Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Motorized bicycles in state/national parks

Can anyone advise whether or not motorized bicycles are prohibited in national parks? Know laws vary state by state but anyone know if these are prohibited in any state parks. I'm thinking about adding small 2 stroke, maybe 80cc gas motors to beach cruiser style adult bikes for me and Mrs. Oldchief.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Motors

https://b.3cdn.net/bikes/d4d3792f364..._2nm6b4ec8.pdf

Chief,
All the looking around on the web I did, it appears that the fossil fueled motor would make it a "Motor Vehicle" instead of an electric bicycle. You might be okay on the paved roads from what I read but not on a designated bicycle path. Let us know if you find something that directly answers your question. I would suggest that you look at what is on the market for the e-bikes since they are getting better all the time. Don't let the $4k price tags scare you since there are many out there that are much less.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We have 50cc mopeds and ride them all the time in parks. No problems yet.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would think that if a motorcycle can cruise thru National or State parks, a motorized scooter, bike, or most anything else could 'IF' it is a tagged/licensed and insured vehicle...
otherwise, it might be considered a 'toy', and not allowed on the roads, and probably since it has a motor, also not on the walkways, paths, or even bike paths.

These same questions come up many times with golf carts, atvs, and ohrvs, in many jurisdictions and government regulated parks/areas.

Some small towns, especially in golf communities, allow golf carts on the roads IF they reach the minimum level of safety - such as turn signals, brake lights, and also include tag/license plates and is insured... with a licensed driver at the wheel.

I imagine that motorized bikes are in a similar standing in many areas... they can't attain a minimum speed on major roads and interstates, and they don't carry the aforementioned standard safety equipment, such as signals and brake lights, yet they are considered a motorized vehicle, as far as the authorities are concerned, putting them into the same 'laws' and restrictions of roadworthy vehicles.

Of course, if you 'look' like you're peddling your bike, maybe nobody would be the wiser!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
There are many regular RV parks that will not allow non-licensed motorized bikes, scooters, golf carts, etc at all in the park.

You can do the same think albeit at a higher price to make the beach cruisers electric assisted. Probably easier to do with a kit then messing with the little 2 cycle kits. YouTube has the videos and Ebay and Amazon have the kits.

I've been thinking of doing this with a tandem beach cruiser.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:17 AM   #6

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
There are many regular RV parks that will not allow non-licensed motorized bikes, scooters, golf carts, etc at all in the park.

You can do the same think albeit at a higher price to make the beach cruisers electric assisted. Probably easier to do with a kit then messing with the little 2 cycle kits. YouTube has the videos and Ebay and Amazon have the kits.

I've been thinking of doing this with a tandem beach cruiser.
Yeah, we been using the disabled / battery powered 3 wheeled scooters for long trail walks. They weigh 75 lbs and can be disassembled into 4 parts to be stowed in our SUV, along with the luggage. Incidently, we can also use them for going thru international airports, just carry the data on the type of battery. Batteries last about 1 1/2 hours.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Motorized bicycles are not allowed on most trails. However, motorized assist bikes can be used anywhere a regular bike can be ridden. I purchased one for my wife and me. They're assist only works when you are pedaling and can be set from 10% to 80% assist. We both love them.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:36 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Motorized bicycles are not allowed on most trails. However, motorized assist bikes can be used anywhere a regular bike can be ridden. I purchased one for my wife and me. They're assist only works when you are pedaling and can be set from 10% to 80% assist. We both love them.
Agree a lot of what they are talking about is the bike trail system. Go test ride a pedal assist bike and you will probably be purchasing one. they fit well with rv's .
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Agree a lot of what they are talking about is the bike trail system. Go test ride a pedal assist bike and you will probably be purchasing one. they fit well with rv's .

Really looking into this pedal assist. Any thoughts on brands and quality?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
We wanted on road, trail, beach, snow trails (very popular now), transport ability for motorhome or car, Power, Ease of repair, Quality, Cost (I did have to buy 5...all Christmas gifts) and that led us to the Sondors Fold X. Around $1,100.00 ea. delivered to door. We all love them. 3 neighbors have ordered the same after riding ours. All ages from 10 to 70 yrs. Old can ride this bike. Their are so many out their now. Get what you think will fit your family's lifestyle. In my opinion Sondors and Rad Cycles have the best Quality Priced bikes on the market as of now. Get the Best Fit for You!! Good Luck. If your in NW. Indiana stop for a test ride.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
We have ridden Pedego’s very, very nice but $$$$. Thanks for the information and any other advice is appreciated.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 AM   #12

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Electric Bike

Like I have posted before, we have Motiv brand bikes and are pretty satisfied with them. They have a twist throttle on the right handlebar and we got the higher volt (48) battery wo they have more power for the hills.