Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #1236
Mosquito Leak, Seriously!

What I have learned is that you have to love a mystery if you are a Thor owner. We have a 2014 Citation Sprinter. On a recent trip along the Texas Coast we found an idyllic campsite right on the ocean. Could not have been better until the sun went down. Within a few minutes the entire coach was filled with hundreds, if not thousands, of mosquitos. Now, every single vent and window was closed tight, not just the screens, but the glass. Absolutely no vents open, no AC. For days afterward we had a cloud of mosquitos trapped between the inner and outer skylite domes in the shower. Any ideas at all or similar experiences with this coach?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Thousands of mosquitoes would suggest they are breeding somewhere or are attracted.
Thus I'd look for holes, or not sealed up pass-throughs to the bottom (e.g. where plumbing goes through and isn't sealed up, etc.) near standing water (where they breed).

Another alternative is things that would attract them: Running the water heater on propane, the heater, or the refer? Perhaps the CO2 emitted attracted them and they found a way in near there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
Take a close look at the bottom tracks for your slides. You will find four locations where the flap is open to avoid getting caught, thus providing a flyway into your coach and at night it is even pretty well lighted for additional draw.

The remedy is to cut four T shaped plugs from stiff foam packing. You can find it in many electronics packaging. Avoid styrofoam as it may disintegrate and catch in the gear track. And, be sure to put a reminder by the switch so that you absolutely remember to remove before bringing in the slides.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
FreeRanger,

Does your outside heater cover have louvers on it? If so, there is a big opeing into your RV around the blower. Remove the 4 or 6 screws holding the heater cover in place and look in there. If you have louvers, may want to put some screen on the inside to block out the critters.

First picture is the new panel without louvers, second picture shows old panel with louvers.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1467480055 http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1467480147

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My New Panel.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2380  
Attached Images

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

THOR #1236
DocMike, thanks for weighing in and the pics but, no lovers on my cover. The mystery continues....
Old 07-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

THOR #2142
FreeRanger,

Over the past year I have done several modifications and a couple suprised me.

Does your unit have an outside TV?

Our Vegas does and when I was running cables to it I had to get access behind the TV so as to run an HDMI from my computer to the TV. What I found was a big hole some 8"X4" behind the TV leading into the cabnets and drawers under the sink. Once I ran my cables I pluged the hole with some insulation and multiple layers of duct tape!

Doc

Old 07-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #1249
FWIW, on our last RV we had an invasion of ants. Folks in the campground gave us two insect bombs to set off inside. Said that was the only way to be rid of them entirely. Was not convenient to cover stuff and evacuate for a few hours, but it did the job. Not saying it will work with the skeeters, but may be worth checking out.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

THOR #1236
Doc, thanks for another idea but I know there are no holes in my exterior TV cabinet since I spent considerable time this winter resealing it so rain would not continue to get in it. You've got to admire the Thor business model: get the folks who give you money for your product to do the quality control repair work. OK, enough of that. Thanks for the ideas though.

Ranger
Old 07-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #9

THOR #2142
FreeRanger,
Okay, this is my last offering. One night I was given dog duty at Zero Dark Thirty. I took the dogs out for their "needs". When I returned I noted a white spot outside the door on the ground. Once I got the dogs in I started looking around, there was a small gap (1 inch) in the lining around the steps inside the door next to battery compartment.
This is a long shot, but it does not take much for bugs to get in. When you find the point of infiltration please post it, You Never Know.

Doc

Old 07-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #10

THOR #1236
Thanks Doc. Your persistent and I appreciate it! No gaps like the one you found. I keep thinking that the secret to solving this mystery is figuring out how they got between the inner and outer skylight domes in the shower. However, for now I'm more concerned with why my skylight quit working. Thanks again for trying and if I ever do figure out how the mosquitos swarmed in, I'll let you know.

Free Ranger
Old 07-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
my first thought was like EV2, big openings in the slides on mine

my 2nd thought is through the plumbing/tanks and either
empty traps,
faulty trap-less shower drain (Hepvo Waterless Valve),
or faulty air admittance valves in the drain line(s)
Old 08-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #12

Model: CHATEAU Class C 22B
State: British Columbia
THOR #19658
Exclamation Mosquitos

My solution worked. I made sure my dash A/C and heater control was switched from VENT to OFF. When the dial was at VENT when parked, you could see them come in.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #13

THOR #1236
Well Woodman, thank you for this. I'll tell you how I finally solved this and all my other Thor problems: I sold it. Problems just went away! But, seriously, thanks for the input. That particular issue still has me stumped.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:32 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ranger View Post
Well Woodman, thank you for this. I'll tell you how I finally solved this and all my other Thor problems: I sold it. Problems just went away! But, seriously, thanks for the input. That particular issue still has me stumped.
Now that is funny!!
Old 08-24-2020, 12:54 AM   #15

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
what a post!
Old 08-24-2020, 01:12 AM   #16

THOR #2142
Free Ranger,
DocMike here. Glad to see the mystery of the mosquito invasion has been solved.
We too switched to another brand of RV. We got all the ""bugs" worked out of our 2016 Vegas but wanted something a little bit bigger with more room in the shower. We went with a previous year (but still new) Class C (some say B) 2019 Nexus Viper 27V. It is laid out much like the newer Vegas 27.7 but without the overhead drop down bed (something we used only 4 or 5 times in 5 years).
Safe travels.
Doc Reott

Old 11-14-2020, 01:23 AM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #10707
SOBrand

Doc,
“Bugs” aside...and pretty sure this doesn’t belong here — but where? I recognized your name while I was Googling the Nexus product recently. Wondering if the 2021 B+ Viper 25V would be a more stable drive than my 2018 24.1 (Safe T Plus added), your thoughts on the Nexus quality, and if you can add to my list of considerations.
Viper 25V pros: shorter, may drive more like my Sequoia, 7.3L, larger slide gives more floor space, larger bathroom, microwave location, the dinette may be more useful than a sofa, 7.5 fridge.
Viper 25V cons: steps not integrated, awning not legless, small sink, interior and ext colors dark, not roller shades, not 3 TVs.
Have never used the overhead bed. Just us two, no pets, rarely grandkids.
What do you miss?