Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Need definitive answer from AXIS/VEGAS owners

I was under the impression (as apparently THOR is also) that the dash radio is powered by the COACH batteries, not the CHASSIS batteries. THOR says that the MEMORY lead to the dash radio can be tied to either the COACH or CHASSIS dependent on the year and model....

Apparently my dash radio is powered and has the memory tied to the CHASSIS battery. I am thinking of tracking it down and changing this, but would like to know if I am unique in this, or are other VEGAS/AXIS coaches faced with this...

I know, not a major issue, but am thinking that putting the power lead (and maybe the memory) on the COACH would help to keep the CHASSIS battery healthy and able to start.

Also, thanks for all the help you have provided in our first four months of being a NEWBIE RVer

Old 11-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
That is most likely the best approach. That said I don't know what powers the camera switcher; it is supposed to be the power antenna lead from the radio.

On ours if the use/store switch is placed in store the dash radio goes off.
If you pull the fuse in the distribution panel marked radio it goes off.
Those two make sense.

Now for the gotcha. If you pull the 15 amp fuse under the hood that is a power source for the Trombetta isolation relay and B.I.R.D the radio goes off. When we first got our coach that 15 amp fuse was wired to the cranking battery side of the Trombetta isolation relay. For ours I have moved it to the house battery side of the relay per both Intelletic and Thor wiring diagrams. Our cranking battery had gone dead and with the relay power on the cranking side of the relay the Aux start did not work!
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I did that when I replaced my 212: I hooked both of the 215's power leads to the house battery. The only real thing the keep-alive wire does is help it keep time. The 215 has a GPS in it and grabs the time as soon as it sees the satellites so why bother with the keep-alive power.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Mo Mike -- same as my 2015 Vegas 24.1. The house batteries power the radio and the camera system. The radio draws power from the chassis battery for the radio station preselects, clock, and calendar. If those also drew power from the house batteries, every time you'd put the USE/STORE in Store and electrically disconnect the house batteries the radio clock and calendar would zero out and you'd loose all the station selects you might have set. Every time you'd put the switch back in USE you'd have to reset the clock and calendar, and re-find and set all your station preselects.

The radio operational power probably is wired to the house batteries so that you could use the radio while camping without drawing down the chassis battery. That is also why the radio has a remote so that you can turn it on and off, adjust volume, and change stations all from the reclined comfort of your bed.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote