Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 AM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD
when I get it back I'm going to disconnect the camera mirrors, don't use them and don't like them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant
I'm thinking of the same thing. When I have a turn signal on, I'm watching my mirrors and looking at the camera display is a distraction that I think is worse for understanding your surroundings.
That's the thing: When you are turning/merging left you're looking out the left mirror its distracting to look right to look at the camera when you're looking left.

Turning right isn't an issue because you're already looking that way..

In our case, with the Jensen radio, there is sufficient delay for the mirror camera to come on that its a waste--I'm already progressing into the turn by the time the camera shows up (yeah yeah "turn your turn signals on sooner!" LOL--it really does take some time, like 3 or 4 flashes of the turn signal before full video shows up).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:43 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
This is so cool! I went out and tried this and it works! While the rear camera is on, the blinkers don't mute (or lower) the volume. I guess the only catch is that I have to leave the rear camera on whenever the radio is on, but I can live with that, at least until the camera plays out. HA! (But I'll deal with that later.) Thanks for the reply!
That is not the way mine works. If I have the radio displayed and use the turn signals the radio volume does not go away. The radio volume remains the same and the display changes to the respective side camera until the turn signals are cancelled and then the display goes back to radio without a change in volume. The same holds turn when I am in "Aux IN" for my Sirius radio.

Again, for mine to work the way it does I had to re-wire the camera and rear mic when the AV614 was swapped out for the AV615. My camera is plugged into the camera jack and the rear mic is plugged into the AV2 Audio in on the back of the radio. To use the rear mic I have to switch the radio to AV2 and increase the volume there and then reset the volume to 0 so I don't get a lot of road noise while travelling.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #6369
In our 2017 Winsport we had a axxera radio where the radio did not play if you had the backup camera on. If the camera was off and you put the turn signal on the camera showing the sides would come on and the radio would stay on but if you had the back up camera on the radio would not play. Fortunately our radio stopped working and we found out that the model we had was no longer being made and Thor sent us a new model. For some reason everything works the way you would want it to.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #24

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
Sounds like it all depends on the how well the technicians have been trained to hook up the radio and how cleaver the user is in finding ways to work around the potential problems. I was happy to learn what I was able to pick up from these posts. I was dreading having to dig into this thing and use trial and error to get the wires in all the correct places.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Axxerra Rear speakers

Has anyone hooked up the second set of speaker feeds on the Axxera? If so where the wires already in the harness connecting the first speakers (I havent opened things up to check yet). I have a Vegas 24.1 and would like to install a second set of speakers.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:01 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS950 View Post
On my radio, when the turn signal is on, you cannot adjust the radio volume. No other issues.
Exactly what mine does.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:12 AM   #27

State: Illinois
THOR #5321
I own a Challenger with the xxera radio. I also have an IPhone. What I use is the Bluetooth on the xxera and news and music apps on my I phone, works perfectly no interruptions. I can keep in touch with my home base news or listen to national news on SiriusXM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:24 AM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Second set? I already have two, one by drivers and pass legs, and the other on the bottom of the cabinets above couch. I assume if you have a dinette they are still there?
Old 09-10-2017, 01:54 AM   #29

Model: Hurrican 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #9124
Fix for radio going silent with turn signals

Quote:
My radio goes silent when the turn signal is on! I know this is a safety feature but it's driving me nuts. I'm to the point where I want to change lanes without hitting the blinker. Is there any way to by-pass this very distracting and frustrating feature???
We just bought a 2018 Hurricane 29M and had the same problem. The radio is a newer Axxera (AVM70). Not only did the radio go silent when turn signals were on it did the same when I shifted into reverse. The other issue I had with the turn signals was that I like to leave the rear camera on when driving so I can see my Jeep. Any time I used the turn signals the monitor would return to the radio screen instead of the camera where I wanted it.

I pulled the radio out from the dash and when I looked at the wiring I found an orange wire labeled "Back View Control". I disconnected that wire and now the cameras work the way I want them to. Shifting to reverse or using the turn signals doesn't automatically switch to camera view and silence the radio. The good news is that I can manually switch to camera mode and it stays on the camera and switches to the correct side camera when signals are used. I still have volume control using the "old fashioned method" of turning the knob.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #30

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #8503
Quote:
This is so cool! I went out and tried this and it works! While the rear camera is on, the blinkers don't mute (or lower) the volume. I guess the only catch is that I have to leave the rear camera on whenever the radio is on, but I can live with that, at least until the camera plays out. HA! (But I'll deal with that later.) Thanks for the reply!
Just finished my first long trip. I tried this "fix" also and it did the trick. However, during the trip, I started getting a "NO INPUT" readout on the screen and the cameras (both rear and side) quit working. Was intermittent for most of trip. Going in to get it checked out next week. I saw on another forum where this seems to be a not unusual issue and seems to usually require removal of the radio and securing wire connections.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #31

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Just finished my first long trip. I tried this "fix" also and it did the trick. However, during the trip, I started getting a "NO INPUT" readout on the screen and the cameras (both rear and side) quit working. Was intermittent for most of trip. Going in to get it checked out next week. I saw on another forum where this seems to be a not unusual issue and seems to usually require removal of the radio and securing wire connections.
This is pretty common but the problem seems to be the camera switch box under the dash. All three cameras go thru the switch box which has turn signal and reverse triggers which sent the appropriate signal to the radio. If your coach is under warranty then the dealer can replace it, if not you can order a replacement directly from https://www.rearviewsafety.com/ The box is easy to replace, just plug and play.

This is what the box looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2020.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	7059
Old 09-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #32

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
This is pretty common but the problem seems to be the camera switch box under the dash. All three cameras go thru the switch box which has turn signal and reverse triggers which sent the appropriate signal to the radio. If your coach is under warranty then the dealer can replace it, if not you can order a replacement directly from https://www.rearviewsafety.com/ The box is easy to replace, just plug and play.

This is what the box looks like:

Attachment 7059
Thanks for that info. If the dealer doesn't take care of it next week, I'll give that a try. Are there any forum posts or info anyplace on how to get to it?
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 09-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #33

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
If you have the removable panel on the top of your dash, remove it and look down and to the right, should be laying in that area. You'll have three camera cable inputs, a wiring plug, and a camera output to the radio, all easy to remove and replace. If you don't see the box from the top then look under the dash to the left of the radio.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #34

THOR #8503
Quote:
If you have the removable panel on the top of your dash, remove it and look down and to the right, should be laying in that area. You'll have three camera cable inputs, a wiring plug, and a camera output to the radio, all easy to remove and replace. If you don't see the box from the top then look under the dash to the left of the radio.
Thanks. It is at a storage facility right now. When I get it out to take to dealer next week, I'll check that.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 09-24-2017, 02:07 AM   #35

Model: 2015 Hurricane 31S
State: Virginia
THOR #2130
Our radio reception is so crappy in our 31S I don't even bother putting the antenna up any more. However, using the iPhone or the XM Sirius the signal processes in turn signal use without volume degradation so I would assume if I ever use the radio the performance is the same. Never tried it in reverse and if I did I would probably turn off any entertainment source to concentrate on being in reverse.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy
Blue Ox Tow Bar and attachment Plate/SMI Brake System
Taking Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #36

THOR #8503
Quote:
SuperD, I removed the dash panel this afternoon and looked inside. Yep, it was laying there with the cables plugged in. Is the box itself supposed to be attached to something or does it always just lay there loose so it can fly around at will?
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 09-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #37
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Loose and flyable!!! That's the way Thor likes it!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:30 AM   #38

Model: Windsport 29
THOR #9245
We are band new owners of a Sunsport 29M and the volume cut out was driving me crazy. That is until the Axxera crapped out entirely. The touch screen died or came disconnected. So the only control is using the remote with the channel scan buttons. And it still cuts the volume when turning. I don't even use the side view cameras. I would love to disconnect them and keep the sound on.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:01 AM   #39

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
We are band new owners of a Sunsport 29M and the volume cut out was driving me crazy. That is until the Axxera crapped out entirely. The touch screen died or came disconnected. So the only control is using the remote with the channel scan buttons. And it still cuts the volume when turning. I don't even use the side view cameras. I would love to disconnect them and keep the sound on.
If you tap the camera icon so that the rear camera is always displayed, then the volume on the radio wont drop when the turn signal is used.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #40

State: California
THOR #11160
Turn signal Mute

We picked up out new 2018 Quantum RC25 back in January and are disappointed in the radio/Camera function as well.
In addition to the
1) rear camera not coming back on after use of turn signal. Very annoying and distracting since you have to hit 3 buttons to turn it back on.
2) Radio muting during the use of turn signal plus about 5 seconds. Extremely annoying to the point of distraction and temptation NOT to use turn signals when turning or changing lanes.

we also have an annoying drop in audio when certain mp3 files are being bluetooth or Aux in on the radio. We listen to books on tape quite a bit and while listening, for no apparent reason, the audio drops and we randomly miss some 2-5 seconds of audio! Now every book is a mystery!

The dealer told us that Thor told them that the bluetooth module cannot keep up with the data from the downloaded book file. It works fine when plugged into the auxiliary input. This was not the case & when we showed the dealer that the problem persists on Aux in as well, they said they will contact Thor about this last issue and maybe a new radio. Stay tuned!!

I must say, the Axxera AVM 70 that came with our rig is a huge disappointment. Also have issues with the Girard GSWH2 instant HW Heater, but will start a new thread on that