Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
THOR #8513
Long term storage & battery maintenance

I will be storing my 2008 Thor Windsport, and 2011 Jeep Compass this April until November, and again from December to March, in Las Vegas.

Any recommendations on what to do, where to store it and what do I do about my batteries if there is no electricity?

Do I remove the batteries and see if there is someplace that will store them and maintain them? Is there any such place?

What about storing it in such heat for that long? I will at least get covered storage

Old 02-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's an awful lot of "just sitting"...
Your Compass will definitely need a good drink of your favorite fuel stabilizer in the tank, and I'd seriously consider pulling the batteries out of everything, and making sure that they get some quality time on Battery Maintainers...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #3

THOR #8513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That's an awful lot of "just sitting"...
Your Compass will definitely need a good drink of your favorite fuel stabilizer in the tank, and I'd seriously consider pulling the batteries out of everything, and making sure that they get some quality time on Battery Maintainers...
For sure I will be putting in premium fuel and lots of stabilizer in the fuel. I will run them both and the generator to make sure the stabilized fuel will get into the entire fuel system. I'm quite worried about doing this long term storage.
I will be wintering in Florida this year, then taking it to Las Vegas because we plan on spending next November and March 2020 in Lake Havasu. Then begin a west coast tour for a couple months from there.
The alternative is for me to drive it back to Toronto this spring from Florida then drive it back to Las Vegas next November and store it from November to March in LV.
Too much driving I feel as I've done that route once before in November and although it was a good experience, I don't want to do it again.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree with Son of Svengoolie (AKA Bob). LOL.

Do you have anyone that you can trust to drive one or both vehicles every two or 3 weeks?

If not - I would do what SOS said above. You might want to add some bounce sheets for freshness. Vegas should be a dry climate but I might still add a bucket of "damp-rid" to both just in case?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm glad that you got it!
Where else can you see some really bad Sci-Fi movies on a Saturday night?
Old 02-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well Vegas doesn't really get that cold so I wouldn't worry about temps too much.

In addition: putting premium fuel in just wastes $$ it isn't "better" fuel it just has a different octane content.

I would just disconnect the batteries after make sure they were fully charged.

If you have access to AC power I would put a maintainer on it. Will you be visiting the coach or is this completely hand's off? (given that this is Vegas and your profile says Ontario I would assume hand's off)

yeah if completely hands off I'd remove the batteries and find someplace with power to store them and maintain them.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #7

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm glad that you got it!
Where else can you see some really bad Sci-Fi movies on a Saturday night?
Yep, I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago. I used to watch it ever FRI (or was it SAT?) night. When you a kid this stuff was funny.... But then again most stupid stuff was funny when your 12 or 13 years told. LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
This Saturday night at 8:00 PM; they've got "Abbott and Costello Go To Mars".

(I think that they end up on Venus....)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #9

THOR #12231
Yeah I heard about those "hot Venus chicks". LOL. I guess today you would say something like "well proportioned and naturally born females from the planet Venus with only two eyes" or something like that ..... to be Politically correct. LOL.

Nothing wrong with the 1 or 3 eyed Venusians.... its all in the eyes of the beholder. LOL.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yeah I heard about those "hot Venus chicks". LOL. I guess today you would say something like "well proportioned and naturally born females from the planet Venus with only two eyes" or something like that ..... to be Politically correct. LOL.

Nothing wrong with the 1 or 3 eyed Venusians.... its all in the eyes of the beholder. LOL.

The most embarrassing question a girl ever asked me (many moons ago) and after a couple nights out was..."What color are my eyes?". Needless to say...that romance was over!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #11

THOR #12231
I guess im lucky, the eyes are the 2nd (well maybe 3rd) thing I notice about women I dated. LOL. Dont ask me the first two.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
I guess im lucky, the eyes are the 2nd (well maybe 3rd) thing I notice about women I dated. LOL. Dont ask me the first two.

We're all animals...never made that mistake again...from then on it was always..."Hi...my name is Don...you're xxxxx eyes are so gorgeous...what's your name?"
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'll just say that "Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-holder", and leave the rest of the conversation alone...
Old 02-05-2019, 02:07 AM   #14

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.... Where did I hear that? Some college course I think? A science fiction story?
Old 02-05-2019, 03:42 AM   #15

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.... Where did I hear that? Some college course I think? A science fiction story?
It was a famous book.

Might have been based on your life? LOL.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:59 AM   #16

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
It was a famous book.

Might have been based on your life? LOL.
Statute of limitations. Oh yeah, got to be good now to make up for last centurys. Not enough money to change my looks. Oh yeah, Boss thought I was innocent long ago. Then he read my stories.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 AM   #17

THOR #8513
Premium fuel is more than just higher Octane, at some fuel companies, not all, it means there is no ethanol, which means it stores longer and better.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #18

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Movie nights?
You need to post a schedule, we'd like to meet up with y'all, and watch some on your RV patio tv.
Good ole Boris Karloff....
Old 02-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC Windsport View Post
I will be storing my 2008 Thor Windsport, and 2011 Jeep Compass this April until November, and again from December to March, in Las Vegas.

Any recommendations on what to do, where to store it and what do I do about my batteries if there is no electricity?

Do I remove the batteries and see if there is someplace that will store them and maintain them? Is there any such place?

What about storing it in such heat for that long? I will at least get covered storage
CAC,

I just took my Vegas out of six months of storage, hands off, in FL and it’s been a disaster. Heat is the big problem - and humidity here in FL. The seal in the toilet bowl is gone, and the seals around the driver and passenger sliding windows. AC Compressor is shot and the auto battery was dead. The house batteries were just fine - my generator started right up.

So if you can find it and afford it enclosed, heat and humidity controlled storage would be better than just covered. Another factor on that is that the sand gets into everything. (I grew up in West Texas and I used to have to wipe down the dash of my car every morning.). And figure out a way to put battery minders into the equation. If you haven’t already you migh want to invest in sealed batteries so you don’t have to worry about water levels.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #20

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Solar trickle charger?