Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Macerator vs flex hose

OK, time to pick all you experienced RV brains here. Got a 2016 VEGAS. With the dump connections so low, would it be better to look at a macerator instead of a std flex hose?

Does anyone have experience with both?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We don't have a macerator but haven't had any issues in the three seasons with our Axis. The rotating sewer outlet does help a lot.

Even in the 10 years we had the 5th wheel with the sewer outlets a good 18-24" off the ground we still found places where the sewer would run uphill and had to deal with it...didn't really matter the height of the camper's outlet, was more the height of the drain in the ground. In fact there are a few campgrounds where the sewer pipe extends a good 6-8" above the ground....
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
OK, time to pick all you experienced RV brains here. Got a 2016 VEGAS. With the dump connections so low, would it be better to look at a macerator instead of a std flex hose?

We agree with Jamie...we have never bought a macerator, but are considering getting a Sewer Solution, simply to have that water force right there at the connecting point.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Once my hoses wear out I'll most likely get the Sewer Solution also.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
Leo

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Ontario
THOR #4320
Quote:

We have the macerator system,it works well,but I am considering an adaption to allow using either standard or macerator.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
We have the macerator system,it works well,but I am considering an adaption to allow using either standard or macerator.
Can I ask why you want to use the flex also?

How has the macerator system worked for you?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
To help out with the low clearance under the dump valves I bought a 45 degree connector to attach directly to the rotating sewer outlet once it is rotated down. Using it helped keep the "stinky slinky" higher off the ground as it left the RV. I am going to get a 90 degree connector, if it clears the side of the RV it should give a couple more inches above the ground as the flex hose starts out of the RV.
With that little higher start for the flex hose line from RV to the sewer connection/dump site and a second refill and rinse with the Tornado seems to be doing a good job of rinsing the Black tank and the lines out. For now a cheaper fix than a macerator.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I have used the Sewer Solution for many years and love it. Camping world has them on sale with free shipping right now. I also carry a regular hose and fittings just in case.

Ken
Old 09-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
To help out with the low clearance under the dump valves I bought a 45 degree connector to attach directly to the rotating sewer outlet once it is rotated down. Using it helped keep the "stinky slinky" higher off the ground as it left the RV. I am going to get a 90 degree connector, if it clears the side of the RV it should give a couple more inches above the ground as the flex hose starts out of the RV.
I always use a clear 90 on our Axis: Never turn the outlet straight down; just at a slight angle and let the 90 do the rest of the work.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jamie, good to know it will fit. Little working room in there and - with age - it's an ackward position one must get into.
I also need a quick disconnect for the water line to the Tornado. I have the supplied extension water hookup for the Tornado mounted in above the black and gray water valves with the anti-suckback valve right there...just annoying trying to twist and tighten the second water line hose (NOT the drinking waterhose) in that space.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
Leo

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Ontario
THOR #4320
Quote:
Can I ask why you want to use the flex also?

How has the macerator system worked for you?
The macerator allows you to pump out at home, it is simpler to use when traveling, but when you sit for months the standard system allows you to leave the gray water open, and you get a better flush when dumping a black water full tank.
Kitchen, shower,hand sink would fill a tank quickly, requiring dumping often with the macerator, that is why I would like the option .
And if the macerator failed, you have a build in option