses. A driver with a Class D license can now operate a passenger vehicle, a limited use automobile, or:

A truck with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less. (Before, a Class D driver could only operate a vehicle with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. or less.), and
A truck with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle, and the other vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less, and
A truck with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs., but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.
A driver with a Class D license can now operate a personal use vehicle (for example a rental vehicle or a recreational vehicle or RV) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less that tows another vehicle that has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more, but the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of the two vehicles together must be 26,000 lbs. or less.

Note: The requirement for an "R" endorsement (Class D or Class E license) to operate a recreational vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more remains in effect.

Changes for Drivers with Current Non-CDL Class C Licenses or Specific CDL Licenses. If you have a Non-CDL Class C license or a CDL Class C license with a "W" restriction that restricted you to operate vehicles with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. or less, the restriction is no longer in effect.

If you have a CDL Class A license, or a Non-CDL Class C license with an "F" endorsement, that has a "02" restriction (vehicles with a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. or less), the restriction is now the same as a "01" restriction (no vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs.).
Old 11-19-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
First your Axis has a GCWR well below 26,000 pounds.
Second, you only need to meet the license requirements of YOUR state (where dl is issued).

(Unlike requirements for things like supplemental brakes where the laws of the state you are driving in apply...)

You are fine with a 'normal' NYS dl and your rig... Towing or not.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #4

THOR #2025
Thanks GMC...I was getting a bit nervous.

Will I be okay if I meet the requirements in NY but not in another state?

How would this conundrum be sorted out?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Drivers licenses are reciprocal in all states... As long as your license allows you to drive whatever your are driving in your home state, you are covered in the other 49...

Again differs from other laws... Things like triple towing, supplemental brakes, etc you are subject to the laws of the state you are driving in...

Drive on and enjoy!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 AM   #6

THOR #2025
As always, thanks for all the input GMC.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 AM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
This subject has been argued numerous times in Texas with even the DMV confused on what the correct answer is. IMO, there are several exemptions to the non CDL, the last one listed says "if driven for personal use" which mine is both under 26k gross & used personally.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 34P
THOR #5872
Reg by stste

Found this hope it helps.
RV Driver's License Requirements
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
When the DOT told the states they had to pass legislation concerning motorhomes only 17 states actually did it. South Carolina was one of the first states to pass laws on motorhomes and I was one of the first drivers to take the test. Test had three parts, written, skills test in a large lot, and road test, we had a 41’ DP at that time. The written test was common sense, skills test was easy as was the road test. SC had two classes of license, class E for driving just the motorhome, and class F if you were pulling a toad.

The main thing to remember is the 26,000 lbs, this is the cutoff between a regular license and a MH license, if you are below 26,000 lbs you don’t need a special license.

Lots of people with bigger rigs still don’t have the required license and probably won’t ever be checked, BUT, and this is important! If you are involved in a wreck and don’t have the correct license insurance can deny your claims and you could be found at fault even if you weren’t.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Why am I NOT surprised, that Bew York State is right in the middle of this confusion?
As long as my Class M license is valid: I'm happy!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #11

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Over the years this topic continues to come up on RV forums. I can see how it could be confusing for most folks. SuperD is correct in how he explains it.

Everyone has to find out what the exact requirement for proper licensing is in their registered state and just go by that. Many times if you pull out your DL and read the back you will see what your class of license allows you to drive.

For example my home state of Florida. The back of my DL reads:

Endorsement: MTCRL also
Class E: Any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs, or any RV.

So in Florida with my Class E, which is nothing special, I can rent a U-Haul box truck to move but it can't be over 26,001 GVWR or I would be illegal. On the other hand, I can legally drive my RV if the GVWR of it is 60,000 pounds, has air brakes, or whatever.

As you might expect, Florida is very RV friendly. California and Texas on the other hand may not be.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Question: Can the overall length of a rig get to a point where you have to obtain permits to travel over certain roads? (Or in certain States?)

Example: A 40 foot-long Class A that is towing a thirty foot trailer (with car and motorcycles aboard...) can easily get to be nearly 80 feet long...
Old 11-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
When the DOT told the states they had to pass legislation concerning motorhomes only 17 states actually did it. South Carolina was one of the first states to pass laws on motorhomes and I was one of the first drivers to take the test. Test had three parts, written, skills test in a large lot, and road test, we had a 41’ DP at that time. The written test was common sense, skills test was easy as was the road test. SC had two classes of license, class E for driving just the motorhome, and class F if you were pulling a toad.

The main thing to remember is the 26,000 lbs, this is the cutoff between a regular license and a MH license, if you are below 26,000 lbs you don’t need a special license.

Lots of people with bigger rigs still don’t have the required license and probably won’t ever be checked, BUT, and this is important! If you are involved in a wreck and don’t have the correct license insurance can deny your claims and you could be found at fault even if you weren’t.

Please show documentation of this old wives tale. Insurance is there to protect you even when you are uninformed, or even do something stupid.

A court may find you to be partially responsible for an accident if you don't have the proper license documenting your training in operating a vehicle AND you did not operate it correctly, but not just because you don't have the license.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #14

THOR #2025
Eventually, we would like to upgrade to a 30-32 foot motorhome. This would ultimately put me over the gross combined 26000lb threshold in NY.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #15

THOR #2025
Honestly, I always thought it to be a good idea of taking a cdl course. I feel like I still have a lot to learn driving a motorhome.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Eventually, we would like to upgrade to a 30-32 foot motorhome. This would ultimately put me over the gross combined 26000lb threshold in NY.
Now I'm getting a headache...
Are we talking about Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings?
Or Gross Combined Weight Ratings?

Old 11-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Now I'm getting a headache...
Are we talking about Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings?
Or Gross Combined Weight Ratings?

GVWR. Check your state laws, not all states require a special license. Google RV license and you’ll find several charts that show what is required in each state. As had already been said, if your state doesn’t require a special license then you are good in all states.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
I'm only at 14,500, with a GCWR of 22,000.
The post before mine (from rvfigs), was getting me confused...
Old 11-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #19

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I figure if this gets to be a huge issue in every state the rv lobbiest will fight it out, it could cut into their sales of larger/heavier units severely. BTW don't ask your rv dealer if a special licence is needed, #1 they don't have a clue, #2 if they did know they aren't about to miss a sale by telling you the truth.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
BTW don't ask your rv dealer if a special licence is needed, #1 they don't have a clue, #2 if they did know they aren't about to miss a sale by telling you the truth.
You've sure got that right!