Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Air Conditioner Noise & Thermostat ?

I just replaced the compressor in my AC, as it had been out of service for a while. I had forgotten how noisy the AC is when running. It’s been a while since I had to use AC while in an RV (like about 10 years) and now I’m wondering if the AC in the Vegas is just exceptionally noisy or is it just mine? In order to hear the TV set in the front area we have to turn it up to about 3/4’s volume.

Also the thermostat seems whacky. I set it to 72/73 degrees and it runs forever. I started pushing the set point up and it went to almost 80 before the unit shut down. Then I brought it back down to a set point of 75 to see how long it would take before it came back on - just about 5 minutes. Now it’s running again and showing no sign of shutting down any time. I know all thermostats have an overshoot point but I’m wondering what that is for this unit?

Old 02-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah they are noisy..... Is it working Okay? Mine is loud but not 3/4 volume loud. We can still talk next to each other just fine but not if someone in the bedroom and other up front.

Get a digital thermostat - it works much batter. Coleman Mach has a replacment one for your OEM stat and the colored wires (like 7 of them) match exactly - works great.

Some have replaced the inside AC cover with an insulated one (but has no outlet vents - only the return air vents). Im toying with this idea as well. I will post something in the spring to let you all know my results.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
I had both of these problems. Definitely, recommend a digital thermostat.

Mine is a ducted system. I found that most of the noise was caused by the air blowing across all sorts of different surfaces before even getting to the ductwork. I went wild with HVAC tape and sealed all the cracks. It also helped with airflow. About a month or two later I started it and for a moment forgot about all the work that I did and thought something was wrong with it because it was such a drastic change.