Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2019, 11:49 PM   #81
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofracer View Post
Look into the TV set up menu for a section on pairing a device. If the TV has the capability to pair with the phone over bluetooth (should be built into the phone, it's how they hook up to a car hands free setup) pairing it should allow you (again based on the "smarts" built into the TV) project the screen from the phone to the TV. There are other ways if it's a "dumb" TV but it involves buying some hardware, like a Chromcast receiver for the TV's USB port.
No video over bluetooth.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #82

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Now that I have solved my RV internet question with the AT&T 29.99/month unlimited data hotspot:

What are people using for internet based TV? Direct TV Now, Youtube TV, Hulu, etc? One important question is being able to watch sports from my home market when I'm not home. If I read Direct TV now if you are away from your home market you can't watch sports???

Also, who has the best DVR capablity, commercial fast forward, etc????

Pete
So, here is our story. We had Dish at home. On our Amazon hot stick, or whatever it is called, I was able to download an app that allowed me to connect to our DVR at home, this means we could be in San Diego and still able to watch local Portland news and etc. Any recorded shows at home we could watch in our RV when we were away. However Dish dropped HBO and there didn't seem to be any resolution to this so we switched to Direct TV thinking we would have the same capabilities. Turns out Direct TV no longer offers this service. We have Roku and some of the app services are free (NBC news, local station KGW) but others charge a fee. At first I bit the bullet and paid for some of the services until I found out that if I have a service on our Direct TV (HBO, Showtime) then I can use the service on Roku. Still haven't solved how to watch local stations when we are away from home.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:09 PM   #83

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
If locals are that important then you can get yourself a Tablo device and set it up at your house with an antenna and an external hard drive if you need to record.
Then on your device, Apple TV, Roku, Fire stick etc... install the Tablo app and you can stream live local tv or recordings wherever you are assuming you have internet.
For us it works pretty well. There might be a little router/port configuration depending on your home internet.

You’ll end up having to pay the subscription for the Tablo’s guide information after the trial ends so be aware of that. You get a month or so to see if it works for you and you can pay as you go or all in if you want.
We use DirectTV now as our service but it’s DVR option is pretty sparse so we record anything we want to watch on local channels with the Tablo and watch it that way either at home or in the MH.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #84

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
i get ATT U-Verse unlimited TV without slowdown on my Ifone
i get most of the channels that I desire, but not every single one that's on my home TV (must be an agreement with the channels)

so I purchased this Ifone plug-in device which shows what's on my Ifone screen and displays on any TV in coach via HDMI cable

insert HDMI cable in one, and the charge cable in the other (to keep the phone charged)

I have a long HDMI cable so I can sit on couch or in bed and change the channels from my phone.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #85

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We sort of gave up on the idea...
But we carry lots of DVDs, and play a lot of Chess!
We bought 150 dvd's off ebay, (since we never started our own dvd collection). The cost was only 30 bucks or so. And, also play games. No chess tho. We play a bunch of different games. But, "Aggravation", yes, the one we played as kids. BUT, we play using ALL SIX colors. Two people, three colors each. It's a lot of fun.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #86

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
i get ATT U-Verse unlimited TV without slowdown on my Ifone
i get most of the channels that I desire, but not every single one that's on my home TV (must be an agreement with the channels)

so I purchased this Ifone plug-in device which shows what's on my Ifone screen and displays on any TV in coach via HDMI cable

insert HDMI cable in one, and the charge cable in the other (to keep the phone charged)

I have a long HDMI cable so I can sit on couch or in bed and change the channels from my phone.

Yep, we got the same setup. With the U-verse on the IPad (in our case) steaming over the U-verse App live, streaming video is not counted against your data minutes.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:38 PM   #87

Model: Citation Sprinter 24sa
State: Florida
THOR #13813
I use a Verizon Jetpack $60 for 30 days unlimited no throttling. Right now I have 3 devices plus Tlc roku tv connected .Two bars signal strength. You pay for 30 days at a time. Then turn off if your not going to use it for a while. I'm currently in Curry Hammock SP and detect several Jetpack on wifi. It just be popular.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #88

Model: DX 40
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12998
AT&T Hotspot $29.99/mo

Pete,

Can you direct me to finding this offer?
Old 05-02-2019, 12:06 AM   #89

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Search on eBay for 29.99 at&t data.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:19 AM   #90
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Hulu Live one small price get everywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190501_211622.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	17029   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190501_211653.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	17030  

Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #91

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Search on eBay for 29.99 at&t data.
FYI I'm on my second month with the ATT plan. Just ran a speed test and it came back with 12.24 Mbps up and 7.98 down after using 60 GB in the 25 days so far this month. It was much slower in Myrtle Beach State Park though since I can get throttled if the towers are busy.

In comparison my DirectTV U-Verse home internet was 3.60/1.86. Yeah, crappy I know.

Pete
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #92

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
We're using T-Mobile 55+ for the past two years and it works well for us. We stream Netflix and Amazon and usually works without buffering.
When it slows down we go to satellite and watch what our Dish package has to offer. We have Dish at home so the extra receiver costs me $5 per month. The Dish Walley receiver has Netflix with an internet connection and we use an Amazon Fire stick for our Amazon prime viewing. So far works for us.