Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 02:46 AM   #1
c&p

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 4 Winds 31A
State: Virginia
THOR #12562
Motorhome Good Sam Extended Service Gold Plan

Being new to the RV world we are looking into some extended service. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences w/ Good Sam Extended Services, in particular their Gold???

Seems like reviews indicate if anything happens you have to really ride them & stay on top.. We just want some ideas/ alternatives that anyone could give us on our 2014 Thor 4 Winds 31a class C motor home...
Thanks for your input/feedback.
C & P "Newbies"
Williamsburg, Va

Old 09-22-2018, 03:07 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Put the money you'd spend on an extended service plan in the bank and use it when something goes wrong.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
This topic has been covered here and on other forums many times. Do a search for "extended warranty" and you will have plenty of opinions to study.

There is always someone who steps up and says one saved them big time, but the deductibles and exclusions can bite you. Before you buy, keep in mind that the dealer selling that contract keeps about half for commission, and the issuing company has to make a profit. That doesn't leave a huge pot to pay claims, does it?

I agree with Jamie about saving that money for future repairs. You'll be money ahead, but it requires discipline.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I will agree that the topic has been covered over and over again. With that said I am one that does have GS extended warrenty and have for years on two different rigs. I had to use it on my tv a few years back to replace all of the steering parts. That saved me a ton of money. I have not used it on my current MH and really hope I do not have to. The main thing on using it is that the shop that does the work has to have the ok first. GS may even send out a inspector to make sure the work is what it its. That happened to me on my tv after inspection all was handled great. Most of folks will say put the money in the bank and use that for repair work. Thats great if they have that kind of will power to do that, I do not thats why I have the extended warrenty.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
When I bought my MH I looked into GS. The dealer said it would only cost me a few dollars a month, but when I asked what the total price would be, they said around $10000. I looked on my own and went with a different company for less then half of what GS wanted. Check out different company’s and do not go through the dealer, they just add onto the cost. You may be able to get GS on your own without going through the dealer if GS is what you decide on.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We bought it: $8900 worth!
But since we're rank amateurs in this game: we figured that it would be the cost of "Peace of Mind".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I purchased an extended plan (noob) but before hand a I had a great qoute from Good Sams so when CW was pushing me for an extended warentee I told them no thanks a few times but when they pushed me I told them less than what my Good Sams was (for 4 years) and they gave me one or like 1800 - 1900 for 5 years! So I took it. Looking back - I think I would have been better off just doing the work myself (Like I have for the past year anyway) but I was new to the RV thing so I wanted some piece of mind.

So if you go for it keep turning them down until its like $1800 to $2000 range (or less).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote