Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 30q
State: Ontario
THOR #4175
how can I run tv from an inverter?

Hello, my class a Thor did not come with a generator- 2011 previous owner bought it and parked it with shore power so did not order a generator with it. I have bought a generator but am going to sell it and want to be able to run my tv from the coach batteries and an inverter. The vast majority of the time we have shore power, but the once in a while when we do not I would prefer to run tv from the chassis batteries. I am not looking to run the ac or any other 12 volt products. Can anyone provide me some ideas of how I can do this, or point me to where I can do some research to find answers?
Thank you
Jim

Old 05-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Several options...

I 'cheated' and just installed a 12v TV in the bedroom to cover those cases...
(My 110v tv was mounted to a cabinet door that swings up... on the inside of the door I hung a 12v TV that swings down to use... and out of sight when not in use.)

You can use a small inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter - and move the tv plug to that when needed...

You can wire an inverter into the TV circuit (now we're stepping up to an inverter with a transfer switch...)

You can wire an inverter to power a subpanel - but now we are getting beyond what you want/need.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:47 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post

....cut....

You can use a small inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter - and move the tv plug to that when needed...

....cut....
What he stated above.

Seems like a simple solution to me. I saw a couple of motorhomes at Tampa Supershow that had TV over kitchen area, and behind TV there was a cigarette lighter plug powered by house battery. The intent I believe was to plug small inverter and switch TV manually to portable inverter. This keeps things simple and has no power drain when not in use.

If requiring power for TV-related devices like a Blu-Ray, make sure inverter and plug has capacity for that too.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Seems like a simple solution to me. I saw a couple of motorhomes at Tampa Supershow that had TV over kitchen area, and behind TV there was a cigarette lighter plug powered by house battery. The intent I believe was to plug small inverter and switch TV manually to portable inverter. This keeps things simple and has no power drain when not in use.

If requiring power for TV-related devices like a Blu-Ray, make sure inverter and plug has capacity for that too.
Our old 5er had a 12V plug by the TV areas for the same reason.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote