Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16577
Question inverter compartment overheating?

I have been dealing with an issue where after about an hour of driving the 12v power to the lights, tank sensors and control panel in the hall shut down. I have had to do a complete reset of everything including the 12v battery breaker and reset the inverter. I am thinking it might be heat? the inverter compartment is at the rear of my 40ax and gets well into the 120 degree range. Anyone else having the same or similar issues. What is odd is the residential refrigerator and microwave remain on line.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow! That's pretty darn warm... Can you do something to increase the airflow in there?
By the way: welcome to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #3

THOR #16577
Thumbs up

I just ordered a new fan to add to the compartment. I will have to see if I can find somewhere to get more air inside. Outside of the small maybe 3" vent that is all the inlet there is. That inlet is near the exhaust pipe. I will place the additional fan pushing out that vent. Have to put in another inlet somewhere. I cannot believe I am the only Tuscany owner with this issue?
PS thanks for the response.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It looks as if you've got a workable solution all set: good luck!
Old 09-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggribble View Post
I have been dealing with an issue where after about an hour of driving the 12v power to the lights, tank sensors and control panel in the hall shut down. I have had to do a complete reset of everything including the 12v battery breaker and reset the inverter. I am thinking it might be heat? the inverter compartment is at the rear of my 40ax and gets well into the 120 degree range. Anyone else having the same or similar issues. What is odd is the residential refrigerator and microwave remain on line.
Xantrex Freedom SW list the optimum operating temperatures as -40 F to 140 F. That is for the 2000 watt and the 3000 watt models.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
A great many of the thermostatic controlled ventilation fans are set to come on at 110 f

Mine runs all the time when ambient temperature is above 85 or so when the Inverter is on

That is quite normal they all generate heat

Taking some load off if possible will reduce it
Old 09-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it's doubtful it's anything to do with your Inverter, since it is only providing 120v power to outlets, even though the inverter bay certainly gets warm/hot and the reason for ventilation.... but I think you have something more to do with a loose wire or connection since this is happening somewhat 'randomly', with little other reason...

also, you are losing the inverter because you are losing 12v power, which it needs to operate, probably not because it itself has any issue...
but, it also may bring to light a battery connection, or possibly the 'Use/Store' switch connection, as that itself cuts all 12v power ...

are any other 12v items 'still' working when this happens?
- water pump
- thermostats
- furnace
- roof fans
- slide rooms
- levelers?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #8

THOR #16577
Still no Idea why 12 v house power shuts down while on the road only.

I had the inverter pulled and sent to magnum. They say it tested ok. I guess that is good but I still have no idea other than heat in the bay shutting down the 12v to the coach house side. Add the cost of removal and replacement to the hundreds i have spent so far with RV shops to troubleshoot.

Anyone have ideas on how to check or what to check next.
As soon as the coach gets home I will connect up the extra fan I bought to try to lower the temps in the bay.
I hope for some cool weather to help me determine at what temp it operates without shutting down.

I find it hard to believe that no one on earth had this issue before and has a fix!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggribble View Post
...I find it hard to believe that no one on earth had this issue before and has a fix!
Glad to hear that at least the inverter checked out!
We learn from everybody's experiences in here. You've just become a "Pathfinder" for all of us!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I am a Xantrex guy, but if my inverter overheats, the display panel shows E04 which is the code that the inverter shutdown for temperatures above 158 F degrees. Unless your inverter lost power from the batteries, it should display an error code the reason for the shutdown, even though it has shut down. Mine Xantrex beeps if it is getting near to a set limit and screams when it shuts down until I turn the sound off. I am with Turner thinking you are loosing battery power if the display goes blank, even then it should show a code as soon as power is installed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote