Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2018, 10:44 PM   #1

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Miramar Refrigerator

In my Miramar, I have Whirlpool WRT111SFDM02 refrigerator which works on 110V, 12V and supposed to work on propane. When I disconnect from shore power, propane does not light. Note propane works fine for stove and heating, so I have propane. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot issue, as there is no switch between power sources on the refrig, and only has an off switch for the temp gauge? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Are you sure it is supposed to be able to use propane? Seems like it should have a gas/electric switch.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When mine was having trouble lighting: the technician bled the air out of the line, and "Voila"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
In my Miramar, I have Whirlpool WRT111SFDM02 refrigerator which works on 110V, 12V and supposed to work on propane. When I disconnect from shore power, propane does not light. Note propane works fine for stove and heating, so I have propane. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot issue, as there is no switch between power sources on the refrig, and only has an off switch for the temp gauge? Thanks.

It is a residential, electric only fridge.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:43 PM   #5

THOR #5754
Thank you all, as I obviously misunderstood what the salesperson stated regarding propane.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:45 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Thank you all, as I obviously misunderstood what the salesperson stated regarding propane.

He may very well have believed that it supported propane. The fridge is smaller than what you might see in a typical household.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
Normally you can hear the pilot light if its not on both lights will flash

Sent from my VS501 using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #11526
My sales person also told me the ref would on all three but we all know about salesman.
My question is how lone can I except the ref to run on 12v?
Old 07-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
How long you can run the frig using the inverter depends on the size of the house batteries and their condition. Much less time if the ice maker is on and it goes into auto defrost. With 4 fully charged 12 volt 100 AH batteries. expect 6-10 hours.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #11526
Wow,I guess we won’t be spending a lot of time on BOM or COE land when I’m out west next year. That also cuts out a lot of Nalt. Parks also.
Would it better to replace the refrigerator or add a solar system for power? Our plans are to be out for the better part of two years starting this September.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Lots of opinions on this subject but, get a small inverter generator like the Honda 2000's or the Yamaha 2000. They run forever on a gallon of gas, are very quiet and have an "eco" mode which lets them run at idle speed and ramp up with power demand. Use it periodically to keep the batteries charged. My residential fridge will run at least 2 days off inverter with the two batteries that came with the coach. Inside temps of the RV will affect that number. The small gensets are also a great "when all else fails" power backup if you run every battery down by mistake.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have A Miramar with the same residential refrigerator. When I purchased the motorhome the 2 original batteries gave me about 10 hours when dry camping. I replaced the 2 with 4 - 6 volt higher amp batteries and now get more than 24 hours. I run the generator during the day for AC or at least a couple hours to recharge the batteries. Works great.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #13

THOR #15668
Icemaker harvest ice once

I have Miramar 37.1 for a year. Been on 5 or 6 on trips no ice is harvested... had the ice maker replaced. At the dealer it produces ice. (After 2 days on shore power and a new ice maker.)

So I put some temp probes in the fridge
On floor of the of freezer ... gets down to neg 18 or so.

But at the top of ice maker after a few hours of checking it hovers around 45 and only gets to neg 32 for few minutes.

So it seems to be a air flow prob. Tried putting feezer on factory recomended and coldest setting. Really doesnt change. Did the by pass l&v and it works. Also fills water on by pass.but does not freeze water.

Any creative way to solve this ?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #14

THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolbert1 View Post
I have Miramar 37.1 for a year. Been on 5 or 6 on trips no ice is harvested... had the ice maker replaced. At the dealer it produces ice. (After 2 days on shore power and a new ice maker.)

So I put some temp probes in the fridge

On floor of the of freezer ... gets down to neg 18 or so.

But at the top of ice maker after a few hours of checking it hovers around 45 and only gets to neg 32 for few minutes.

So it seems to be a air flow prob. Tried putting feezer on factory recomended and coldest setting. Really doesnt change. Did the by pass l&v and it works. Also fills water on by pass.but does not freeze water.

Any creative way to solve this ?

A couple years ago in our Miramar, I observed the same issue. I ended up removing the ice maker, and the panel. The coils were frozen, so I used a hair dryer to defrost. Once I replaced the panel and ice maker, I put weather stripping on the hinge side of the door. Temp remains at -10 deg in the freezer and 35 deg in the refrigerator. Now, two years later, we have a full container of ice whenever needed. I did place a small 12v in the refrigerator just to circulate the air. To see if you are losing cool air, place a dollar bill on the hinge side, so that it is visible after closing the door. When you pull on the dollar bill, it should be snug and preventing you to pull from the door hinge area. If the dollar bill easily pulls out, you are probably losing cool air.

That was my creative way to troubleshoot, and hopefully this will work for you as well.

Ken