Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #13898
Spare Tire Carrier

Good morning! We purchased a 2019 Thor Vegas 25.6 last November. We are now looking for a spare tire carrier. Had one on order, under chassis mount. The dealer for that type indicated that it would not work. For those of you that own a Thor Vegas what do you use for a spare tire carrier?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Most dont do anything. THey have roadside assist. If I traveled remote places (Like Alaska- lol) I would carry a spare.

I carry a small air pump, tire plugs and tire foam "just in case".

Do a search on this subject.

Several members have posted thier home made and store bought tire carriers (some under the RV, some bolted to the rear body and others bolted to the receiver hitch).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
State: California
THOR #10509
I like the Roadmaster Tire Carrier. I use it with my Class C. Slips into the rear hitch carrier.

Roadmaster 195225-S Spare Tire Carrier for Motorhomes
Old 02-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerddd View Post
I like the Roadmaster Tire Carrier. I use it with my Class C. Slips into the rear hitch carrier.

Roadmaster 195225-S Spare Tire Carrier for Motorhomes

X2 on the Roadmaster. It is a serious piece of kit that’ll set you back about $500. But it will outlast several RVs and will save you from having to lift heavy dirty wheels. It’s actually designed for bigger class A wheels but works just as well for 16 inchers. I do not carry tools to change my tire but I’m confident that roadside service will go a whole lot better and faster if I have a suitable spare on site.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5337
Spare tire on Vegas

This is a combination of a double receiver and a modified Curt tire carrier from E Trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0255.jpg
Views:	1819
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	15471  
Old 02-02-2019, 01:20 AM   #6

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbottom View Post
This is a combination of a double receiver and a modified Curt tire carrier from E Trailer
I like that.
I could build one like that with a Reese extend receiver.
You can still trailer haul with it too it appears.

The one I fabbed is underneath, because we have a ramp door above the hitch.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Some have figured out a way to mount a spare underneath their Vegas/Axis. Some take just a tire. Many of today's cars no longer have a spare.

A search here for "spare tire" will lead you to threads on this well-discussed topic. I would be more interested if we traveled to more remote places, or if our travel involved really tight time restraints.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbottom View Post
Good looks. I got one of those for my RV, and then I thought about the tire and rim and I'm still thinking about the total cost.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #9

THOR #13869
What initiated me into wanting to carry a spare was a conversation with the Good Sam Club.
Upon discussing the need to upgrade its membership, TT to RV, I was assured roadside assist was covered even for my car, pick up truck, or motorcycle!
Then I was told changing a flat tire was included in it too, if I was not too far remote from a participating service center.
Here it is: they do not cover you not having a spare tire to change to.
There you have it, how much does a spare tire on a rim cost, for them to bring to you wherever you happen to be?
I decided to carry a spare!
Old 02-04-2019, 02:57 AM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Mine isn't a Vegas...but have a look underneath to see if it's similar

Mine had to attachment points a few feet forward from the rear bumper on each side...on the frame rails. Tabs with mounting holes
And a third attachment point near the bumper on teh center line. It is a piece of threaded rod pointed down.

Ordered a factory rack from thor through the dealer

In the picture of the rack on the counter, the sticker with barcode is on a plate with a hole in it that mates up to the threaded rod at the rear.

Sorry, the installed pic is the best I have of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	15511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160520_160633392.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	15512  

Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 AM   #11

THOR #908
oh, was going to say...
I think that I would always try to have a spare on hand for any future rv
I might do just a tire with no rim,but at least I'll have a tire.
Don't want to rely on availability and pricing someplace out in the boonies on a Sunday. Also, even if a tire is available locally it may significantly slow the responese of roadside assistance. With a spare any available repairman can take the call...but without the spare you have to wait for a shop with a tire to respond..or wait for one to source a tire before they can come to you.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 AM   #12

THOR #10354
Rear clearence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

Mine had to attachment points a few feet forward from the rear bumper on each side...on the frame rails. Tabs with mounting holes
And a third attachment point near the bumper on teh center line. It is a piece of threaded rod pointed down.

