Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2018, 11:14 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Custom Ordering an RV...Crazy?

All,

We have enjoyed our 24.1 Vegas for three years now and have been thinking of getting something a bit bigger. I would love to see a Vegas/Axis 27.7 but they appear to only be a thing dreams are made of here in NC.

Due to the lack of available options in the Thor line we have looked at other brands with Class A units 28ft 6in or less and it is still slim picken's (wife likes the Winnebago Vista LX 27N).

So, I got to thinking about ordering exactly what I would like to have. My big question to the more senior RV'ers out there: does the manufacture stick to the MSRP on customized orders? Any input would be great.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How custom are you going (ordering a floorplan with options or going with a custom builder and designing your own)?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:47 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We did that 3 years ago. Ordered in March to be picked up at the dealer in Ohio in early June. By doing that, we got the options we wanted, without the few we didn't want. Vegas/Axis has few options, but we did choose the fabric, cabinet color and outside stripes from 2 or 3 choices each.

By doing that, we got an early 2016 model, which was both good and bad. It will always be worth more than a 2015 when we go to sell it, but the early 2016s had the cracking tall windshield issue.

We paid roughly the same price as a 2015 would have cost, and about what the show prices had been at Tampa in January. By picking it up in Ohio we saved a ton on the delivery charge to Florida. Plus, the dealer was much more generous with our trade in. The savings from the trade and delivery cost paid for our leveling jacks! The dealer took it to a shop (Stuarts) in
Elkhart for installation. Had I known that was how they would install, I would have arranged that myself.

Total Value in Elkhart might have had a better price without trade, we found our better deal with Paul Sherry RV in Piqua, OH. I prefer to do business locally, but the cost difference was too much. And the dealer did a good job of prepping the coach for us.

Things I don't miss from my previous 33' Class A: Bigger, more expensive tires to replace, heavier, more trouble prone slide outs, power steps that required maintenance and repairs, higher, more boxy profile on windy roads, no rear ladder (but then my 25.2 lacks that too).

The 27.7 will likely be really popular, giving just enough more living space. Check online for some walk through videos. For us and the way we travel, our 25.2 fits us just right, and we hope to keep it on the road for a long time.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:53 AM   #4

THOR #2142
Jamie,

Nothing too custom, things like leave out the overhead bed, theater recliners, propane to the rear for a gas grill, leveling, TPMS and maybe better electronics (in dash 12 volt computer to handle the cameras, dash cam, radio, navigation, USB, WiFi, DVD and TV's).

When you look at something on the lot there is the MSRP, then the "Sale Price" at some 30% less and then possibly the "Convention Demo Previous Year Sample Special Discount". If you go straight to the manufacture (or as close as one can get)...does anyone know where do they start?

Mr. Sunshine, where did you work your deal...local or at a special dealership in Ohio (found by surfing the web)?

Doc

Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
All,

We have enjoyed our 24.1 Vegas for three years now and have been thinking of getting something a bit bigger. I would love to see a Vegas/Axis 27.7 but they appear to only be a thing dreams are made of here in NC.

Due to the lack of available options in the Thor line we have looked at other brands with Class A units 28ft 6in or less and it is still slim picken's (wife likes the Winnebago Vista LX 27N).

So, I got to thinking about ordering exactly what I would like to have. My big question to the more senior RV'ers out there: does the manufacture stick to the MSRP on customized orders? Any input would be great.

Doc

Doc, just wondering if it is just the room you are wanting more of, or if there is something particular that you are "missing"?

Got the 25.2 here and so far it has been fine, but thinking a bigger unit may be in our future...
Old 04-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Jamie,

Nothing too custom, things like leave out the overhead bed, theater recliners, propane to the rear for a gas grill, leveling, TPMS and maybe better electronics (in dash 12 volt computer to handle the cameras, dash cam, radio, navigation, USB, WiFi, DVD and TV's).

When you look at something on the lot there is the MSRP, then the "Sale Price" at some 30% less and then possibly the "Convention Demo Previous Year Sample Special Discount". If you go straight to the manufacture (or as close as one can get)...does anyone know where do they start?

Mr. Sunshine, where did you work your deal...local or at a special dealership in Ohio (found by surfing the web)?

Doc
Have you checked to see if you can even do that--others have asked and Thor as replied with a firm "No".

You did mention that you're going with a different manufacturer though...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #7

THOR #2142
MoMike, We have two large dogs and their sleeping pads take up a good bit of the floor space at night. We looked at a Winnebago 27N that has opposing slides in the living area...what a difference and in only 28" 6" length! For me, I think the outside kitchen would be nice. I am not sure if Thor has a short Hurricane or Ace at that length, the Vegas 27.7 is listed at that length...have not seen one in NC.

Jamie, true I have seen where others say Thor says no on removing the drop down bed, other brands have it as an option (approximately a $1000 option). Since we have used it less than 6 times in the past 3 years it is not a "must have" for us.

I'm trying to get an idea of the cost of ordering one the way you want it versus taking one off the buffet line at the dealership. When you "Build your own" on the websites all you get is the MSRP price...no thanks; even with the "discounted price" at the dealership these toys depreciate enough as soon as the ink dries and you drive them off the lot.

As of today it will be 4 months and I'll be turning 65 with Retirement with full Social Security just 18 months away; so I have time to line things up to maximize my purchase for some long travel trips, trout fishing and R&R.

Doc

Old 04-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Ordering should be just as competitive as a unit on the lot, if not better. They have no investment or floor plan to set up or pay. I've ordered my last two. You can also arrange a trip to the factory and maybe watch it be glued together. Pun intended!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sure sounds like an exciting time!
Congratulations, nd please let us know what end up parked in your driveway.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
All,

Doc
MHSRV has 7 Axis/Vegas 27.7 and 12 Hurricane/Windsport 27B in stock. Pick out the one you want; fly in and drive it home. If you would rather drive down, the the UHaul office is next door so you could rent a dolly or trailer to get your car home. You get one day and night in the delivery shed next to the PDI techs office, to make sure everything works to your satisfaction before you leave.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #11

THOR #2142
Jim and Roy,
Thanks for the lead. We have a manual transmission Kia Soul Toad so flat towing home would be great. MHSRV...is that in Texas? Grew up in Albuquerque and Clovis NM so I was use to the heat!

I'l have to check out the Windsport 27B.

Doc

Old 04-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #12

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We bought a fairly vanilla coach this time, went primarily for the floor plan we wanted, and have added all the accessories and features we wanted, some as part of the purchase, and many more after purchase.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Have you checked to see if you can even do that--others have asked and Thor as replied with a firm "No".

You did mention that you're going with a different manufacturer though...
I asked Thor three different ways if I could custom order an Axis 24.1 without the slide, and they said no to each request. That was my limit. These larger companies are not really set up for custom orders, which I can understand. Leaving things off, like a slide or overhead powered bed, changes vehicle weight, weight distribution, electrical documentation, cargo carrying capacity, etc.....

It’s easier to give up and look for something better that meets your needs as is.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Ordering should be just as competitive as a unit on the lot, if not better. They have no investment or floor plan to set up or pay. I've ordered my last two. You can also arrange a trip to the factory and maybe watch it be glued together. Pun intended!!
Agree! Friends of ours just picked up a 2019 Hurricane 29M today. Went with Thor on our recommendation. They ordered it exactly as they wanted it from the dealer back in Feb. They negotiated a good deal and did not pay MSRP. They are first time RVers and happy campers today!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
...Mr. Sunshine, where did you work your deal...local or at a special dealership in Ohio (found by surfing the web)?Doc

Tried, but couldn't work a deal with any of the Florida dealers. Found Paul Sherry in Piqua, OH, from an ad they had for a new 2015 25.2. That started the conversation. We had planned to travel that direction anyway, so it would have been silly to pay some monkey, er professional driver, a big chunk of my money to drive my new coach through the break in time. That driver's goal: get it there asap! Paul S got the business because they made the best deal.

There aren't many options on the Vegas/Axis order sheet, and you can just forget anything that is not on the list. The dealer took care of the leveling jack install prior to picking it up. I wouldn't suggest having the selling dealer do your modifications, it is adds to the chance they will screw something up.

If Thor offered a bunch of options, it would slow down the line and increase the chance of screw ups. Keeping the Freedom Elites basic helps keep the cost down.

When we ordered, the outside TV was optional, but if you didn't order it you didn't get that TV door, just a flat wall. I wanted the cabinet, but not the TV, so ordered without a bedroom TV and had the dealer move it before I picked it up. Don't think you can do that anymore.

Remember, the RVs of today come as a KIT, that you have to finish out to your liking and budget!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #16

THOR #2142
Thanks to all.
Please keep the ideas coming in on how to order "custom".
Just got our Vegas out of the shop, paid $100 on some 4 different Warranty problems. Now "Ms Enterpirse" has a new water pump, new USB Charging Station in the bedroom, new awning arms and a new outside shower!
While killing time for the paperwork to be done we walked around the dealership and looked. It is really weird when comparing different makes. Another make (starts with a "W") offers their units with/without the drop down bed ($2700 option), no problem with dropping the jack-knife couch and inserting recliners. Maybe there is something to be said for the aging/maturing process.

Doc

Old 05-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #17

Model: Axis
THOR #11770
Hi Doc,
We are new to the Forum, and we have a question. What is the demensions of your recliner/Couch space in your Axis? CW said their recliners were too big for our couch space. Did you buy yours from a local furniture store and what is the brand Please.
Appreciate any info. Thank You.
Brnwaterbill
Old 05-29-2018, 12:34 AM   #18

THOR #2142
We got our from CW back in 2016, here are the numbers for the Recliners: -
SKU (83875): Heritage Right Arm Reclining Sofa, Beckham Tan # 334503.
- SKU (83876): Heritage Left Arm Reclining Sofa, Beckham Tan # 334505.
- SKU (38378): Heritage Center Console, Beckham Tan # 334510.
These were purchased in January 2016 from the Camping World’s Catalog that month.

Doc

Old 05-30-2018, 12:08 AM   #19

Model: Axis
THOR #11770
Thor Axis

Doc,
We just finished a Thor Ace factory tour, — Axis Tours aren’t done, and were quite pleased. Four of us launched some pretty Pointed Questions at our guide. He was informed, but most inquiries should be directed to Customer Service. We asked why Thor put such poor matresses and uncomfortable Loveseat, but no clear answers. The workers we saw looked like they enjoyed their jobs. We told them we wanted to deal directly with Thor, as our Dealer (General— Jacksonville) is completely Dishonest , unprofessional and Total Disregard and Disrespect for the Customers. I would be Completely ASHAMED to have General Represent the THOR Company. We have-a few minor problems, but I won’t Condem Thor until they treat us unfairly. We also asked why their Q.A. wasn’t better— didn’t know.
We are looking at new mattress and Theatre Seating ( 1 month Old). Where is Company Pride?? Thx for the Info.
BWB
BLUE/Brown Water Navy
Rvn
Old 05-30-2018, 01:32 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Thor plants 650, 750 and 850 ONLY accept orders from authorized dealer for that coach line. I.E Camping world at Nashville cannot order any Thor coaches except Outlaw, and the Diesels, as the RV store next door is a legacy Thor dealer They do carry the complete Thor Freedom line of coaches as that is a CW only brand. If it is not on the dealer order form Thor won't do it. You need to buy a Tiffin, Entegra, Nexus or Newmar if you want a custom build.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote