Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Nevada
THOR #4991
Lack of quality control and warranty issues industry wide

Every RV owner and prospective owner should subscribe to RV D@ily Report. As its on-line banner reads, “All the news impacting the RV industry – all the time”. It’s actually a must read and its free.

The latest opinion piece “that’s just what happens with an RV” discusses the most common problems with quality control and service issues that plague us all. The common response from dealers and service personnel is “that’s just the way the industry is.” How many times have I heard or read that response. The author goes on to say, “I heard no difference from the owner of a Phaeton motor coach to us with our “starter” rig or to a neighbor with a Casita. I find it amazing. All the shoulder shrugging, all the half smiles, and all the nods of understanding — but no anger, no outrage.”

“And, I ask them all the same question, if this was your car, would you feel the same way? If all your vehicles had half the issues you related that your RV does what would you do? Would you be so accepting? Why is this different?” I am convinced, that as you read this, if you are an RVer, you can relate to my aggravation. I am hoping that some of you out there, on the road, in the campgrounds across the USA and talking in blogs on the Internet will follow my lead and become less accepting and more vocal about our needs and wants as a consumer.”

“Write a letter, call the manufacturer’s sales rep and complain loudly. Do not take accept the excuse “this the way it has to be with an RV.” Let’s start a movement and talk it up!”

The author, Joanne Lewandowski, is one of us. A full time RV owner who is fed up with the status quo in the industry regarding shoddy workmanship, and difficulties even getting repair work done. If the automobile industry operated this way, they would have gone out of business right away.

Why is it we as consumers expect and receive quality products and responsive and competent warranty repairs when we buy a $25,000 automobile, but expect nothing of its kind when we buy a RV costing thousands and multiples of thousands of dollars more?

As a new motor coach owner I refuse to accept the mantra “that’s just the way the industry is” any longer. Taking a scene out of the movie “Network” and Peter Finch, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore.” It’s time we, as RV owners, stood up and demanded better of the industry.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
State: Georgia
THOR #5807
I must be the exception. I've owned a pop-up, two bumper pulls and currently have a 5ver on order. Over the years, I've only had 1 warranty issue and it was taken care of immediately with great customer service. I keep hearing all the horror stories, but have yet to experience any myself in over 20 years of RV ownership. Guess I should count my blessings!