Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 01:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Keeping Warm on The Road

If the next few months are anything like the pre-winter temps in the Northeast, then I would expect to be driving a frigid camper when traveling from RI to Florida. This will my first trip leaving in January, and wanted opinions on how to keep the coach warm. Last year, I left in March, to travel to the Carolinas, and was pretty comfortable with heat only running in the cab portion. I also ran my generator, for electrical options (Coffee maker, etc) and refrigerator. Which leads me to my question:

Should I use my electric space heater off generator, or use the Vegas' heater, using propane?

Old 12-22-2019, 01:45 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'd lean toward using the space heater...
Old 12-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
Keeping warm

I have travelled many miles in freezing weather ( -20C )and we just run the furnace. You don’t need the generator the batteries will keep the fan running. Next trip I will install a curtain behind the cab to keep the drafts down. I had a temporary one last time and it made it quite cozy.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
If the next few months are anything like the pre-winter temps in the Northeast, then I would expect to be driving a frigid camper when traveling from RI to Florida. This will my first trip leaving in January, and wanted opinions on how to keep the coach warm. Last year, I left in March, to travel to the Carolinas, and was pretty comfortable with heat only running in the cab portion. I also ran my generator, for electrical options (Coffee maker, etc) and refrigerator. Which leads me to my question:

Should I use my electric space heater off generator, or use the Vegas' heater, using propane?
Does your Vegas have an inverter? I'm not familiar enough with your model. But, you got me thinking. We have an inverter in our ws31, so we could run an electric space heater off an inverter powered plug while traveling. (Making sure it was well supported against tip over while traveling) I think of that as "free power" with the alternator charging batteries while driving.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
IF you would be running the generator anyway (coffee maker while traveling? Fridge when you're worried about the cold?) then use the space heater.
Otherwise use the furnace.
We have a curtain behind the cab mainly for keeping AC in while traveling but have also used it to keep cab warm (once).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Does your Vegas have an inverter? I'm not familiar enough with your model. But, you got me thinking. We have an inverter in our ws31, so we could run an electric space heater off an inverter powered plug while traveling. (Making sure it was well supported against tip over while traveling) I think of that as "free power" with the alternator charging batteries while driving.

Normally an inverter means you have a residential fridge...which will be kicking in and out also. I would just make sure you match the load you're drawing against the inverter's limits. Most portable heaters have 2 settings...usually one is around 750W and the other 1200-1500W. Run it on the low side and try to get one with "fan forced" heat as this will distribute the heat better than just a static hot surface.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I think the answer is:
A 110V 1500w heater is 5000btu and are all rated close to the same ON HIGH SETTING.

The little Atwood propane furnace is closer to 16,000btu and some of us have 30,000 btu furnaces.

My 4k generator gets, if I remember correctly, 100mpg when running.
My propane seems to get even better when running the furnace.
Its not an exact mileage, it's a counter to a worrisome but kinda nonsensical due to smallness, mpg argument.

If the cost differential is anything other than merely interesting, don't take the trip.

(and I haven't found a 110v space heater that wouldn't tip over during even a slightly harsh brake tap. You'd have to screw it to something non flammable and solid in order to keep it upright)

https://www.amazon.com/Bestauto-Muff...7032929&sr=8-7
And I'm pretty sure I really like these. I've done a lot of research and can't find a reason to not install one. I'll put the diesel tank right next to the generator, using the generator hatch as a way to fill it. It'll make a nice 100% independent(with its own battery) source of heat. No dependence on anything other than itself. It's been difficult for me to find run times, but I've deduced a pint an hour(8hours a gallon).

And
https://www.amazon.com/Output-Auxili...7033177&sr=8-2
I already have one of these that'll maybe be spliced into the v10 heater circuit. I'm undecided. It's on the mod bench being stared at.... It's an easy mod, it's there, it's a nice fit. My v10 uses 6/10ths of a gallon an hour when idling...this is vaguely similar to the $12,000 AquaHot option on big class A coaches.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If this is going to be a recurring situation have a heat strip installed in your AC unit and then run the generator and heat strip when travelling.

What we do is run the furnace before leaving and then turn it off and use the cab heat while driving. We stop for breaks every 60 - 90 minutes and when we stop if it is cold we will run the furnace while stopped and then shut it down for travel time. This process has work for us for over 15 years of cold weather driving.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
..." I haven't found a 110v space heater that wouldn't tip over during even a slightly harsh brake tap"...

Duct Tape...boom!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:01 AM   #10

Model: Challenger 37 KT
State: Maryland
THOR #527
I would opt for the furnace because a cold motorhome is cold to the core. You want the mattress to warm up as well as the rest of it. It would make for an uncomfortable night sleeping on a rock hard cold bed.

I have a Caframo heater which can’t tip. But even so, would be concerned with it moving around and risk it getting lodged up against something for a period of time and you not realizing it until you smell the smoke. The Caframo was rated highly in the sailing community for its stability.

Caframo True North Heater. Low Profile, Quiet, Powerful Heater for Work and Home. Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004473UK2..._PCacEbCV1TW8W