Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Inverter for powering portable fan

On my upcoming trip I plan to do quite a bit of boondocking. I would like a way to run one or possibly two small box or desktop fans when not running the generator! I have a Schumacher 2260 portable power pack. It has two 110 outlets and is rated for 1200 peak amps and 400 watts. Would that work?

Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Have you looked at fans that plug into the USB port? I have one that is pretty small but it circulates the air enough to keep the Coach a pretty even temperature.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

THOR #6203
halibut,
I have one of those but wanted something a little larger mainly to keep my dog cool in the MH when I'm away.
I thought if the power pack would work it would enable me to save on the house batteries. I carry this with me anyway so I may as well put it to use!
I'm just not sure what I can power or for how long!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
A 20" box fan uses 100 Watts on high so your power pack will work to power that type of fan. I can't tell you how long it will power it as I don't know the capacity of your power pack.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #5

THOR #6203
Thanks Tfryman
I think I will test it and see how long it will last!
Old 07-25-2017, 02:15 AM   #6
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
The 2260 XP2260 - Schumacher Electric doesn't provide an amp hour rating - just cranking amps - which doesn't help this application...
It does have a 400w inverter - so can easily handle 100w fan - fo how long you will need to see...

The power pack also has 12v outlets - so a 12v fan or two could be an option as well... or could just run them off the coach batteries which should have far more capacity...

I have two of the 'windshield sized' fans mounted in the RV - on in kitchen and one in bedroom - they move a lot of air...
We run at least one at night when boondocking with no issues... Can do a 3 day weekend without the genny (unless the microwave is needed briefly...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:41 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Thanks Tfryman
I think I will test it and see how long it will last!
Figured out it has a 22 AH battery so probably only 2 hours on high speed.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We have a 1200 watt inverter mounted on the wall near the front passenger seat. Cables run through the floor and connect to the coach batteries. Perfect for a small fan overnight, or a crock pot while we drive. Also great for phone chargers!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You can purchase several different types of 12 volt fans that will run directly from th battery and not require an inverter. Search Amazon for 12 volt table fans and you will see several types. I have a 12 volt table fan I've had for years and it works great.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
We use a couple of 10-inch O2 fans (were gifts) that so far have worked well at night when AC power wasn't available for air conditioning. They run on batteries or can be plugged to cigarette-lighter-style 12-Volt plug with an included adaptor.

They move a lot of air for their size, are fairly quiet (on low speed anyway) and have run multiple nights on a set of batteries, so connected to a 22-Ah much larger battery should run even longer (assuming Schumacher doesn't self discharge by simply being on).

I agree that when running off batteries, a 12-Volt direct current fan would be more efficient than running an inverter to then power a 115-Volt fan. I'd only go that route if I couldn't get a 12-Volt fan large enough.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Does your unit have a Fantastic fan? They run off 12 volts and do a nice job circulating air thru an RV with some windows open and if temps outdoors are comfortable.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote