Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arkansas
THOR #14009
New RV owner need help!

Id just purchased a 1998 hurricane, I'm new to the RV world and want to be an expert but I don't have an owners manual. I need to do a tune up and replace the tires. I also need to know how to stabilize it... I can't find where to crank it to balance it. Please help!!!

Old 12-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First: Welcome to the Forum!
I can't help much with your questions... But the folks who can, are on their way!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Do a seach on line for owner manual for your make and model. Many of the RV manual are very generic so any from like 97 - 2000 might be fine.

Look at your leveler for some sort of model # and look that up on line. I bet the manufacture has info on your exact model. Or you might find someone on youtube with a simular system.

You mentioned "Crank"?? Are you sure its not hydraulic? Might have a lever or a button to activate.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

THOR #14009
You mentioned "Crank"?? Are you sure its not hydraulic? Might have a lever or a button to activate.[/QUOTE]

If there's a button I can't find if. I mean to balance the rv when it's parked.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Can you take a picture of it and post it here?

Most of the ones I have seen are buttons (Several buttons with like "auto level, manual, Left Front, Right front" Etc. And I have seen Levers for up, down, front, back, left - right etc.

But your system is older.

Also search on line for model simular to yours.

Do you see any brand names or model # on the control pad? What about on the jacks themselves?

Or do you just have "stablizer jacks" that you crank out by hand??

Do a search on this and see if thats what your look like. I suspect thats what your talking about.

The "Stablizer jacks" dont "lift" or level the RV. They just reduce the rocking motion when walking around inside. Most are only rated at like 2000# so they are not meant to "lift" any one side. If you do they will break.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you're looking for a control panel for the levelers:
check inside each exterior storage compartment...
(Assuming that it's not outside...)
Now you need to look around inside your rig:
Check the wall panels along your steps leading into the rig. You'll probably see your porch light, awning controls, step controls, Use/Store switch. (If so equipped.)
If it's not there: it would have to be on an interior wall panel: most likely right in the middle of the living space.
Assuming that it's even there: you probably don't have an automatic leveling system.
Now you're down to finding whatever the next option was, for that year RV...
If you have stabilizers: the controls for them would probably be at a rear corner of your rig...
Happy hunting,m and good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:45 AM   #7

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Hmmmm.
1st need to know if it is on a Ford or a GM chassis..
Your coach was produced with either a hydraulic jack system or.... many were not equipped with any leveling system.
Look underneath the coach near the front and rear axe(s) to see if you have the jacks...If you do then the controls "should" be on the floor near the driver's seat, on or just below the left side of the dash, or on the left seat arm rest area ..
If you do not find any jacks under the coach then you are relegated to using the "leggo blocks" to drive up on to attain level..

ALSO!

I would strongly suggest a "full meal deal" on replacing all the shocks when you replace the tires....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I did a Google on this year/model last night and several videos came up on YouTube. There are a couple of them for sale here and there. Maybe do this and call the dealer that has them. They would probably be glad to help you as someone had to "check it out" when they took it on trade. One guy said it had hydraulic jacks but he didn't address the location of the controls. The chassis was a Triton V-10.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote