Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Took my Axis to a Goodyear Commercial tire center and it took about 20-30 minutes, cost about $120.
Goodyear Commercial Tire & Service Centers | Service Excellence – Always

(Can't imagine the F-53 costing that much more than the E-Series.)

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Virginia
THOR #6664
Mine was a Goodyear Commercial Truck Center on the F-53 chassis. Took about 45 minutes.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:45 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I picked up my new 26B on the E450 chassis today and I think it drives just fine. Granted it's different than my truck or the car, but I don't feel like it needs to get an alignment any time soon, if ever.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 AM   #24

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Two Axle Alignment

SoCal price - $472 for two axle alignment, weigh analysis for correct tire pressure, add casters, etc... $202 to install Saf-T-Plus. I'm told that I am paying for our good weather? Lived here my entire life and I don't think I will be able to afford really old age....
Old 03-29-2017, 02:23 AM   #25

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
A front end alignment check is a very good idea but if I had a chassis that had been cut and lengthened I might consider springing for a 4 wheel check. Since the rear axle cannot be corrected it would be nice to know that who ever cut and rewelded my chassis did it correctly while I could still do something about it with the factory.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
I picked up my new 26B on the E450 chassis today and I think it drives just fine. Granted it's different than my truck or the car, but I don't feel like it needs to get an alignment any time soon, if ever.
I recently bought a Freedom Elite 26HE which seems to be identical. I think mine drives just fine as well but I'm persuaded to get the alignment checked anyway. Appointment next week for weight and alignment. I'll be interested to see if it's "off" and/or drives differently afterward. The guy at the truck center doing the work advised against a steering stabilizer. We'll see....
Old 04-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #27

THOR #6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I recently bought a Freedom Elite 26HE which seems to be identical. I think mine drives just fine as well but I'm persuaded to get the alignment checked anyway. Appointment next week for weight and alignment. I'll be interested to see if it's "off" and/or drives differently afterward. The guy at the truck center doing the work advised against a steering stabilizer. We'll see....
I will be interested to hear what they have to say. My real test will be in a few days once I'm loaded and head out on my first trip. It's about 1000 miles round trip.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 AM   #28

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #6917
I just received my Safe-T-Plus today. Will install tomorrow and align next week.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #29

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I had my new 2017 Freedom Elite 26HE (700miles) weighed and the alignment checked today at a local truck center. The alignment was spot on as delivered so no changes were made - which explains why I have been pretty happy with the driving experience. Full fuel tank and empty water tanks but otherwise loaded for camping weight was 12200 lbs leaving us more than 2000 lbs of additional capacity. Glad to know these things! Next up is to figure out how to carry a spare tire and probably add a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. I think I'm convinced by all the positive posts.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 AM   #30

THOR #6414
I just returned from my 1000+ mile trip. I understand why so many are frightened at first. Until the tires got broke in with a few hundred miles it was really flighty to drive but I've found that to be consistent with past big trucks with duels. Being on a 350 chassis instead of the 450 chassis probably caused a little more body roll than I had expected which will leave you chasing it a bit but that was even better as the tires and suspension all settled in. Having owned 2 truck campers I will likely go with air bags and duel gauges and onboard air to adjust on the fly on windy days like this weekend (and i do mean windy). Our next trip in a few weeks will take us cross country and back for more than 5000 miles.. I'm really pleased with the floorplan as it is not too big and not too small... Hope to get it scaled next time out but should be consistent with your weight.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #31

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
I had the front end aligned on my new 2017 Axis 25.2 and the tech said it was so far out that he didn't know how I stayed on the road, it made a world of difference in the way the coach handles.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:18 AM   #32

Model: Outlaw 38 RE
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3657
Yes take your new rv to a truck tire alignment shop and get it aligned and check your tire pressure as they will probably be over pressure / inflated.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #33

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I have a 22k hurricane, the truck shop said it would be $130 for an alignment, unless it has some bushings that need to be replaced. He could not tell me if that would be the case until he sees the chassis. Has anyone ran into this need, or is it not applicable for our setup?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #34

State: Illinois
THOR #10120
Alignment and upgrades - Rig is perfect

Thor Axis 25.5 2017 was all over the road when purchased. I was coming from a 37 foot diesel pusher. I had the front end aligned and it helped a ton but I still wasnt happy. I installed a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and Sumosprings on the front of the rig. Huge improvement, but to go a step further I had the back axle aligned and the front with a 5 degree caster. Wow, the rig drives like a sports car. Total aligment costs including parts to nail it 100% $700.00. Sumosprings $150 self installed. Steering stabilizer $235 self installed. I would highly recommend these improvements.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #35

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Got a question. I have seen several posts talking about taking their brand new coach in for an alignment. Am I to understand after purchase you need to go to a truck shop and get a front end alignment? If so why? Who pays for it? Seems like it should be straight before you get it in the first place. I am picking up a 2017 Thor Synergy on a Mercedes chassy next month and want to know what to do and who pays.

Thanks
When a RV manufacturer gets a chassis in it is probably aligned. Then all the build weight is added and that in itself could throw an alignment off. Then a new owner adds fluids and another 1,000 to 3,000 pounds of gear, food, and personal items and most RV will need an alignment to be spot on.

It has been our experience that RV manufacturers will not pay for an alignment, but we have only purchased one RV new that wasn't a towable.

I had our Challenger 37GT aligned for less than $150 at a big truck frame/body shop. I recently took our new DP to the same shop and they estimated my front end alignment would run around $160. When all was said and done the alignment was spot on and the only thing they had to do was adjust the wheel so it was straight. They did two test drives and worked on it for 45 minutes and the cost was $60.00.

The key is to find a shop that can work on big equipment and knows what they are doing. I would never go to an RV dealer to get an alignment. My very large RV dealer gave me an estimate of $300.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #36
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
In Northwest Indiana on interstate 94 this is a reputable Tire company they aligned mine for $125 on some giant electronic computerized Gizmo rack and I would say it took them a half hour.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180301_083633.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	9206
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #37

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I see a lot of folks who just add a steering stabilizer to their RV. It seems like the first thing you want to do is a good alignment. For the Ford E350/E450 chassis you can get camber/caster sleeves that permit more alignment range. I've read that increasing caster to at least 5 degrees really helps a lot. I have the sleeves and plan to get a custom alignment done soon. After that I may add a steering stabilizer and bigger swaybars.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #38

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
In Northwest Indiana on interstate 94 this is a reputable Tire company they aligned mine for $125 on some giant electronic computerized Gizmo rack and I would say it took them a half hour.Attachment 9206
Rev,
You are lucky. I am not the only 24.1 owner that also needed casters installed after checking the alignment. It could not have possibly been done in a half hour.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #39
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Rev,
You are lucky. I am not the only 24.1 owner that also needed casters installed after checking the alignment. It could not have possibly been done in a half hour.
The other thing I'll repeat here that's important to me was the alignment also fixed the fact that on my steering wheel the Ford logo was tilted @ about 2 o'clock and they straighten that situation out and for me that was worth it right there having a straight steering wheel.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #40

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
When you take delivery, it will have been driven, in my case on the West coast, a couple of thousand miles, so I looked very closely at the front tires for any abnormal wear, pre-delivery. Seeing none, again in my case, after driving it, it showed no signs of an alignment problem. The Mercedes chassis likes to go in a straight line, on level highways, mine will track a mile or so, hands off. I will tell you, after a year, I continue to be more and more impressed with that Sprinter chassis. IMO it is one great driving vehicle.