Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
Keep it unstuck?

We are in a host spot in a National Park for the next three months. I need to find a strategy to keep our black water system flowing. Our Thetford toilet bowl opening is directly over the black water drain pipe. Solid matter quickly blocks the drain and piles up well before the tank fills. Getting out the swizzle stick has become a more often than weekly chore. Question...how much water would I need to pre-load in the black tank to keep things flowing? Or is there a better system for a stationary motorhome that does not get sloshing around on the road? Suggestions VERY welcome.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca

Old 07-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Since you have three months, I would start by not putting any TP in the toilet and adding an inch or two of water and something to break down the solids before the first dump and see if that works. If not, add 2 more inches and so on. Since you probably have unlimited water and ability to dump, adding lots of water seems like an easier solution than having to "swizzle" it every time. TP is what always seemed to clog my boat head, no matter what I did. Once I convinced my wife not to put any in the toilet, my problems went away,
Old 07-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
We had that problem one time when we first started out, and switching to Thetford TP prevented future issues.

If you are not limited by water, and have sewer connection at site, I think I would start with lots of water (maybe half a tank) to test whether that solves the problem, and if it works, then gradually reduce the amount.

In any case I would buy toilet paper that dissolves quickly. Not all brands are equal even if made for RVs. You may want to test some yourself.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: New Mexico
THOR #5168
Stuck toilet paper

The tech line at Thor recommended squirting Dawn Dish Detergent into the toilet coating the sewer pipe.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Possible solutions:

Eat low fiber, near liquid diet and supplement with laxatives.

Use public bathrooms for solid deposits. (will also solve odor complaints)

Find a species of cave fish known to like poop and establish them in the holding tank.

Drop an M-80 in the toilet periodically.

Dig a hole in ground directly under toilet. Cut hole in holding tank above the hole in ground, Save the dirt from the hole in ground and replace it prior to departure.

Check out the results of this amazon search:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_982un4xfli_e

I am confident these will also work with homo sapien waste.

If none of these work, check back with me, I will supply more solutions..

Ken