Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.2 ACE
State: California
THOR #11409
Insurance dropped me

I have a question to all.
We filed a claim with Geico in August for a fire caused in the outside section of our refrigerator, the adjuster came completed all the paperwork and pricing to have it fixed.
We dropped off our class A at the repair center and are to pick it up in the next week are so.
Out of the blue Geico dropped us.
My question is "are they still responsible to pay for our claim our do we have to pull 13000 out of our pocket to get our RV back.
Any help will be appreciated.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
You probably should contact Geico and check with them if they're still paying. I don't anyone on here who could answer your question.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #13049
Yes they do

If the policy was in force at the time of the fire, then yes, they do have to pay the claim. Minus your deductible, of course.

Same thing happened to my parents when their mobile home was damaged by Hurricane Wilma (2005). The company paid, then dropped their coverage. It happens.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #4

THOR #11409
Thanks that was my hunch however trying to make sure. Couldn't get a straight answer from Geico
Old 11-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
THOR #13049
Insurance claim

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from Geico. They make their profits from low-balling or denying claims (and I'm an unrepentant Capitalist). They count on a certain number of claimants not fighting them about the claim.

If they try anything shady, just get one of those lawyers who won't charge you unless you win your case and sue them for repairs plus lawyer's fees plus nuisance and aggravation. Your insurance policy is a legally binding contract, make them stick to the terms or you will see them in court.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoko View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from Geico. They make their profits from low-balling or denying claims (and I'm an unrepentant Capitalist). They count on a certain number of claimants not fighting them about the claim.

If they try anything shady, just get one of those lawyers who won't charge you unless you win your case and sue them for repairs plus lawyer's fees plus nuisance and aggravation. Your insurance policy is a legally binding contract, make them stick to the terms or you will see them in court.
Be careful with the lawyers that don't charge unless you win. Sometimes it's just a referral service that will take a chunk and do nothing and then only collect if you actually do win at court, despite the lawyer doing nothing. DVR a lawyer commerical, then pause and read the fine print on the commercials. Very interesting reading.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
First thing I would is get a new policy effective today forward.

2nd thing is review the estimate received by Geico with RV dealer. It should show financial responsible less your deductible. Generally dealers will honor the insurance estimates; or if you had played it, you may have found a dealer to repair for less and made money on the deal.

If RV Dealer says you are financially responsible, I would hire a lawyer and do EXACTLY what the lawyer tells you and forget opinions like mine.

I think you will win in the end game.

As a guy looking to buy RV and really perplexed on residential versus propane; I would be curious as to the specifics as to what caused the fire?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #8

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
Go and find a local " public insurance adjuster" they will work for you and know all the insurance tricks, usally cost 10%
Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

THOR #11409
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
First thing I would is get a new policy effective today forward.

2nd thing is review the estimate received by Geico with RV dealer. It should show financial responsible less your deductible. Generally dealers will honor the insurance estimates; or if you had played it, you may have found a dealer to repair for less and made money on the deal.

If RV Dealer says you are financially responsible, I would hire a lawyer and do EXACTLY what the lawyer tells you and forget opinions like mine.

I think you will win in the end game.

As a guy looking to buy RV and really perplexed on residential versus propane; I would be curious as to the specifics as to what caused the fire?

Dkoldman

It appears to have been started by a failed propane line and a failure of some type in the norcold refer unit it self.
We were loading the couch for a month long trip in August when it went up in smoke are it most likely would have burnt to the ground.
The adjuster quote was 13000 for repairs and has taken months to complete the repairs and we are almost to the finish line and now they drop our insurance.
Please find attached photos
We did get a new policy the same day we found out it was canceled
Old 11-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #10

THOR #11409
Pic

Dk

Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_080734.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	14293   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_153235.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	14294  

Old 11-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6959
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. Being in the insurance industry & not having a dog in the fight I would say, whoa!!!! Hold up on the lawyers, public adjusters & anyone else who will cost you additional money. I have 0 affiliation with Geico FYI. As mentioned above, insurance is a contract. You had insurance in effect at the time of loss. Give them the opportunity to settle the claim. If for some odd reason Geico doesn't settle the claim to your liking, you don't have to settle with them. You can explore options at that point. Don't "muddy the water" & complicate the issue if you don't have to.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #12

THOR #13058
Wow thank goodness you were there and johnny on the spot. Sounds like you are doing and have done all the right things. Generally I am use to Insurance companies paying out fairly quickly once they have an adjuster do an estimate (less your deductible). I don't know for sure but they seem to be in a rush for you to accept something although they will state that additionally claims can be submitted. I still think the dealer will have required to cleanly clarify who owns the financial responsibility before they started? If it was insurance company they will go after them, if you; you will need to pay them and fight with Geico if you have to. I always pay dealer or repair center directly. Most times I can get repaired for less than the estimate.

Good luck with the repairs.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #13

THOR #11409
dk

I agree all insurance companies have paid out quickly. Geico stated that because it is financed and the amount of the repair thay cut a 2 party check after the repairs are completed.
Well we should find out if we will be happy RVers in the coming weeks and they pay our in a fight.
Ether way lessons learned for sure.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #14

THOR #11409
Chuck jr

Thanks for the information you being in the industry carries alot of weight.
We will see what happens in the next week or so when the RV is completed.
Definitely will keep you all posted for lessons learned and what to expect.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #15

Brand: DRV
THOR #3109
"failure of some type in the norcold refer unit it self."

Was this one of the Norcold units under the recall/settlement?
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #16

THOR #11409
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
"failure of some type in the norcold refer unit it self."

Was this one of the Norcold units under the recall/settlement?
Don't know anything about a settlement or recall.
The refrigerator was a model N611FLT
Old 11-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #17

THOR #13058
https://www.thetford.com/customer-su...l-information/

May not be your model, but may be worth a call anyway?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #18

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as for the insurance question: there is no such legal usage for the term 'dropped', as it is not a possibility in the insurance world. I believe that you either mean that your insurance carrier either 'Cancelled' your policy, mid-term, because they found that you are perpetrating fraud, or your application contained fraudulent information, or that they are simply not 'Renewing' your policy, which is something TOTALLY different - non-renewals happen all the time, every day, from every insurer in the U.S. - it's their RIGHT.

and, while you may be aggravated right now, the insurer of record when your claim occurred will be responsible to pay the claim, unless they can show fraud - otherwise, it matters not whether you 'still' have insurance with them or not - the policy was in-force when the claim occurred.

Now, I would not suggest that a simple claim to an insurance company is normally a trigger for them to 'non-renew' your policy - BUT, you've also not told us ALL the facts about you, your driving history, your claims history(with ANY property or auto with the same company), or really even all the facts as they pertain to THIS claim and/or situation you describe.
This information could heavily impact the company's decision...

Most any company, no... NO company is in business to lose money, or to lose Customers... you can BET that they have a darned 'good' reason to cancel or non-renew someone, and that decision is never taken likely.

But, the real simple fact is this: there are TONS of insurance companies out there that would welcome your business - why does 'your' company have to be disparaged in the process - it's the nature of insurance, after all. You might even find that you SAVE money when you switch - think of that!! : ) Crazy. but sometimes true : )
Old 11-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #19

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
norcold fire

i installed a automatic fire extinguisher in my refrigerator compartment, as this is one the problem area's on motor homes.

link below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #20

THOR #11409
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
as for the insurance question: there is no such legal usage for the term 'dropped', as it is not a possibility in the insurance world. I believe that you either mean that your insurance carrier either 'Cancelled' your policy, mid-term, because they found that you are perpetrating fraud, or your application contained fraudulent information, or that they are simply not 'Renewing' your policy, which is something TOTALLY different - non-renewals happen all the time, every day, from every insurer in the U.S. - it's their RIGHT.

and, while you may be aggravated right now, the insurer of record when your claim occurred will be responsible to pay the claim, unless they can show fraud - otherwise, it matters not whether you 'still' have insurance with them or not - the policy was in-force when the claim occurred.

Now, I would not suggest that a simple claim to an insurance company is normally a trigger for them to 'non-renew' your policy - BUT, you've also not told us ALL the facts about you, your driving history, your claims history(with ANY property or auto with the same company), or really even all the facts as they pertain to THIS claim and/or situation you describe.
This information could heavily impact the company's decision...

Most any company, no... NO company is in business to lose money, or to lose Customers... you can BET that they have a darned 'good' reason to cancel or non-renew someone, and that decision is never taken likely.

But, the real simple fact is this: there are TONS of insurance companies out there that would welcome your business - why does 'your' company have to be disparaged in the process - it's the nature of insurance, after all. You might even find that you SAVE money when you switch - think of that!! : ) Crazy. but sometimes true : )
Turnerfam

I understand your position in your statement. Rest assured there is no fraud and no bashing for my old insurance company I was with them for approximately 30 years and never had any issues over those years.
Was I caught off guard by the cancellation/ non-renewal, of course.
I did change companies and did save money (yeah for us) who new I might have done the change sooner.
My only true question here was if when I field the claim in August and they parted paths with me in November or they still liable to pay for the existing claim from August ????
For us 13k is alot of money and would hope to avoid any further issues other than picking up our RV upon completion and having the insurance company settle up with repair company.
Not really looking to receive any more than that.

Thanks for your comment