Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Florida
THOR #6899
Magellan RV GPS Map Update - Heads Up!

Don't know if anybody has come across this yet but we bought a Magellan RV 9635T GPS for our coach just over a year ago, and I thought I should update the maps. This model is supposed to come with free lifetime map updates, but when I tried to connect it to my computer (MAC) the software is no longer compatible with the latest Apple Operating System. It will only work with Chrome (Windows) or Apple Safari version 11 or lower. For me to go back to Safari 11 is a big exercise in futility as I would have to completely re-install an older operating system which I'm not prepared to do just for the sake of updating the GPS. It seems several Magellan users have encountered this issue, but the Company is not being very co-operative or informative about fixing the problem.
So if anybody is considering buying a GPS for their RV I would recommend you check out the software compatibility with Magellan. I did also hear that they have reneged on their lifetime update recently and will only offer 3 years before you have to pay extra.
If I can't get an answer from Magellan I am thinking I should just write this off as a bad buy, and move over to the Garmin 770, which I believe has a WiFI option for updates so you don't even need to use a computer.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Thanks for the info.
We have not purchased a GPS as of yet, so this is good to know.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Magellan is sorta like K-Mart today. They're still in business but lost their direction. Customer Service is all anyone really has to offer....when this goes away...so do their products and future. We use the Garmin RV770 and love it. I think Garmin sets the standard for GPS today.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have a Rand McNally that I quit using due to it continually freezing while in use. I contacted them and they instructed me to do the most recent update, which I did but didn't solve the freezing issue. I decided to consider it a lesson learned and purchased the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S. It is voice operated while traveling with commands like, "when is the next rest area?" I've had it for 2 seasons now and love it.

On a side note, I still have the other unit and thought of selling it, but I don't feel right selling something that could fail so it still sits in my desk drawer.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
I've been looking at RV gps systems also, and have been leaning toward the Garmin. I was going to research Magellan, so I'm glad you posted this. I've always used Garmin and it looks like I will continue to do so.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Garmin versus the Axxus system?

Our unit came with the standard(?) Axxera radio GPS, etc. system. I'm not sure about GPS updates but it doe provide navigation pretty well.

Does anyone know if the Axxera system updates, has update capability, or should I just go buy the Garmin or use Waze. My dealer wants over $350 to update my vehicle on-board system and I can use my smart phone a lot cheaper than that!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #7

THOR #11130
[QUOTE=Chuck and Mary Ann;165801]Our unit came with the standard(?) Axxera radio GPS, etc. system. I'm not sure about GPS updates but it doe provide navigation pretty well.

Does anyone know if the Axxera system updates, has update capability, or should I just go buy the Garmin or use Waze. My dealer wants over $350 to update my vehicle on-board system and I can use my smart phone a lot cheaper than that![/QUOTE

The Ford 550 came with the Ford SYNC system. Great touch free with navigation but it doesn't account for RV specific parameters such as length, height, weight, ground clearance, LP sensitive zones (tunnels), etc. The Garmin (and a few others) are really cool as they allow this type programming. During a recent trip to south GA for a drag boat show, the Garmin took us through a couple small townships...by a crazy zig-zag pattern. I followed it anyway and later found there were a couple railroad crossings that were very steep and a low clearance pedestrian walkway under 12'...the coach would have bottomed out going over the tracks. I don't think any of the RV furnished radios/nav systems, etc. offer this feature.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Axxera GPS

Our Axxera system is programmable for length, height, weight, and with or without trailer. After using it on a few trips I am really starting to like it. You can also program it to avoid unpaved roads, etc. And it shows gas stations, RV parks, rest areas, much like a Garmin system. The GPS portion of the Axxera radio is designed by some other company (I can't remember who right now) that does offer updated cards that just insert into the unit. I saw them the other day online for around $55.
Mike
edit- One company offering the SD card updates for the Axxera is Naviextras.com. They offer the cards for many brands.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #9

THOR #13712
Thanks, m1noel, I'll look into the card update option.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
GPS Unit

My 2018 Thor Siesta 24 SS came with a Garmin RV version GPS and it seems to be working great. Unknown about annual updates at this time period.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #6899
FYI here is the reply I got from Magellan today - basically no fix other than to use somebody else's computer!!!!! My map version is 62 so it definitely needed updating, but I'm just going to go for the Garmin instead.

