Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Mo Mike,
I bought a blue-ray player that has wifi and stream netflix when we have cell service. I use a T-Mobile hot spot with 6 gb/month for about $35 that supplies email, etc. T-Moble has a deal with Netflix and a few others that as long as we have the function turned on it does not draw down on our data. Unused data carries over to the following month but drops off after 12 months. We took a trip to Colorado in July and it worked great most places. If you have Dish or Direct at home, you can use that too.

brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #22

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
we started by using the antenna only, until we found that it's difficult in some areas.
we used a chrome for a while, but as others have said, your wifi must be fast enough to make it work effectively, and it can be expensive if using your cellular hotspot.
we use campround/rv park cable tv when available, but

a DISH openface tripod mount and a King Tailgater2 portable on the roof are what we now use almost exclusively. The openface for all three satellites for 3 or more tvs when parked, and the portable for 2 or more tvs when traveling.
I use the term '3 or more' since the open face 3LNB tripod unit will provide any channels from any of the three satellites to any 3 tvs. but, we also have run a line splitter from the living room receiver to both bunk tvs. they can both watch whatever channel is showing in the living room.

I like satellite because you get all the same channels and shows you enjoy no matter where you are, with the only variables as the local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX affiliates local programming before primetime.
Of course, this all is in assumption that you can see each of the 3 satellites, though sometimes you may not due to trees, buildings, etc. We find, though, that sat 110 tends to have most all of the SD(standard definition) channels selections if you can't reach sats 119 or 129, where 129 seems to be were most of the HD(HighDefinition) channel versions are.

$113 monthly for 250+ channels, locals, and for 3 VIP211k receivers...
The original dish and receivers were installed by a local dish independent, for free if I remember, while I purchased the tailgater portable online and mounted on the roof.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 AM   #23

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

$113 monthly for 250+ channels, locals, and for 3 VIP211k receivers...
The original dish and receivers were installed by a local dish independent, for free if I remember, while I purchased the tailgater portable online and mounted on the roof.
Dish Network used to have a plan that let you turn on or off your service pretty much at will. In other words it only had to be active when your wanted to use it. Is that still available?

Ken
Old 08-10-2016, 02:30 AM   #24
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Dish Network used to have a plan that let you turn on or off your service pretty much at will. In other words it only had to be active when your wanted to use it. Is that still available?

Ken
Yes it is I have it. It's called dish on the go. I pay 20.00 a month for basic service only when I need it. When you move to a new location you have to contact them so you get local programming.

Kev
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 AM   #25

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #1901
I purchased Winegard Pathway X1 as a package deal from Amazon that included VIP211Z. The Vip211Z provides 12 volt power directly to the Antenna so there is no trying to set up a 12 volt power source for the more expensive Antennas. Purchased Tripod from amazon and have used this setup in Oregon, Washington and California with no problems. Not to offend anyone but I have 3 TVs and 8 people eating and drinking in the coach can make a real mess. The exterior TV can be seen by many more that 8 people and then hosed down the next day.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:43 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Mo Mike,
I bought a blue-ray player that has wifi and stream netflix when we have cell service. I use a T-Mobile hot spot with 6 gb/month for about $35 that supplies email, etc. T-Moble has a deal with Netflix and a few others that as long as we have the function turned on it does not draw down on our data. Unused data carries over to the following month but drops off after 12 months. We took a trip to Colorado in July and it worked great most places. If you have Dish or Direct at home, you can use that too.
How is your signal strength on T-Mobile outside the metro areas?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:31 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
How is your signal strength on T-Mobile outside the metro areas?
So far it has been better than I expected. T-Mobile seems to have good lte coverage in the major travel corridors. The only time we didn't have coverage is at Convict Lake a few miles from Mammoth Lakes. Good coverage on I15 through California and Utah and along I70 in Utah and Colorado. That said, it isn't as good as my Verizon but for $35 a month for 6gbs of data and free streaming with Netflix and a few others, I can't complain. We don't travel every months so I have about 18gb saved up for future trips.

Here is a link to the coverage map, you need LTE for streaming.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage-map.html
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote