Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 23H
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13709
Thanks so much! We are going to dig deep on this after the holidays. Was hoping someone here had a definitive answer... but maybe the 2018 9 speed is too new for any feedback, I am pretty sure that is the problem. I don’t want to flat tow and ruin it and then no warranty coverage. Will probably try to get an final answer from Chevy. If I can get a straight one. ��

Old 12-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynb0119 View Post
Thanks so much! We are going to dig deep on this after the holidays. Was hoping someone here had a definitive answer... but maybe the 2018 9 speed is too new for any feedback, I am pretty sure that is the problem. I don’t want to flat tow and ruin it and then no warranty coverage. Will probably try to get an final answer from Chevy. If I can get a straight one. ��
No, the answer is in your owners manual. Period. Any deviance from that and you are on your own.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #23

Model: 23H
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13709
Yup, thinking I need to trade it for the 1.5 FWD.... oh well. I bought slightly used and the 1.5 is cheaper so no big loss other than the 2.0 turbo which is much more fun to drive.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #24

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #1929
I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Active Drive Two. Very happy with it. You have to have a wire harness installed to power the wheels. Use that as a negotiation tool. It weighs 4000 lbs. Easy tow for my Ford E450.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #25

Model: A30
State: Nebraska
THOR #17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trmisinco View Post
Ok folks, I’m new at this, and I’m trying to decide on a new tow vehicle, and method of towing. Suggestions Please.
We are using a 2011 Ford fusion Hybrid. We bought it new, and recently hooked it up to be a toad. We are doing a road trip now and have no problems after 1500 miles.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #26

THOR #12206
Thumbs up Flat Tow cars

Setting aside the risk I am hammered by The Jeeps Guys(Ha Ha Ha), we were dry camping in The NV sands a few years back wayyyyy off pavement and along came a lifted 2010 Honda CRV` EX, 4WD...…... Instant love! Last year Honda made a true 4WD NOT all wheel drive, 4 down towable car.

We have taken this car EVERYWHERE~~a lot of places off road(with shovel, come along and tow rope in back) we probably shouldn't oh well. It eats snow for breakfast and even has a sunroof! What's not to love. Tinted the windows and we use it with rear seats folded up for storage, etc. Water/food runs,etc. Way more comfort than a jeep, weather secure and high 20's gas mileage. We bought it used with 52,000 miles from one owner in Fl so basically brand new for a Honda. Blue Ox flat tow/break buddy from this forum for $450.00 all in. Best RV yearly $$ I have spent. Good Luck!!
Old 02-22-2020, 11:56 PM   #27

Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
I think everyone is saying this in one way or another...

If you buy a new or used car for 4 wheels down towing DO NOT trust the salesman. They rarely/never have any idea about this topic.

Use the Motorhome dinghy guide as a start but you must look at the year that matches the year of the car you are buying. Manufacturers will OK a model in one year and then pull it off the list in another.

Look up the owners manual for the car you plan to buy (and the year). It should have an explicit section on flat towing. If it does not then you will probably have problems. Read any fine print.

Case in point, I bought a 2018 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk new. It's System II drive allows it to go into true neutral and allow 4 wheels down towing. However, the fine print in the manual says that you need an aftermarket MOPAR harness (not the one that hooks up the lights, etc.).

This one supplies an electrical charge to the jeeps steering that allows the wheels to turn freely. Without it the Jeep may in fact engage in the dreaded Jeep "death wobble". $500 for the harness and install and I'm fine and have no problems.

And lastly, just as you are doing, find cases where people have actually towed the model that you are looking at.

Good luck!
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:39 AM   #28

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Lots and lots of research will eliminate headaches in the end. We did all the research and ended up with the Cherokee Trailhawk 2019 for our toad. The 2019 was the first year that the Cherokee did not require the added tow harness.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:04 AM   #29

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
I did a lot of research for myself. My wife's car is not towable and she doesn't want to get rid of it. I don't want to purchase another vehicle.
I said to heck with it and ordered a flat trailer. I can haul her car or my Harley and now my tractor, LOL.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:11 AM   #30

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If you are buying a new vehicle, be sure the manufacture in writing states that the vehicle can be flat towed, and that would have no effect on the warrantee. I walked away from several potential cars, because the dealer was unable to produce a document from the manufacture stating the above.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:19 AM   #31

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
The does and don't of towing is in all GM owners manuals
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:04 AM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
If you are buying a new vehicle, be sure the manufacture in writing states that the vehicle can be flat towed, and that would have no effect on the warrantee. I walked away from several potential cars, because the dealer was unable to produce a document from the manufacture stating the above.
That document would be the Owners Manual.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote