Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Florida
THOR #4153
Keeping RV cool

Have 2016 Thor Windsport 29 m (31 ft). Staying at Myakka River Motorcoach Resort Port Charlotte Fl over Memorial weekend. Can't keep the RV cooled and we have 2 french bulldogs. Going on 3 month trip end of June to Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah and back home so the RV temp concerns me. Any suggestions. This unit has only one air conditioner. Thank you.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You could start with a cover for the front windows--an outside cover so none of the sunlight gets in. Something like a Magne Shade or a Sunguard RV Windshield cover.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #4153
Thank you. I will definitely check into the shades.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Shades like what Jamie suggested will help... Requesting a site with some shade when available helps as well..

And your summer tour of mostly northern states will likely not see sustained high temps as your current southeast trip. (Port Charlotte shows mid 90's this week...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:32 AM   #5

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
It helps if you reduce the cooling area inside the coach. Leave the slides in. On our Vegas 24.1 we also use reflectix to block heat from coming in through the the front windshield. To further reduce the cooling area we hang thick blankets from the overhead bunk to completely block out the front cab area further preventing heat from coming in from the front. Other steps include stuffing the foil insulated vent pillows into the ceiling vents. Refliectix in the sun facing windows will also help.

It looks like the AC is centered over the bedroom area in your rig. If you could create a thermal barrier such as a curtain to hold the cold air within that space your AC should be more than adequate keeping that small space cool for the pets to hide out in.

During our trip along the gulf coast last summer we experienced days over 95 degrees that overwhelmed our AC capacity until we learned all the little tricks to keeping things cool.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Reflectix, spray-on glue, and this panel:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kamo-Panel-...Panel/50113730

Cut the panel into window sized pieces. You can do this with a razor knife. Make them so they fit just inside the side valances and tall enough to slide behind the pull-down shade. For windows with the turning knobs that open the bottom of the window the panels can sit on top of the knobs at the bottom. Other windows that have no knobs will need the Command Wire Hooks (stick-on) to hold the panels up. Cut the reflectix so it is about 1 inch smaller than the panel on all edges. Use the spray-on glue to adhere the reflectix to the plain side of the panel. Let dry, put in your windows and feel the difference.

Also, besides closing the front window curtains, install floor to ceiling thermal panels behind the cab area so that entire area can be closed off. I used 2 of these panels:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These curtain carriers:

And this track:

Old 05-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #7

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Minnesota
THOR #5217
You might not need AC in northern MN...Lake Superior keeps it cool up there!
Since you're going to MN you might want to put Two Harbors on your list. Gooseberry Falls is a wonderful park. Also, the campground overlooks Lake Superior...pretty sunrises over the lake, lake breezes, and places to walk to.
And you won't want to miss Split Rock Lighthouse. It's probably the #1 park destination in MN...and a short drive from the Two Harbors campground.
...and if it's the end of August, The MN State Fair is the best...IMHO (grin)

Blondie & The Bee
2016 Palazzo 33.2 (Blondie)
2014 yellow Kia Soul (The Bee)
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:11 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I agree what the writer before me said. Up at the lake you may not need air (and all mentioned sights are great). But down here in the Twin cities area, most of Wisconsin and South Dakota you need air. I had all my side windows tinted with a dark, mirrored/reflective film made by 3M. This film helps a lot to keep the unit cool. I also have the eflective bubble stuff cut to a size that I can put it to the outside of the front window. I hold it there with some bungee cords and the windshield wipers. This makes a lot off difference with the inside temperature. I tested this out about two years ago while parking in March in Port Charlotte, FL. My unit has about the identical size as yours has, and I get along with one air con. However, I have a ceiling fan installed in the bedroom to keep better air movement there.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 AM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
Check your AC to see if the intake and return air divider(It is insulated about 2 inches thick) has come out of place. Remove the AC cover (4 screws), with AC off look inside to see the divider. If it is out of place the return air will bring the cold air back into the AC making very ineffient. My divider was sideways. Sorry no pictures right now. For a better view you can also take the next panel off, as well. It might looking inside easier. I hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Go to the modifications section, Jerry's Hurricane mods, last 3-4 pages, and look at the AC mod. The mod involves cutting a hole in the AC cover and adding an extra vent. If you can't do this mod then open the slotted vents on each end of the cover rather than using the ceiling ducts, you'll get a little bit more air this way.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #11

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
I have reflectix cut for every window. Helps considerably. However, the op is sitting in 95 to 97 degree weather. That's dual A/C territory. Lived there for 35 years.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
A quick and simple solution to the front windshield is a big reflective sunshade, similar to what you would use in a car windshield. It just fits our 2016 Vegas (with the bigger windshield). You'll have to cut it down for smaller windshields.