Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athennesy65 View Post
Team: Do you mind if I call you the Team? Maybe better is fellow RV'ers: Such great suggestions, these are my other considerations; Wheelbase Difference 188" vs 194", Length 25'6" vs 26" 6' general upgrades between 2015-2016 ie noise levels E350 vs E450. Do any of these really make a difference?
I'm pretty sure the reason the 25.2 floorplan has the longer 194-inch wheelbase compared to others at 188 is because it has more mass at the very back due to the rear slide. Because of that I would not assume a better ride due to the longer wheelbase. We often compare parameters like wheelbase as if everything else is equal, but in this case it is not. Having said that 6 inches in WB difference isn't much. Nor is an extra foot in length. When you compare 20-ft to over 30-ft in total length, or 138-inch wheelbase to over 200 inches, then that makes a big difference. At least it has to me, which is why I'm looking for a smaller motorhome.

The only other suggestion I'll make is that you also compare motorhomes you are interested in with the slides in and out. Some slides can block access to things inside when retracted, or they may make the motorhome feel cramped. I personally don't like how motorhomes look or feel when slides are in, so given a choice I'd probably take a slide in the bedroom where I don't have to see it as much during the day. But that may have disadvantages also (like having to open slide to sleep when you'd prefer not to), so think through how you will use the MH. Renting before buying will help in that area if you have limited experience.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #3581
Thanks Chance! With each post I gain a little more insight. As for limited experience, I would say as close to none as zero can be, unless, you count camping in a friends Travel Trailer. The resy is Tent camping in the 60's and 70's. Thanksagain.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #43

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Windshield

Check windshield for small stress crack at bottom of windsshield
Old 03-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #44

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Before you give the dealer a dime, be a real dickhead about pre-sale adjustments and repair. I guarantee, they will be much less inclined to correct problems for you after they get your money. Check over everything. Road test the unit for highway, small road, parking lot handling. If it does not feel right, insist on repair BEFORE you hand over the cash. I know, from personal experience, that getting the coach, and driving it home makes you overlook some issues that should be addressed BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. Waiting a week to take delivery, while adjustments are being made before purchase is well worth it. They are more willing to make these repairs knowing they have a deposit and a ready buyer on the hook. The salesman will promise anything to make the sale. Be strong and be prepared to walk away from the deal if they are not willing to fix problems BEFORE purchase. And there will be things wrong on a motorhome right from the factory....for sure. I was told by a service manager at a CW that a new Thor Tuscanny had over 100 warranty items from the factory that needed repair. These issues were discovered by service techs upon delivery. CW was told by Thor to sell the unit and let the customer find the problems and have them at that time bring it back for warranty work. Is that any way to treat customers? Make sure you are not a victim in this process. When checking out a new coach, be a real pain in the ass. Be a stickler. Who cares if they think you are a pain. You wont see these people again for a long time, anyway. Its your money.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #45

THOR #3581
Sounds like "sage" advice, I will take it to heart. You are right if it's the right purchase I won't be making another for quite a while. And even then if I have the money they forget what a pain I was.
Thanks
Old 03-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #46

THOR #3471
Test

Take it up to 65 on interstate and let a semi pass and see how it handles. Get a free alignment too.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:00 PM   #47

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Also look for uneven/unlevel pavement and a pothole or two (small ones) to see how much movement you get in the steering wheel when you hit the pothole and respond.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #48

THOR #3581
Hugh:
How long have you had the 25.2? Was it your first?
Just curious, so far it's my preference.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #49

Model: Quantum KW29
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athennesy65 View Post
I have done some research locally on the Dealer https://mbthomasrvsales.com/, MB Thomas RV in Saint Louis. Anyone have any first hand experience? It certainly pays to investigate, it helped me eliminate at least three dealers.
Curious. Did you eliminate a Thor dealer in Eureka? Where have you gotten feedback on the other local dealers that raised concerns?

Thanks

Mike
Old 03-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #50

THOR #3471
Test

I got mine in Aug last year and I love it
Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #51

THOR #3581
BBB, Customer (Co-Worker) and RV Service Reviews
Old 03-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #52

THOR #3581
MikeL:
BBB, Customer (Co-Worker) and RV Service Reviews
Old 03-31-2016, 02:25 AM   #53

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Curious. Did you eliminate a Thor dealer in Eureka? Where have you gotten feedback on the other local dealers that raised concerns?

Thanks

Mike

Can't speak for others but the Eureka dealer was $17,000 more on almost identical unit. Only difference is Four Winds vs. Chateau. When I told them about the difference in cost I was basically called a liar but figures don't lie. I don't even go there for parts and supplies now.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 AM   #54

Model: Quantum KW29
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3911
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
Can't speak for others but the Eureka dealer was $17,000 more on almost identical unit. Only difference is Four Winds vs. Chateau. When I told them about the difference in cost I was basically called a liar but figures don't lie. I don't even go there for parts and supplies now.
They were about $15k to $20k higher on what we were looking at as well. We did not get in to heavy negotiations. Still waiting for the right deal at the right time.

Mike
Old 03-31-2016, 05:45 AM   #55

THOR #3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
They were about $15k to $20k higher on what we were looking at as well. We did not get in to heavy negotiations. Still waiting for the right deal at the right time.

Mike
Same here, when I first started looking a year ago. So far the St. Louis Dealer om Lemay Ferry is looking real good on all points, price dealership and warranty work. But still looking...

Tags
saint louis area