Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: California
THOR #9748
Keeping warm - dry camping

I understand running the generator at night is dangerous. So other than lots of blankets how do you keep warm?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9606
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
I understand running the generator at night is dangerous. So other than lots of blankets how do you keep warm?
A properly installed and maintained generator with propane and CO2 detectors shouldn't be any more dangerous at night than during the day. We've run ours at night many times. All three kinds....gas, propane, and diesel.

Other than that, lots of propane for your heater and more blankets.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you are dry camping I don't think there is any advantage to using an electric heater over the propane furnace.

Its advantageous if you have electrical hook ups simply because you are saving propane and using the campground's electricity for heat.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
Why would running a generator at night be dangerous.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I often have my generator running all night when dry camping. I install a Gen-Turi generator exhaust vent which lifts the exhaust above the RV. This also helps a little with the noise. I sleep better knowing it is not letting the exhaust out near my bedroom slide.

If you happen to be parked near another RV, they appreciate it as well.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabotski View Post
Why would running a generator at night be dangerous.
If there was a way for the exhaust to enter the coach you could have CO issues.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #7

THOR #9748
I had read in the manual not to run the generator at night due to CO hazzard. Yes have CO Detector. The exhaust is underneath and can not be re routed. I have a Generator for the house and the building code says it has to be 3 feet from any window.

Someone said electric heater, I have one and use it when plugged in, but no power when camping in the desert.

Anyone come up with a 12 heater solution?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We also use a Genturi with our generator for things like AC and microwave. We have 400W of solar that keeps the batteries pretty charged on sunny days, depending on power consumption. We have found that using electric heaters during the day and propane furnace at night works best, keeping the nighttime temps down a bit to conserve LP. Plus we have 3 dogs who want to share the bed with us for a big snuggle pile on cold nights!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #9

THOR #9748
My concern is at night. During the day there is plenty of activity to open doors etc. so running the generator is not a concern.

I have found a number of electric heaters. The trick is how much power they need and can my coach batteries provide it overnight.

Then how much heat do I need. Would a 150 Watt heater be enough?
Found this one for $100, 300 watts (that is a 25 amp draw). https://www.amazon.com/Back-Seat-Hea.../dp/B0002D6JW8

I am in a 24' Class C so not in huge space.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I had read in the manual not to run the generator at night due to CO hazzard. Yes have CO Detector. The exhaust is underneath and can not be re routed. I have a Generator for the house and the building code says it has to be 3 feet from any window.

Someone said electric heater, I have one and use it when plugged in, but no power when camping in the desert.

Which manual would that be? 12 VDC heaters will not last very long overnight unless you have a very large battery bank.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you think that you might get some generator exhaust inside the coach: add an exhaust extension, that takes it up to the roofline (or higher!)...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #12

THOR #9748
I have 2 6v deep cycle batteries rated for about 210ah. The spec say I can get 10 hours @ 20 amps or 5 hours at 35 amps. That is ideal with fully charged new battery. A 300 watt heater will draw 25 amps. So the idea is that we warm up the coach before bed and when someone gets up for a bio break then the heater goes on for maybe 4 hours.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Why not just run your propane heater? That way the batteries only have to power the blower and controls.

Quote:

....cut...

If you must go electric, instead of 12-Volts, why not use an inverter? In the power range you're looking at, inverters are really cheap.

Regarding your other posts -- we use a 1,000/1,500 watt electric heater, and found that 1,000 watts is normally adequate to keep our mostly uninsulated van comfortable if it's not too cold outside. The 1,500-watt setting has worked good enough down to high 20s F.

Based on our experiences, I doubt 150 to 300 watts would heat enough to keep your entire motorhome comfortable when cold outside. I'd stick to propane for heat.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #14

THOR #9748
I just assumed the propane heater fan needs 110vac, I guess I will have to check that out.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
I just assumed the propane heater fan needs 110vac, I guess I will have to check that out.

Nope the typical Atwood furnace runs on 12V.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:09 AM   #16

THOR #9748
To my surprise (newbie), the Propane heater system does operate on 12 volts. So no need to run the generator at night.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
To my surprise (newbie), the Propane heater system does operate on 12 volts. So no need to run the generator at night.
Thanks
12v yes, but the fan is a major power draw. I don't have numbers but it can consume your batteries, thus the need for the generator. Many dry campers opt for propane catalytic heaters. There's a bit of info on the forums. You need to have adequate ventilation. A friend of mine, a desert rat, runs the hose in from a separate bottle thru a window, ensuring he wakes up in the morning. There can be issues with them at high altitude with decreased O2. I'm looking into it.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #18

THOR #9748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
12v yes, but the fan is a major power draw. I don't have numbers but it can consume your batteries, thus the need for the generator. Many dry campers opt for propane catalytic heaters. There's a bit of info on the forums. You need to have adequate ventilation. A friend of mine, a desert rat, runs the hose in from a separate bottle thru a window, ensuring he wakes up in the morning. There can be issues with them at high altitude with decreased O2. I'm looking into it.
I measured the fan power draw, it was 7.7 amps. If it ran for 10 hours constantly it would take down the battery 77 amps. There is no way it would deplete a 200ah battery array overnight.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 AM   #19

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
I measured the fan power draw, it was 7.7 amps. If it ran for 10 hours constantly it would take down the battery 77 amps. There is no way it would deplete a 200ah battery array overnight.
Okay, depletion wasn't intended as total. How many recharge cycles will you get out your golf cart batteries if you run them all the way down? Each time, (warning! generalization coming) you total them out you've cut the life of the battery in half. So running them down to 50% is standard procedure, yes, running to 20% occasionally is okay.
So, back to your calcs, take the 77 amps, add in the pump, ;lights and anything on the inverter and you are running your generator the next morning to recharge your batteries.
Just sayin'.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:35 AM   #20

THOR #9748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Okay, depletion wasn't intended as total. How many recharge cycles will you get out your golf cart batteries if you run them all the way down? Each time, (warning! generalization coming) you total them out you've cut the life of the battery in half. So running them down to 50% is standard procedure, yes, running to 20% occasionally is okay.
So, back to your calcs, take the 77 amps, add in the pump, ;lights and anything on the inverter and you are running your generator the next morning to recharge your batteries.
Just sayin'.
I guess I need to say I would run the generator in the evening to run stuff, and start with a fully charged battery. Once I go to bed everything is basically off except for the heater. My calculation 77 amps was if the fan ran all night, worse case. In reality it would go on and off as needed to keep the coach warm. My real guess is maybe 20-30% or about 2-3 hours overnight. Now we are talking about only 23ah or 11% of the battery capacity. In the morning the generator comes on (wife wants coffee). I think there is a 50 amp charger so a recharge happens in an hour with coffee.

There seems to be no way the batteries don't hold up over night.