Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2015, 02:47 AM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Just returned...

Just got back from our Labor Day trip (yeah left a day early). We were in a no-internet zone (in Canada..don't want those roaming charges).
Spent the weekend at a "state park" there (The Pinery Provincial park: http://www.pinerypark.on.ca/).
I experimented with the awning, putting it away lowered by two notches. It turns out you can put away the awning with it lowered--lowering it just changes the pivot point on the lowest arm and does not change the way it stows.

Going across the border to Canada the motorhome in front of us had their rear slide out about 6"!

Coming back into the US the TSA officer was asking more about the Axis than security questions!

Our lower drawer decided to "let go"--looks like the latch holding it in for travel broke. As a bonus when I had the drawer out I found a completely wired up 120V outlet just lying on the floor! I figure it is/was the outlet for the outside TV which ours doesn't have LOL. I may have to find a place for it in the kitchen area.

When making the last turn to the house the bathroom door slammed open and jammed against the fridge--the post that rides in the track came loose allowing the door to wedge against the fridge hinges. Sigh I may be disassembling a door tomorrow...

Other than that camping was great:

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Update:
Fixed the drawer latch. Turns out that Camping World carries the exact same latch used for the drawers in the Axis:
Heavy Duty Push Latch - RV Designer H316 - Cabinet Hardware - Camping World

Fixed the bathroom door as well. When the dealer replaced our door (our camper was used as a show unit and someone at a show just yanked on the bathroom door breaking the wood at the top where the "closing pin" holds against the roof) they didn't adjust the pin from the end of the door to the track above. Thus almost all the weight of the door was on the track and the rider. This caused the two screws at the top holding it all together to gradually back out over time (driving, and repeated opening/closing). When we made our turn the top was loose enough to let the door wedge up against the refer pinning it with the refer hinges.
My fix was to remove the screws and dip each one into my standard "camper loctite": Elmer's waterproof wood glue and screw them tightly back into the door. When the glue dries I'll be good to go.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
JamieGeek...I really enjoy your posts! You do a lot of traveling and I appreciate how you share your experiences! We hope to get out a bit more in the coming months and get more comfortable with our Hurricane. Thanks for the pics, suggestions and advice!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
After working on the kitchen with the drawers out I figure I may be able to make use of that spare outlet. There is room near the sink or under the cooktop. An extra one could be handy in the kitchen.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
On the drawer latch, I found on my trip to Alaska, that sometimes if you pull the drawer out too slowly, the latch "springs" back in rather than staying out. If this happens, slamming the drawer to attempt to close it, breaks off the piece of the latch. If it does not close and latch DO NOT slam it. You have to remove the drawer and carefully pry out the latch (or replace it). You can see it better and test it on the two latches that hold the piece under the TV in the living room.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys
On the drawer latch, I found on my trip to Alaska, that sometimes if you pull the drawer out too slowly, the latch "springs" back in rather than staying out. If this happens, slamming the drawer to attempt to close it, breaks off the piece of the latch. If it does not close and latch DO NOT slam it. You have to remove the drawer and carefully pry out the latch (or replace it). You can see it better and test it on the two latches that hold the piece under the TV in the living room.
On ours the spring broke and then the drawer slid out dislodging the rails. Turns out the back of the rails just snap into some L-brackets. On ours the L-bracket screws were not tight allowing the drawer some play (on the drawer above it the screws are tight!?).

The piece of wood under the TV is removable?? I didn't notice that--now I have to investigate!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #7

THOR #1765
I installed an HDMI cable on the TV and keep it underneath that piece. Then I can put the counter extension up and plug my computer into the TV and watch shows and movies that I have downloaded. Your problem sound like another in a litany of problems due to poor installation.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #8

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Wow Jaimie, actual screws!

We lost a drawer the first time out. Careful inspection revealed there were no screws holding the back of the slides. There were also no holes indicating that they had never been installed.

With all of the loose screws they leave in every nook and cranny you might think one or two would have found their way into the slide...

Regards,

Randy
Old 09-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
The piece of wood under the TV is removable??? I can't wait to get home at lunch and check it out. Jamie, have you looked into it?

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Jamie, have you looked into it?
Nope haven't been back to the camper storage lot since Monday.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #11

THOR #1765
That gives you access to the back of the TV. The TV swings out and you can lift it up and off. I have had mine out several times. I cut a bigger hole into the cabinet above the sink from there so I could run lines from the battery to an inverter and run the TV when I am dry camping.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #12

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Not knowing the board was removable I have managed to get the TV down a couple of times but it is really tough to do.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote