Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
New Independent Front Suspension Vegas 27.7, Real news or Hype?

All,

The wife and I are looking at getting a larger RV and are trying to locate the Vegas/Axis 27.7 in NC (hard to find). On one of the internet RV Sale Sites I found the following declaration:
Thor Motor Coach has done it again with the world's first RUV! (Recreational Utility Vehicle) Check out the New 2018 Thor Motor Coach Vegas RUV Model 27.7 with 2 slide-out rooms. The Vegas combines Style, Function, Affordability & Innovation like no other RV available in the industry today! It is powered by a Ford Triton V-10 engine and is approximately 28 feet 6 inches in length. Taking superior drivability even one step further, the Vegas will also feature something normally only found in a high-end luxury diesel pusher motor coach... an Independent Front Suspension system!
It is the last sentence that has me puzzled...exactly what is an Independent Front Suspension system? Is it really new for 2018, if so what do I have in my 2016 Vegas 24.1?
As I have said before on this Forum (quoting from the 1960's Star Trek): "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a mechanic."

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Looks like marketing hype to me since all Axis/Vegas units are built on the same E450 chassis (at least for 2018) so they all have independent front suspension using coil springs and A-frame control arms. That's as opposed to MHs built on the F53 chassis which has the typical Ford front I-beam suspension on leaf springs
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I agree simple marketing speak: All the E-Series has the same front end.

I can't see Thor redesigning that (and if they did would you want it??).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Looks like marketing hype to me since all Axis/Vegas units are built on the same E450 chassis (at least for 2018) so they all have independent front suspension using coil springs and A-frame control arms. That's as opposed to MHs built on the F53 chassis which has the typical Ford front I-beam suspension on leaf springs
The E-Series uses what is technically an independent front suspension, but it’s not based on “A-frame” control arms like seen on some cars and some diesel pushers.

The E-Series uses what Ford calls Twin I-Beam. In design it’s closer to a solid I-Beam, but split in two sections so each wheel can move up and down independent of each other.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

THOR #2142
Okay, but is it (whatever it is) new for 2018? I saw the same quote on some 2019 Vegas models on that website...so maybe it is newer-ish for 2019?
Anyone of you have a contact at Thor that might shed some light? The individual I have contacted in the past is either gone or ignoring me.

Doc

Old 04-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Okay, but is it (whatever it is) new for 2018? I saw the same quote on some 2019 Vegas models on that website...so maybe it is newer-ish for 2019?
Anyone of you have a contact at Thor that might shed some light? The individual I have contacted in the past is either gone or ignoring me.

Doc
No it isn't new at all: Ford hasn't changed the design of the E-Series chassis in forever and they aren't likely to change now (they are pushing everyone to move to the Transit chassis so they can discontinue the E-Series chassis).
Old 04-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #7

THOR #2142
Jamie,
Thanks for the clarification.
In my business one of the major denture adhesive cream companies announced their product as being improved . The improvement was to make the opening on the tube of adhesive "D" shaped instead of "O" shape, that way a larger surface area of the cream could come into contact with the denture during application.
Looks like I have a 260 mile trip to LaGrange NC to see the only known 27.7 in NC. The front end will be one less layer of BS to work thru.

Doc

Old 04-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Jamie,
Thanks for the clarification.
In my business one of the major denture adhesive cream companies announced their product as being improved . The improvement was to make the opening on the tube of adhesive "D" shaped instead of "O" shape, that way a larger surface area of the cream could come into contact with the denture during application.
Looks like I have a 260 mile trip to LaGrange NC to see the only known 27.7 in NC. The front end will be one less layer of BS to work thru.

Doc
Let us know what you think of the "giant economy size VEGAS"
Old 04-28-2018, 10:52 PM   #9

THOR #2142
Mo Mike,

Will do, with pictures too.
I really don't want to change brands as I feel that over the past 3 years I have learned a lot about the "Bugs" in the Vegas line-up. With the slide out bed and room to move around the bed I do believe that most of the DW's complaints (my midnight trips to the bathroom come to mind) will be addressed.

Doc

Old 04-28-2018, 10:57 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
We saw a 27.7 at our last local RV show. Looked like a really nice unit. Don't think I took any pics, though.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
No it isn't new at all: Ford hasn't changed the design of the E-Series chassis in forever and they aren't likely to change now (they are pushing everyone to move to the Transit chassis so they can discontinue the E-Series chassis).
Correct. Besides, any E-Series on lots today are 2018 Ford Model Year, and specifications clearly show the same front suspension. 2019 chassis specs haven’t reached internet yet as far as I know.

Also, Ford continues to use similar Twin-I-Beam front suspension on newest Super Duty pickups, so it’s doubtful they would abandon it on the old E-Series chassis.

Regarding Transit replacing E-Series, Ford did announce recently that they were extending E-Series production into 2020’s as both Cutaway and stripped chassis. The Transit doesn’t seem the success Ford expected in the RV segment, where E-Series remains the top chassis overall.

If there was going to be a significant upgrade, I’d expect it for 2020 Ford model year when V8 is suppose to replace V10.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Independent Front Suspension, my guess is that Thor has a new PR team who noticed something which previous team(s) missed. So, not a new feature, just new promo fodder.

Now, if they would just figure out what a big part of their Vegas/Axis market consists of more "seasoned" folks, and not just young families! (No offense meant toward them.)
Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Mo Mike,

Will do, with pictures too.
I really don't want to change brands as I feel that over the past 3 years I have learned a lot about the "Bugs" in the Vegas line-up. With the slide out bed and room to move around the bed I do believe that most of the DW's complaints (my midnight trips to the bathroom come to mind) will be addressed.

Doc
That ability to move around the bed was why we picked the 25.2...

That, and the solid doors to the bedroom and bathroom makes it seem like more room.. And yes, ability to do "stealth" bathroom runs is a definite necessity.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:12 AM   #14

THOR #2142
Mr. Sunshine,
I agree 100%. The Vegas could be a great starter for a young family with 1 or 2 kids and work as a great intro into RV'ing for a couple of years. BUT, for us "seasoned" folks if Thor would just make a few modifications (get rid of the drop down bed and a bigger shower) Thor would be providing us with an RV "for the duration"!!

Mo Mike, the DW would greatly appreciate "Stealth" bathroom runs, me...as long as I have a soft rock and a pillow I can sleep thru anything. Got to love Military Training "Take 15, expect 10, get 5" and learn to sleep where ever and when ever.

Doc

Old 04-29-2018, 01:47 AM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
That ability to move around the bed was why we picked the 25.2...

That, and the solid doors to the bedroom and bathroom makes it seem like more room.. And yes, ability to do "stealth" bathroom runs is a definite necessity.

Not only does the 25.2 have the walk around bed, but the shower is more spacious than in many larger Class As.

I personally like the overhead bunk, and would hate to see it eliminated — other than maybe as a delete option. I do recall that in early Axis/Vegas marketing, Thor mentioned the overhead bed as a significant design feature that improved function similar to Class Cs. If anything, I’d like to see Axis overhead bed made larger to fit two adults, much like size of other Class As.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:53 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Sorry, DocMike. I must respectfully disagree. Most of the time the drop down bed is excess baggage, but it is handy for the occasional grandkid. You pointed out two of the reasons we like the 25.2, the walk around bed and the bigger shower.

We replaced the oval table with a rectangular wood top and keep it in the more forward slot in front of the jackknife sofa. We leave the longer table at home. This gives us more usable space in the living room area.

Different strokes for different folks. We found we didn't need all the space in our previous 33' Class A. Our 25.2 fits us just fine, with . We have friends who ditched their Vegas for a Class A around that 33' size. Your results will vary.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:40 AM   #17

THOR #2142
Mr. Sunshine, I understand...but to be able to opt out of the drop down would be a great "addition". There are very few options available in the Vegas line and for those with no need (or grandchildren) to utilize the drop down the extra headroom and storage would go a long way. With that said, having the drop down is not a deal breaker as the 27.7 floor plan looks very inviting.

Doc

Old 04-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #18

THOR #2121
The primary bed in the 27.7 appears useless unless the bedroom slide can be opened. For those who may want to occassionally boondock where slides can’t be extended, the extra overhead bed may come in handy. Without it I guess you can always crash on sofa and dinette.

Late at night I see a lot of motorhomes boondocking parked between semis in rest areas, and a wide side bedroom slide is something I wouldn’t extend under those conditions. In fairness, I wouldn’t extend a rear slide either if parked in a rest area.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #19

THOR #2142
Chance,
That is one more thing to check out when I get to see a 27.7 for real.

Doc

Old 04-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #20
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I do like that the 27.7 floor plan "living room" seats 9 with the drivers & pass. seats rotated. Just in case the party moves inside. Others have limited seating upfront. I do prefer the extra tailgate seating upfront. I always loved my last rig, Minnie Winnie (special order) bed in back was Horseshoe Dinette that turned into a bed.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote