Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #8256
A/C

The AC does not cool the motorhome sufficiently. I was told it was the high temperature outside and no shade 96°. Is anyone else having problems with the AC not cooling there Thor Axis?

Old 07-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by robincyn View Post
The AC does not cool the motorhome sufficiently. I was told it was the high temperature outside and no shade 96°. Is anyone else having problems with the AC not cooling there Thor Axis?
Unfortunately this is a common problem. Here is a fairly simple mod that will help increase air output from your AC. The vent is available from Amazon and is easy to install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	5797
Old 07-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
I have found our Vegas , which has a 15k a/c unit , does very well.
The only time it has struggled is when trying to cool the unit if it has been parked in the heat and sun all day without any a/c.
Otherwise it does a good job.
I also added an extra 4" vent to my a/c cover which helped.
That mod is described elsewhere in the forum.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
A/C issues

Lots of of threads on this. The outside temp and the humidity, as well as the volume of your coach and the heat load all factor into the equation of the cooling capacity of your A/C. Down here in South Florida the humidity has made the last few days brutal for A/C's.
Rule of thumb to determine how well your system is working--check the temp of the air coming out of the A/C to see if it is 20 degrees cooler than the air going in. In a 96 degree day, with high humidity and in full sun will be hard to keep your coach comfortable. How to make it more effective--cover the windshield, keep shades down, use the night to get your coach colder than you want (70 degrees), to be a little ahead of the curve when daytime comes. Still might not be able to hold below 78 (or maybe might reach 82).
Good luck.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Thor Motorcoach builds these like they were free!

Thor doesn't build quality insulation nor efficient air conditioning units into their products. I just went to Texas and back on a 2 week trip in my new coach and it was miserable during the day. This $124,000 Synergy heats up like an oven in the sun and the roof a/c is a loud noisy joke. It cools adequately after the sun goes down but in the heat of the day (when you actually really need it) it sucks. Not only is the insulation inferior or nonexistent but the duct work is cheap and sloppy as well. This combined with an inadequate AC unit provides very little relief on a hot sunny day. Poor quality as we have come to expect from Thor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My Synergy.png
Views:	130
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	5805  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Was actually in San Antonio over the 4th and it did OK. Per manual you can't expect it to be 70 degrees but stayed about 80 most of the time which is comfortable enough since we are all in shorts, t-shirts and sandals
Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.0
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarter View Post
Was actually in San Antonio over the 4th and it did OK. Per manual you can't expect it to be 70 degrees but stayed about 80 most of the time which is comfortable enough since we are all in shorts, t-shirts and sandals
Yes! If your maintaining somewhere around 80 that's about all your going to get if your parked in the sun. Parking in the shade can give you a few more degrees which can be the difference in comfortable and not so much.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Ron put MaxxAir Vent Covers over each of our vents...we use those covered vents to our advantage to draw out the hot air. It would have been nice if Thor had put a white cover on the a/c unit rather than black.

There is something to be said for having a tan or white RV, rather than black.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

THOR #6280
Ask yourself a simple question!

THE LIE
Mr. New Coach Buyer: "Hey Mr. Dealer how is this thing on the road and camping out with this roof AC, is it nice and cool inside?"
Mr. Dealer: "Why it sure is Mr. Buyer, these things are quality built you'll love it, you can even run the rooftop AC on the road if it gets real hot outside."
Mr. New Coach Buyer: "Gee that's great I'll take it."

THE TRUTH
Mr. New Coach Buyer: "Hey Mr. Dealer how is this thing on the road and camping out with this roof AC, is it nice and cool inside?"
Mr. Dealer: "Well it cools it off some, it will only lower your inside temperature to around 80 degrees on a hot day and that's at full blast with a lot of interior noise and the chassis AC running as well."
Mr. New Coach Buyer: Forget it I'm not buying that!

So you see folks if Sleazy Bob the lying RV salesman told the truth he would not sell any units. If sleazy Tom the RV factory rep told the truth Sleazy Bob and you both would not buy the unit. If sleazy Rv Mfg told the truth about their extremely low quality and inferior product NOBODY would buy them.

I actually have a relative in management at the mfg. That relative (different last name so untraceable by this string) has told me so much about the production and quality problems that I wouldn't take their stock if it was free!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	119
ID:	5808  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #10

Model: ACE 29.0
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
THE LIE
Mr. Dealer: "Why it sure is Mr. Buyer, these things are quality built you'll love it, you can even run the rooftop AC on the road if it gets real hot outside."
Mr. New Coach Buyer: "Gee that's great I'll take it."

THE TRUTH
Mr. Dealer: "Well it cools it off some, it will only lower your inside temperature to around 80 degrees on a hot day and that's at full blast with a lot of interior noise and the chassis AC running as well."
Mr. New Coach Buyer: Forget it I'm not buying that!

So you see folks if Sleazy Bob the lying RV salesman told the truth he would not sell any units. If sleazy Tom the RV factory rep told the truth Sleazy Bob and you both would not buy the unit. If sleazy Rv Mfg told the truth about their extremely low quality and inferior product NOBODY would buy them.

I actually have a relative in management at the mfg. That relative (different last name so untraceable by this string) has told me so much about the production and quality problems that I wouldn't take their stock if it was free!
Then don't and feel free to keep your personal feelings to yourself. If you don't check these things out isn't it sorta kinda your own fault.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

THOR #8306
[emoji29]
Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #12

THOR #8306
Robincyn, I have the same issues. I remember when I was a cop on road patrol driving around in the hot sun all day, even my car's air conditioning wouldn't keep me cool enough and I had to find shade in order to feel comfortable. Good luck with yours!
Old 07-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 22B
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Then don't and feel free to keep your personal feelings to yourself. If you don't check these things out isn't it sorta kinda your own fault.

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
You're correct, but in fairness to just about everyone who is new to RVing, there is no way for a new buyer to know that much of what sales people say is pure Bu11$hit.

The fact is that the more you know about RVs, the way they are designed, and the way they are built, the less you want to own one.

I'm not supporting using the forum to vent on poor quality, but industry practices like pressuring buyers to commit without even driving the motorhome are inexcusable.

I think the smartest thing a prospective buyer can do is rent a similar RV. After a week or two they will know whether they really like 8 MPG, noise, poor handling, inability to drive it, ineffective A/C, etc....

I agree with you that much of the blame is on buyers, but without extreme rants addressing poor design and build quality, even more newbies will keep making huge life-altering mistakes.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
x2!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #16

THOR #6280
Quote:

People like you are the reason people like me are disappointed with Thor coach quality. They probably figure like you apparently do, “buyers beware"! I didn’t drive around for a week and run the AC in my or my wife’s Mercedes before I bought them either. Know why? Because it’s not a piece of low quality junk that’s why. A placated weak and docile society is easily manipulated and duped; you obviously have mistaken me for one of those. You were wrong.
In addition, this is a Thor owner’s blog. It is here for the express purpose of sharing good or bad. Sorry but you don't get to tell me what to post or what not to post. Maybe that works in your house but it won’t fly here. I speak and write “Black tongue Voice foo fluently” so if you want to engage in a bit of mental gymnastics please do so I welcome the effort. Just start a new thread so we have the room.
Have a good day and remember. You don’t control others no matter what you think!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	104
ID:	5810  
Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #18

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
ac help

take a look at my post about changing a/c units and the repairs to the duct work , i went barley any air flow from vents to almost to much in some area's, they sealing around the internal vent passage is poor, took one can of spray foam
Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #19

THOR #8306
Quote:
People like you are the reason people like me are disappointed with Thor coach quality. They probably figure like you apparently do, “buyers beware"! I didn’t drive around for a week and run the AC in my or my wife’s Mercedes before I bought them either. Know why? Because it’s not a piece of low quality junk that’s why. A placated weak and docile society is easily manipulated and duped; you obviously have mistaken me for one of those. You were wrong.
In addition, this is a Thor owner’s blog. It is here for the express purpose of sharing good or bad. Sorry but you don't get to tell me what to post or what not to post. Maybe that works in your house but it won’t fly here. I speak and write “Black tongue Voice foo fluently” so if you want to engage in a bit of mental gymnastics please do so I welcome the effort. Just start a new thread so we have the room.
Have a good day and remember. You don’t control others no matter what you think!
Agree Totally[emoji106]
Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #20

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Thor doesn't build quality insulation nor efficient air conditioning units into their products. I just went to Texas and back on a 2 week trip in my new coach and it was miserable during the day. This $124,000 Synergy heats up like an oven in the sun and the roof a/c is a loud noisy joke. It cools adequately after the sun goes down but in the heat of the day (when you actually really need it) it sucks. Not only is the insulation inferior or nonexistent but the duct work is cheap and sloppy as well. This combined with an inadequate AC unit provides very little relief on a hot sunny day. Poor quality as we have come to expect from Thor.

What size ac is you ac unit how many btu