"Thank you for contacting Magellan Technical Support
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we understand your disappointment with our Magellan RoadMate 9365T-LMB.
Please note that content manager and the plug in are the same. In addition, plug in can be installed to a MAC computer if the version is OS.11 or earlier.
For us to isolate the problem, you may try to use a different computer. Due to a change of system for Firefox, the plug-in or the SmartGPS Eco only works now in Google Chrome when using Windows.
Please be informed that the latest version for your unit is v.72 you may check the latest version. Under your device’s setting>Product information>Map version. In line with that, if your unit, already have the latest version it means that the unit is updated. Just to set your expectation, we currently do not have the estimated time when will be the next update release."
Old 02-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #12

THOR #11130
You'll love it...never have to touch it! Voice everything.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
NO problems with my Garmin RV 760 on a Mac running Mohave. Garmin has it's own app called Garmin Express. I get a notification for any updates. I have the 760 in my rig; a 3490 in my toad; and a Garmin Dashcam that runs in either vehicle.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #14

THOR #13712
I was able to go into the site listed (https://mito-oem.com/index.php?route...on/faq&topic=8) on the radio/GPS support web page and register the unit. you have to load software on your PC and update an micro SD card form the PC and internet. Once the account was created it was pretty simple. it was a bit confusing in that they allow you to use your Google logon, but they still require you to build an account on the company web site. Always backup your SD card before adding anything and the system will ask if you want to.

It took about 10 minutes to back up and load anything new (some location fixes were indicated), and then I checked to make sure I had the maps I wanted, closed out the SD card and put it back into the unit (removable face-plate I guess I'll call it). should be good to go. Now for my CW service work on Thursday - we'll see how that goes with the punch-list and warranty contract we have - fingers crossed.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #15

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
CoPilot GPS - phone ap for rv’s. Wonderful results and no need for another mount, $35 a year.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #16

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
CoPilot GPS - phone ap for rv’s. Wonderful results and no need for another mount, $35 a year.

Until you reach the dead zone with no cell service.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #17

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Until you reach the dead zone with no cell service.
I agree. If your traveling a lot in the west its a must. If you have good cell phone coverage so far CoPilot has worked flawlessly. $35 a year versus a few hundred upfront.

for what's its worth:

CoPilot’s maps are stored on your mobile device, not downloaded each trip, so you don’t need to rely on the mobile data network for navigation and you can use the app abroad without incurring huge data roaming fees.
Please note that some smartphones need a mobile data signal to acquire an initial GPS fix, so you may need to enable data roaming briefly in order to get an accurate location at the beginning of a journey. Roaming can then be deactivated for the remainder of your trip.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Class A
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1611
Angry Magellan/Camping World

I purchased a Magellan from Camping World over three years ago when I got our first coach. It also had the lifetime update feature. It was a model RV-9145-LM. After a year, decided to update, and it crashed big time. Called Magellan and was told the battery was probably bad and they would be very happy to sell me a new GPS at a discounted price. The person was quite snotty about it. Went online and discovered this was a common problem. Called Camping World and they did not know anything about the problem, but because it was a year old I would have to deal with Magellan, which I told her was not going to happen, nor would I deal with Camping World anymore. She said she was sorry, nothing she could do. Purchased a Garmin, works fine. No wonder Camping World gets such a bad rap.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PlasticMan1 View Post
I purchased a Magellan from Camping World over three years ago when I got our first coach. It also had the lifetime update feature. It was a model RV-9145-LM. After a year, decided to update, and it crashed big time. Called Magellan and was told the battery was probably bad and they would be very happy to sell me a new GPS at a discounted price. The person was quite snotty about it. Went online and discovered this was a common problem. Called Camping World and they did not know anything about the problem, but because it was a year old I would have to deal with Magellan, which I told her was not going to happen, nor would I deal with Camping World anymore. She said she was sorry, nothing she could do. Purchased a Garmin, works fine. No wonder Camping World gets such a bad rap.
But in this case it was the manufacturer: Magellan, that left you hanging. I can't blame CW for not standing behind the manufacturer's product after a year.

Magellan has become the GPS laughing stock. After years of owning Gamin and Lowrance GPS products I came across what I though was a great deal on a Magellan GPS with built-in dash-cam. Yeah, it works, but the interface is so clunky you don't even want to use it. And there is no way to change what is visible on the screen. One of the reasons I use a GPS is to see what my actual speed is: no way to do that on this Magellan. It will show you what it thinks the speed limit is; it will turn that indication RED if you exceed it, but you have to go to a completely separate screen to see what your speed is. It's going in the trash as soon as I figure out what to replace it with.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Class A
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1611
Should have told you that CW was still advertising the same GPS at least a year later. That is why they are partially to blame.