Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
They're not and the claim they add 60% surface area is highly questionable but they will save you if your hit by lightning.
I've been wondering about lightning. Connected to power, sewer, water... what's the risk to a Class A, with pads or without?

Old 07-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #22

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
They're not and the claim they add 60% surface area is highly questionable but they will save you if your hit by lightning.
Yea, if the goal is to protect the asphalt, which is what the campgrounds want, it doesn't seem like enough increased area.

While it's been a long time ago, back in the '80s on a VERY hot Dallas day I saw a trailer that had been disconnected from a semi and was on it's front stands, sink about 6" or so into the hot asphalt at a Winn Dixie loading area.

That's what campgrounds are tying to avoid. Having their asphalt damaged by a leveling jack when the asphalt is hot and soft.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Thanks Dave, that's how their video shows also. Looks easy enough even for me!
Lol, you are very welcome!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #24

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
Solo installation tip: after lubing the snappad with dish soap around the edge, cinch them up to your retracted jacks with a loop of zip ties (I used 3 connected together on each). Hit the auto-level, and all will snap on at once. Then just cut the zip ties.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #25

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Love mine, I able to get them for free, they work with my Challenger jack system. I used Rapid camp to assist to install.

KC
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 PM   #26

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarter View Post
This is exactly what I did super simple and cheap but actually went to Lowe's for the lumber...even had them cut it for me
I've have 24" long pieces of 2x12 planks painted yellow. I used to use them when required under my fivers leveling system, now I only use 4 when required under my Challenger. It certainly spreads out the load and protects a CG's surface, plus being painted yellow they are hard to miss and leave behind. Guess I can't see paying a bunch of money for something I made for under $20.00. Plus I need the exercise bending down and placing them and retrieving them!
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #27

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I've have 24" long pieces of 2x12 planks painted yellow. I used to use them when required under my fivers leveling system, now I only use 4 when required under my Challenger. It certainly spreads out the load and protects a CG's surface, plus being painted yellow they are hard to miss and leave behind. Guess I can't see paying a bunch of money for something I made for under $20.00. Plus I need the exercise bending down and placing them and retrieving them!
I quit exercising when Reagan was in office!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:51 PM   #28

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I ordered mine on 7/23. They just send me a email that they have been experiencing high volume of orders and will be shipping shortly.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #29

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
I ordered mine on 7/23. They just send me a email that they have been experiencing high volume of orders and will be shipping shortly.
Ordered mine today. Hope to get them soon.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #30

Model: Challenger LX
State: Texas
THOR #6185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I installed the Snap Pads the day I picked up coach and haven't regretted it once. They were easy to install and once on they are there forever unless you cut them off. They provide additional stability on any type of surface and a lot of RV parks are requiring you to have some type of pad under your jacks now. I'm getting too old to climb underneath every time I setup. Bottom line, it's worth the $200.

TechnO I don't mean to forum stock you, but now that I know you have the same rig as I do I looked at some of your other postings. I saw this one and wanted to ask about it. I also ordered these snap pads from Amazon, but when I went to install them they were WAY too big. How big are your leveler pads? I wonder if I can get larger leveler pads so that they will fit in these snap pads.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #31

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
TechnO I don't mean to forum stock you, but now that I know you have the same rig as I do I looked at some of your other postings. I saw this one and wanted to ask about it. I also ordered these snap pads from Amazon, but when I went to install them they were WAY too big. How big are your leveler pads? I wonder if I can get larger leveler pads so that they will fit in these snap pads.
Just in case, pads come in two sizes. Send yours back and get the smaller size. Originally the pads only came in the small size then as the company expanded they added the larger size. Hopefully you can exchange for the correct pad.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
[QUOTE=gbrown;80249]There are two places where you might need them.[LIST=1][*]Asphalt site on a hot day. Your jacks can sink into the asphalt. Some RV camps with asphalt require pads.[*]Sandy muddy spot where the jacks can sink in.
QUOTE]

I park on Asphalt. I laid down a set of 14"x14" two-inch thick pads: it was as if the rig had never been there!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Diddo what the gentlemen SuperD and Bob Denman said. I am pretty sure all the gassers have the same pads because Thor purchases all their products wholesale bulk because it's cheap. Sometimes they run out of a specific item half way through the year and use a different part on the same year model that is why every coach is unique and of course have their own personalities.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #34

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
I have been seeing a lot about Snap Pads for motorhome jacks. I don't understand the need unless your in a grass or sand area. Is there a benefit even on concrete or asphalt ?
ww.rvsnappad.com

I love them. They give extra 1.5” and a larger footprint.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 AM   #35

THOR #4443
Quote:
You ordered the wrong ones.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:36 AM   #36

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
You may not have this issue, but measure your pads. My front and rear are different sizes. I ordered 4 based on the front pad size and discovered when I went to install the back pads were bigger.

Even with just two we can tell a difference. Wish they’d come out with a 12” pad.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:52 AM   #37

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
I don't think it's strictly a necessity, just a nice upgrade. When my wife and I visit my parents house we "camp" on one side of their driveway which is relatively flat except for the drop off toward the street--that's right where the rears jacks land. Because they are at the extreme end of their extension range, and the feet rest on inclined concrete, there is some noisy slipping as weight adjusts during normal living. The SnapPads stopped all that.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #38

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
I have been seeing a lot about Snap Pads for motorhome jacks. I don't understand the need unless your in a grass or sand area. Is there a benefit even on concrete or asphalt ?
ww.rvsnappad.com

I bought a set when they first came out. Didn't notice much difference. Probably one of those impulse purchases I could have done without.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:34 PM   #39

THOR #4443
I've been in many campgrounds that have been asphalt and concrete and they require something between your steel jack shoes and the surface your parked on. The snap pads eliminate me having to carry some sort of wood or plastic blocks.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #40

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
I use old cutting boards with a handle hole that can be hooked with a rod and hook on it or just tie a rope to them. Under a couple of $$ at good will.
If you leave them no big lost. They come in all sizes and thickness. The thicker the better.
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote