Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
My Vegas sounds like an airplane

Seriously, I get about 65 or over (the RV, not me, lol) and something starts vibrating. It sounds like it's right outside the drivers side but I've checked and double checked everything. There was a piece of black vinyl that seemed loose, but I super glued the heck out of months ago. I have had the rear fender trims fall off (warranty replaced one and the warranty will replace the other. Today I was head into a 10+ mph wind and had to keep it near 60 to have something not vibrate like it sounds like an airplane. This has been going on since I bought the Vegas 9 months ago and will talk to the dealer tomorrow. Anybody ever have this problem before? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Never heard of this.

Was that black vinyl part inside the front fender well? I could see that making a racket if flapping around from the wind and/or rubbing on the tire.

I would put some screws into anything like that under the fender wells. Or maybe drill some holes and add a few zip ties?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How loose is your hood?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #4

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Never heard of this.
Was that black vinyl part inside the front fender well? I could see that making a racket if flapping around from the wind and/or rubbing on the tire.
It's the trim around the trimless windows. The one that was loose was right outside where the passenger sits and also the one on the driver side was loose, but the super glue fix didn't work on this side.

Quote:
Never heard of this.
I would put some screws into anything like that under the fender wells. Or maybe drill some holes and add a few zip ties?
Or maybe duct tape, LOL...It's still under warranty, so I'm holding Thor's feet to the fire to fix everything. The dealer I've been working with has been fantastic and has accepted everything. However, the snow birds have jammed up the place, but I feel if I identify during the warranty period, then I should have it covered.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
How loose is your hood?
Yes, that's one of the places I suspected. It is very tight and firm and snug.

My current suspicion is the tarp that rolls out when the living room slide is extended. Don't forget I've got the 24.1 floor plan that has the enlarged living room.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post
Yes, that's one of the places I suspected. It is very tight and firm and snug.

My current suspicion is the tarp that rolls out when the living room slide is extended. Don't forget I've got the 24.1 floor plan that has the enlarged living room.
We also have a 24.1 but have not experienced this noise. (I did have the weatherstripping on the passenger window loose at one point but it never made a noise.)

The slide topper could cause the issue: Get up on a ladder and see how easily it unrolls.

Is your front fender trim loose (You did mention you lost the rear trim). Perhaps the side view mirror is loose?

You probably have the shorter front window--did you check how well the front window is sealed? Perhaps that weather stripping is vibrating?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

THOR #12231
Or maybe duct tape, LOL...It's still under warranty, so I'm holding Thor's feet to the fire to fix everything. The dealer I've been working with has been fantastic and has accepted everything. However, the snow birds have jammed up the place, but I feel if I identify during the warranty period, then I should have it covered.[/QUOTE]

I gave up on Camping World and started fixing everything myself. I was able to get them to order a few parts that I needed (after 9 mo) and just install myself. Most of my stuff was minor so it was not a big deal.

It got to the point its not worth waiting on them to order parts, put up with the aggravation of the situation and waste my time dropping off and picking up two or 3 times for very little being done, then I find the RV is filthy dirty inside and out (I keep a clean ride and have inside storage and they park on a gravel parking lot and track the stuff inside the RV). Plus they killed my OEM batteries and would not replace or discount new ones.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

THOR #11784
Quote:
Or maybe duct tape, LOL...It's still under warranty, so I'm holding Thor's feet to the fire to fix everything. The dealer I've been working with has been fantastic and has accepted everything. However, the snow birds have jammed up the place, but I feel if I identify during the warranty period, then I should have it covered.
I gave up on Camping World and started fixing everything myself. I was able to get them to order a few parts that I needed (after 9 mo) and just install myself. Most of my stuff was minor so it was not a big deal.

It got to the point its not worth waiting on them to order parts, put up with the aggravation of the situation and waste my time dropping off and picking up two or 3 times for very little being done, then I find the RV is filthy dirty inside and out (I keep a clean ride and have inside storage and they park on a gravel parking lot and track the stuff inside the RV). Plus they killed my OEM batteries and would not replace or discount new ones.[/QUOTE]

I have to give Kudos to Grezny in Bradenton. They have treated me very well, although Snow Bird season has caused them to get slammed with a ton of RVs.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post

It got to the point its not worth waiting on them to order parts, put up with the aggravation of the situation and waste my time dropping off and picking up two or 3 times for very little being done, then I find the RV is filthy dirty inside and out (I keep a clean ride and have inside storage and they park on a gravel parking lot and track the stuff inside the RV). Plus they killed my OEM batteries and would not replace or discount new ones.
"I have to give Kudos to Grezny in Bradenton. They have treated me very well, although Snow Bird season has caused them to get slammed with a ton of RVs."

I bought my Super C from them. There's a service tech back there named "Bubba". Not only is he a very nice man, he's the best and most knowledgeable service technician I've ever met. If you can get hooked up with him...it will be done right. If you run across a "Sales Goober" name Colin Campbell, run like Hell. Truly worthless as a human being.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #10

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
"I have to give Kudos to Grezny in Bradenton. They have treated me very well, although Snow Bird season has caused them to get slammed with a ton of RVs."

I bought my Super C from them. There's a service tech back there named "Bubba". Not only is he a very nice man, he's the best and most knowledgeable service technician I've ever met. If you can get hooked up with him...it will be done right. If you run across a "Sales Goober" name Colin Campbell, run like Hell. Truly worthless as a human being.
Indeed I have had work done by Bubba and he does an excellent job. I'll be sure to mention him to the new service manger Larry (the guy with the New York accent.)

I've learned that 99% of RV salesman don't know jack about RV's, LOL.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Most of them are just "in training" for a career in "Buy Here, Pay Here" auto sales...where the customer really has no choice.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #12

THOR #11784
I talked to the dealer repair folks and they are not sure either. However, they are so swamped right now with the snow birds, I'm not sure if they gave it much thought.

However, logically thinking, in order for the sound to be produced, there MUST be something vibrating. In order for something to vibrate it MUST be not as secure as it should be. Ergo, I MUST check any and everything outside of the RV because something is causing the noise. How's this sound?
Old 02-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Have you checked the front tires for cupping, or they might need to be rebalanced
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #14

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Have you checked the front tires for cupping, or they might need to be rebalanced
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that angle. From previous cursory tire examinations, they appear fine, but now that you mention it I will take a much closer look. I really don't feel anything on the steering wheel, but hey, the one thing I do know is that it MUST be somewhere.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #15

THOR #11784
MYSTERY SOLVED!!!

The airplane sounding noise with my front vent cover on my roof not being 100% tightened. Eventually, it got looser and looser until it was only being held down by only one bolt. Of course I found this out at a rest stop on I-81 in the Virginia mountains and it was 85 degrees while I climbed up on top of the roof. I was able to rescue it and it will be reinstalled, but the moral of the story is don't be afraid to check the roof when something sounds like an airplane at 65 mph.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
You may now remove your seat-belts, and feel free to move about the cabin...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #17

THOR #12231
I try to check my roof while driving in order to pinpoint noises.

Im glad you found it. I check everyting on my roof at least 2x a year. I will keep my eye on these bolts now.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
I think that I found the airplane noises...

Old 10-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #19

THOR #11784
Quote:

Im glad you found it. I check everyting on my roof at least 2x a year. I will keep my eye on these bolts now.
I am not physically able to climb up there much. However, I was very motivated to not lose this piece while flying (pun intended) down the interstate so I did it as anyway. Wish my dealer had a safety check procedure.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's nothing really all that wrong with getting old...

But at times: it can be a bit unhandy!

'Glad that you were able to "git 'er done!"