Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
Have you checked your hydraulic reservoir lately? I was having issues with getting the back leveler to touch if I was on an un-even site.

I noticed the reservoir wasn't where it needed to be - (1/2 inch from top when levelers are up), so I added the needed Auto Transmission Fluid fluid. Seems to help.

If you do add fluid, make sure your levelers are up before adding to avoid an over-fill situation.
I have not lately, but I did when it first started. I keep some AT Fluid i in the rig. My first class A, a 2005 Fleetwood Bounder, did it too. It was less of an issue with that rig because the slideout drive is different. It is intermittent and takes a couple weeks to bleed off, so I put up with it. I think it's just one of the starboard side cylinder control valves.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Bob i check level after jacks are down and after slide is out. It stays the same

Sometimes to seems we are angled back to front but level says no

I always check the floor, sometimes the kitchen counter and top of fridge.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #23

State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletskop View Post
Would you auto level first and then extend the slide out, or slide out first and then level?

2017 Ace 30.2 full drivers side slide out.

Thanks in advance for your answers

Jerry

Jerry, i own a 2016 30.2 Ace and i auto level and then put the super slide out. I understand your question and things can get confusing. I had a reputable RV repair guy tell me it didn’t matter in what order you do it but the manual states to level first. Being we have super slides imagine the stress on the frame when extending with jacks down.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Bob i check level after jacks are down and after slide is out. It stays the same

Sometimes to seems we are angled back to front but level says no

I always check the floor, sometimes the kitchen counter and top of fridge.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM   #25

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Mine has a sticker at the slide control telling me to be level before operating the slide.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #26

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
As everyone has stated, level first. When you pull into your site
1. Plug into the pedestal. Check the voltage at the pedestal, trust me it sucks to get a good way into setting up to then determine that your power SUCKS.
2. Level up
3. Put out slides
Then I finish the hook ups and other business outside and the wife goes in and starts on the inside
Old 01-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm going to try changing my campsite setup meteorology.
In the past: I'd level-up, put out the slide, and then start hooking up the connections.
Now: I'm going to level-up, connect what's under the slides, and then make things wider & longer.
I always wondered why I liked hitting my head against the slide, when hooking up the slinky!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Yep, to do the slides first you have to turn off the engine, then you have to restart the engine to level. With advice like that from "lots of people" i'd find some new people to get advice from.

Tell them they can do it their way; you'll do it the right way.

On my coach the slide won’t operate unless the engine is running so I level, then extend the slide, then shut down and set up camp. Works for me.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
On my coach the slide won’t operate unless the engine is running so I level, then extend the slide, then shut down and set up camp. Works for me.
Plant 750 coaches work differently. The ignition inhibit (key on) prevents the slides and the patio awning from moving in either direction. The same ignition inhibit relay in conjunction with the door's step switch allows for emergency step retraction and in conjunction with the parking brake switch allows the emergency retraction of the jacks.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
With the Outlaw:
Levelers:
engine running and parking brake set
Slide
engine off
But I'd either run the generator or plug into shore power, before moving the slide.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #31

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
I would agree with level 1st then slides out. ALWAYS when you get parked in your site, put in park, get out and visually make sure all 4 levelling legs have a clear way to the ground. I let a park employee back me into a site in the mountains of NC. The nest morning as I was unhooking my connections I noticed one levelling leg was on a rr tie and the other missed it by inches and bent the base plate. Cost me $20 for a new one and about an hour on my back under my coach. Never assume, you know what they say---- LOL
Old 01-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's an old saying: "Trust: but verify!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #33

THOR #12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I would agree with level 1st then slides out. ALWAYS when you get parked in your site, put in park, get out and visually make sure all 4 levelling legs have a clear way to the ground. I let a park employee back me into a site in the mountains of NC. The nest morning as I was unhooking my connections I noticed one levelling leg was on a rr tie and the other missed it by inches and bent the base plate. Cost me $20 for a new one and about an hour on my back under my coach. Never assume, you know what they say---- LOL
I always put 2 foot long 2" X 12" pads under my leveling legs. I had a similar experience with damage on a previous rig.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:49 AM   #34

THOR #12796
I actually had a RV park campsite that swallowed 3 narrow concrete blocks before they stopped sinking in.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 AM   #35

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm going to try changing my campsite setup meteorology.
In the past: I'd level-up, put out the slide, and then start hooking up the connections.
Now: I'm going to level-up, connect what's under the slides, and then make things wider & longer.
I always wondered why I liked hitting my head against the slide, when hooking up the slinky!
Good plan, Bob! With my back issues, I always get my hookups done before extending the slide.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:35 AM   #36

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Something that really helped our "auto-levelers" was re-calibrating. I'm mentioning this again because it helped our system tremendously! Here's a link to DocP's instructions. Your specific coach levelers may vary. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tion-6400.html
Old 01-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #37

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Good plan, Bob! With my back issues, I always get my hookups done before extending the slide.

It's always a new education to sit out with a cocktail and watch the campers come in, each as they do things so differently. I rarely ever hook up my sewer hose day one. I let tanks get mostly full before dumping and put hoses back in storage after dumping. Usually, we back/pull in, level if necessary, deploy slides, hook up power and hit the "girl scout cookies". The box I keep my booze in is an empty cardboard box from the Girl Scout Cookie sale. If I do set the hose out for a multiple day stay, I still keep valves closed until tanks are nearly full. I only hook the water hose up for showers and use the 12V pump for everything else.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #38

State: Ohio
THOR #12388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I guess that I have a question: Has anybody ever taken the time to check how "level" their rig is: after they've deployed the slides? In theory: shouldn't it be better to have all of the parts sitting where you plan to have them first?
(Just wondering if it makes a difference...)
That's a really good question. Thor obviously wants us to level first, then put the slides out. Newmar on the other hand wants you to put the slides out first, then level. I'm not sure how other manufacturers want it done.

From what I have read, Newmar says that they build the coach so everything is level and square when it is sitting on the wheels (levelers up). They say that this means that the slides and the openings they sit in are manufactured perfectly aligned with the levelers up. If you put the levelers down first, you may distort the slide-out opening and then slide will not operate smoothly.

I can see the logic in that argument because the levelers raise the frame at four points and that could distort the alignment.

Apparently Thor doesn't agree with that logic because they won't let you extend the slides with the engine running and won't let you level the coach with the engine off. Obviously they prefer that you level first then extend the slides.

Somehow I think this topic hasn't been definitively decided. Would be interesting to see how some of the other manufacturers weigh in on the subject.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #39
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW1
Apparently Thor doesn't agree with that logic because they won't let you extend the slides with the engine running and won't let you level the coach with the engine off. Obviously they prefer that you level first then extend the slides.
It is more complicated than that: It depends on the Thor model. Some require the engine to be running to extend the slides and some won't extend the slides with the engine running.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #40

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW1 View Post
That's a really good question. Thor obviously wants us to level first, then put the slides out. Newmar on the other hand wants you to put the slides out first, then level. I'm not sure how other manufacturers want it done.

From what I have read, Newmar says that they build the coach so everything is level and square when it is sitting on the wheels (levelers up). They say that this means that the slides and the openings they sit in are manufactured perfectly aligned with the levelers up. If you put the levelers down first, you may distort the slide-out opening and then slide will not operate smoothly.

I can see the logic in that argument because the levelers raise the frame at four points and that could distort the alignment.

Somehow I think this topic hasn't been definitively decided. Would be interesting to see how some of the other manufacturers weigh in on the subject.
Of course the slide is built to be "level" on the motor home frame but we're not camping in the factory, we're parked somewhere on the ground that is probably not level, so that's why we need to get the motor home level before extending the slide.