Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2017, 12:37 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Roadmaster 8700 Invisibrake Hidden Power Braking Stytem

I want to hear about the good the bad and the ugly!

Old 05-11-2017, 01:25 AM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I can only give you the good from my experience... Have had no issues with my Invisibrake at all in well over 5K miles of towing.

Just connect the umbilical, and breakaway cable to the MH, and go...
Mine is hooked up to 'always on' power... Some installations require taillights on to power - but I prefer not being able to forget that.
It handles charging the toad battery as well - connected to both MH power and toad battery.

Towing a 3500-4000 pound 2010 Wrangler - and have never even noticed it there on braking... (contrast - I certainly notice the extra weight on acceleration!)

I wanted a unit that would use the power brakes rather than a dead pedal - and not have something else to put in/out - or more specifically not have to store... Its under the drivers seat - out of the way.

I'd get it again if I were in market.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:43 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Must second everything Greg just said. I had a RV shop mount a similar Unified Tow Brake by US Gear on my previous motor home and previous towed car. Moved to current Vegas and newer roadster that we tow when we upgraded. That was 8 years ago, and it is a snap to connect and disconnect.

It's no big deal to unhook the car, go sightseeing, out to dinner, etc, and hook the car back on. No trailer or dolly or brake box to deal with. Only bad or ugly might be the $$$, but i figure that is just part of the cost of taking a car.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:54 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
We also have had no issues. Works great and can feel the brakes engaging on the tow vehicle.
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Thanks sounds like the info I want to hear. I have read something about it is non-proportional. Not sure this is my first motorhome and want to do it right but THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENTS! Much appreciated and more welcome
Old 05-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Thanks sounds like the info I want to hear. I have read something about it is non-proportional. Not sure this is my first motorhome and want to do it right but THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENTS! Much appreciated and more welcome
When I was looking - proportional was one thing I was looking into... Invisibrake says it is not proportional - but progressive. Here is their explanation:
Quote:
Is InvisiBrake a 'proportional' braking system?
No, it is progressive. When braking is called for, InvisiBrake immediately engages the brake pedal and rapidly ramps up the braking the setting you have selected.
The system has worked fine for me... I have never changed the default setting (easy to do - just never had a need.)
To me only engaging when I use the MH brakes (didn't want it engaging when engine braking) - and making use of the Jeep's power brakes were more important.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote