Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2017, 02:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
My radio goes silent when the turn signal is on!

My radio goes silent when the turn signal is on! I know this is a safety feature but it's driving me nuts. I'm to the point where I want to change lanes without hitting the blinker. Is there any way to by-pass this very distracting and frustrating feature???

Old 04-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829

What radio do you have in your ACE??

On my Hurricane with Jensen RV212T, the radio only goes silent in Reverse - or with 4-way flashers - both of which activate the external MIC with rear camera... Side cameras don't have a MIC on mine - and don't affect the radio volume - turning on the blinker of course displays that camera on the radio screen.

Might be a way to adjust the wiring if we know the unit.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:42 AM   #3

THOR #6634
I should have done a better job of explaining. I have a 2017 ace and the radio brand is axxera. Like yours, when the blinker comes on, the side camera view displays on the screen, but with mine the sound goes completely off during the entire time the blinker is on, plus an additional three or four seconds thereafter. I (try to) listen to news radio while driving but the repeated breaks in the middle of the conversations makes the programming un-listenable. (Note: I've been driving and changing lanes for years while listening to the radio. I can't understand why Thor or Axxera or whoever thinks I can't handle both tasks at the same time...)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:45 AM   #4

THOR #6634
Axxera AV615BHM, to be exact...
Old 04-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #4593
Mine does the same.... silly function IMHO.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:00 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Mine doesn't go silent but the volume goes way down. I am guessing with the camera and turn signal on there just isn't enough power to keep the volume turned up.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
I have the same issue in my Miramar. IMO the Axxera radios are the worst. I have completely turned it off and rarely listen to the radio while driving. Does anyone recommend a good replacement?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Some of the radios are set up to use a rear microphone on the camera which is why the radio cuts out when turn signals are on. My coach is at the dealer for warranty work now, when I get it back I'm going to disconnect the camera mirrors, don't use them and don't like them.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I haven't checked mine to see how the volume reacts with the turn signals. When my AV614 was replaced with an AV615 (under extended warranty) I had an issue with the rear mic volume not being controllable. I posted my findings and the fix on this thread.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...tion-6346.html
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
My radio goes silent when the turn signal is on! I know this is a safety feature but it's driving me nuts. I'm to the point where I want to change lanes without hitting the blinker. Is there any way to by-pass this very distracting and frustrating feature???
Glad to see this post, I thought I had a wiring problem although the rear camera seems to have a distortion on the upper part of the screen. If this is really just a function then I can live with it I guess. Does your Axerra cycle through the title display and radio periodically when you are not driving? Also, is there any way to turn off the Axxera radio (I end up just putting the RV in store mode to cut all power).
Old 04-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
My Axxera is wired to the house batteries so it will stay on after the engine is turned off. It usually goes to a blue screen and stays unless I change the menu input or power it down manually.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
it's so you can focus on the traffic around you(???)

ha ha, I saw this post and had a flashback to being a kid in the car with mom driving. Anytime in the city, especially in an unfamiliar one should would be yelling at us kids to keep quiet....and she'd turn off the radio. She had to reduce distractions to focus....
Old 04-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #13

THOR #6634
Fear of driver distraction is the only thing I can figure. I've been driving and listening to the radio since John met Yoko and the biggest driving distraction I've seen is my radio cutting out when I turn on a blinker. I wonder whose Idea this was.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Ok folks, don't blame the poor, unable to defend itself, Axxerra AV615 for this one. I just walked out to my coach and the radio volume as well as Aux In (which is my Sirius port) does not die when I use the turn signals. My guess is your problem is the manner in which your cameras are connected into the radio, especially if you have an exterior mic on the rear camera.

I will be the first to admit the Axxerra has its faults but killing the radio volume when using the turn signals is not one of them.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
OUR AXXERA works fine and we are happy with it, albeit the Sony speakers are low-end. Our radio functions when the turn signals are on howevere, volume cannot be adjusted until signal is off (no problem for us)

To turn off Axxera completely...push and hold the on/off power round button on the upper left below the eject button. It will power it down.

Also...re the Jensen in the bedroom...you will get less battery leak if you turn off the back light. We only use that radio when outdoors, so, backlight is not necessary.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Our Axxera 614 doesn't have any sound when any camera is on. Since we tow a Jeep I like the rear camera on all the time which means we can't listen to the radio. All 3 cameras feed a switcher which then feeds the video signal to the 614. I just figured it was another stupid safety feature imposed on all us old people that can't multi task after more then 50 years of driving.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:43 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
I have the Axxera 615, if the rear camera is turned on and left on, then the volume will not change when using the turn signals.
Just tap the screen to exit the rear camera view if you want to change stations or make other changes, then just tap the camera icon again to get the rear camera display back.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
THOR #1907
On my radio, when the turn signal is on, you cannot adjust the radio volume. No other issues.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:56 AM   #19

THOR #6634
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
I have the Axxera 615, if the rear camera is turned on and left on, then the volume will not change when using the turn signals.
Just tap the screen to exit the rear camera view if you want to change stations or make other changes, then just tap the camera icon again to get the rear camera display back.
This is so cool! I went out and tried this and it works! While the rear camera is on, the blinkers don't mute (or lower) the volume. I guess the only catch is that I have to leave the rear camera on whenever the radio is on, but I can live with that, at least until the camera plays out. HA! (But I'll deal with that later.) Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 AM   #20

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Some of the radios are set up to use a rear microphone on the camera which is why the radio cuts out when turn signals are on. My coach is at the dealer for warranty work now, when I get it back I'm going to disconnect the camera mirrors, don't use them and don't like them.
I'm thinking of the same thing. When I have a turn signal on, I'm watching my mirrors and looking at the camera display is a distraction that I think is worse for understanding your surroundings.

For me volume just goes down when the turn signal is on. We don't have the radio on much as road noise makes it hard to hear. I'm thinking of disconnecting the front speakers that are located near your feet and replacing them with a couple of quality speakers on top of the dash against the front pillars. I know that Thor moved the front speakers to attempt to fix problems with poor sound, but I don't think its been effective.