In the picture of the rack on the counter, the sticker with barcode is on a plate with a hole in it that mates up to the threaded rod at the rear.

Doesn't the tire and frame assembly bottom out when you enter a gas station driveway? The rear up-rake is gone.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:46 AM   #13

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

Well, I have a 34 f windsport and aside from not having brackets or anything else there, the Generator exhaust would have to be relocated too, so I bought a combination hitch and spare tire bracket. Now to spring for the rim and tire.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #14

THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Well, I have a 34 f windsport and aside from not having brackets or anything else there, the Generator exhaust would have to be relocated too, so I bought a combination hitch and spare tire bracket. Now to spring for the rim and tire.
Easier access too!
Old 02-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #15

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
Doesn't the tire and frame assembly bottom out when you enter a gas station driveway? The rear up-rake is gone.
No, not at all. It's tucked up in nicely. There's a part of the hitch framework that's the lowest point on mine, and it has drug a time or two. Not often and it hasn't been a big problem though. With the 32ft models that thing is hanging very far back so it's only natural.

While it's not the most easily accessible thing, the tire is fairly easy to get to back there and has absolutely been not in the way...except maybe weight. (a jack is more or less needed to access the thing nicely, but that's not what I mean by weight issues...)

I do think sometimes though a good compromise might be to get rid of the rim...only to save that weight hanging back there behind the nearly overloaded drive axle. It's good to have a spare rim in case it gets damaged with the flat, but that might have been an ok risk to take....
Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #16

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I have a Thor Siesta 24 SS and am using a hitch spare tire mount with a short hitch extender and two anti-rattle braces to keep everything solid due to the weight of the tire and rim.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #17

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Spare Tire

I have looked at both Curt and Roadmaster, the Roadmaster is a better quality
and would not have to lift the tire on to mount, but up here in Canada the Roadmaster is $800 and the Curt is $175 A 6 inch tire is not that heavy so am going with the Curt and with the rim and tire its $500 all in. I think if I was just driving on interstates or The Trans Canada Highway I would not worry about a spare but am doing Alaska this year and will feel more comfortable with a spare and rim.
2018 Compass 23TB
Old 02-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #18

Model: Vegas
THOR #12387
I have a Vegas 25.2 with the rear slide out. I bought the Roadmaster because it pivots out of the way for the slide-out and also allows a trailer or toad to still be towed. My Camper King and Progressive insurances will both pay for the tire change but only if I have a usable spare. I don't have any changing tools but will always carry the spare so that a service truck only has to make one trip.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #19

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I have a Thor Synergy which is a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. It came with a full size. spare tucked underneath. So if needing a change I would just call for roadside covered or not. My previous RV a 33 footer had no spare so when I got a flat 1100 miles from home I just called a roadside tuck tire outfit. Told them the brand model ply rating and size of the tire. They came out, mounted the tire on my rim and installed it right on the side of the road.

Some outfits (mostly semi truck) have service trucks equipped to do roadside tire and rim swaps. Worked for me.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:20 AM   #20

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #6975
I have a Vegas 2018 and the spare tire mounted will fit between the last crossmember and the hitch it goes clear up to the floor . i use a piece of angle iron that sets on the frames and holds the tire in place . I have a hole in each end of the angle iron that a bolt drops through so it cannot come out or move . It is completely up out of the way it is about the trailer hitch so there’s. it is completely up out of the way it is about the trailer hitch so there’s no way that it can drag . It is not the easiest thing to get out but it is completely possible and how many times do you take it out . At 80 years old I can manage it so I’m sure most of you can . About the only time you take it out is when you trade your RV . I opt for a new wheel and bought a used tire on eBay cost was very minimal and it gives me peace of mind. I have a Thor Vegas 24.12018