Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
NEW SEIKI HEADACHE @ 15 months

Okay, one more Headache with the Seiki TV...NO SOUND!!

Yes, I checked the mute button, reworked every option on the Menu and Source buttons. Tried TV and Cable too. There is just no sound a great looking and beautiful picture...but no sound.

I have run HDMI cable from my Computer and Blue Ray out to the TV (different wires and setup into the TV)...no sound that way either.

Has anyone else just had their outside TV go mute?

There is no moisture within the outside cabinet (some dust). I doubt I can blame muddobbers. Could it be the heat???

I hate to ask if anyone knows the length of the warranty on a Seiki TV, mine will be 15 months old as of 31August16.

If I have to replace it what have others replaced the outside TV with? I want to go with a smart TV and better sound (no really, granted anything is better than mute but I want better volumn - maybe a small built-in sound bar).

Please feel free to make suggestins as input is needed

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:41 AM   #2
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Okay, one more Headache with the Seiki TV...NO SOUND!!

Please feel free to make suggestins as input is needed
We have had good luck with Vizio when replacing a tv in rv.
A decent tv at a reasonable price.
We bought a Vizio soundbar that will run you out !!!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:46 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Doc,

Sometimes remotes go bad or some of the functions on the remote. Have you tried the volume control on the other Seiki remote just to eliminate that possibility? Other than that, I don't know what else it could be other than the tv has become defective as you have suspected.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:51 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
I think if my outside tv "died" (or lost its voice) that I would move the one from the living area to the outside and get a smart tv for the living area.

I was wondering about the effects that the elements could have on a tv out there..

Have you tried to plug something into the audio out to see if you had any volume that way?
Old 08-23-2016, 01:56 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
It is probably a toss up wth brands. I would strongly suggest going to Best Buy or something similar and look at them all, then buy online if you wish, but be sure you've seen that model in action, Our last rv came with a Samsung. I thought, " Great, a name brand". The power supply (internal) totally crapped out less than a month after the warrenty expired. We then ordered a Vizio from Amazon. The picture quality, of that particular one at least, was terrible. So we went to Costco and found a LG that looked and worked great until we sold the RV several years later.

The only point of all this rambling is if you want to save yourself trouble, see it before you buy it.

Ken
Old 08-23-2016, 02:05 AM   #6

THOR #2142
Yep, I tried all three remotes.

I figured I'd move the one above the door to outside...appears to be where TV's go to die shortly after the manufactures warranty expires.

I'll go to a BIg Box store and pick out the one I want, then order thru Amazon unless they have a steal of a deal. I was thinking of a small sound bar to boost the system.

Doc

Old 08-23-2016, 02:10 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Personally I would stay away from a smart TV. You really don't get your $$ worth out of it. If you want the smart features pick up a Roku or some other internet box you'll be paying less for "Normal TV" + Roku vs "Smart TV". In addition, it is far less expensive to upgrade the Roku in the future than to replace the TV when its time to update/upgrade.

Especially since you already got a lot of that stuff as it is.

We've had really good luck with Vizio TVs as well...except: We have a Vizio Smart TV--rarely use the Smart TV features, use our Apple TV instead.

Just my $0.02.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Make sure the new tv has qam tuning. I pulled the one out over the door and replaced it with an LG as the Seki I had did not pick up quam channels. Ran into that in a couple of campgrounds as other on the forum have. I think most tv's come with quam tuners now.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

THOR #2142
mcr,

Thanks for the reminder, QAM will be a requirement!

Doc

Old 08-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Seiki TV

Quote:

I figured I'd move the one above the door to outside...appears to be where TV's go to die shortly after the manufactures warranty expires.

I'll go to a BIg Box store and pick out the one I want, then order thru Amazon unless they have a steal of a deal. I was thinking of a small sound bar to boost the system.

Doc
Doc
I replaced mine with a smart tv only because it was a few dollars more and we use it when WiFi is available. I would suggest the sound bar as I have a LG sound bar and the tv sounds so much better. In addition most soundbars have bluetooth and I play music through the soundbar.

Kev
Old 08-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Doc
I replaced mine with a smart tv only because it was a few dollars more and we use it when WiFi is available. I would suggest the sound bar as I have a LG sound bar and the tv sounds so much better. In addition most soundbars have bluetooth and I play music through the soundbar.

Kev

Agree with you Kev...soundbar is a good addition..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #12

THOR #2142
I agree on the sound bar. Anyone find a good articulated/tilt mounting bracket that fits in the limited space available (either inside over the door or outside in the TV storage area)?

Doc

Old 08-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
There will probably come a time when we will not be able to purchase a non-Smart TV but for now, a regular LED TV with an Amazon Firestick is my preferred choice. There are weatherproof TV's out there (SkyVue) but they are pricey. I plan to purchase a weather resistant cover (Amazon) for my outside TV for added protection.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #14

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Doc,
With your computer setup you shouldn't need a Smart TV. The other issue is 720p vs. 1080p. IMHO, 720p is more than enough for a 32" unit. I have found them at Best Buy and Amazon for $170 with the QAM tuner. (Even Seiki has one with a QAM tuner for that amount).
Old 08-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
You may also want to consider power requirements. The last Samsung 32-inch I bought for house uses very little power -- like 30 watts on average. That may come in handy if running off batteries through small inverter. It's also light at under 10 pounds. I'm not sure how it would work in RV environment, but for home use it has great picture for the cost.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #16

THOR #2142
gbrown,

With the computer you are correct about the smart TV.

What I was thinking was to shuffle the TV's around and move the bedroom one outside and the new one into the bedroom as the Computer is not run to there (using Chromecast has not been as easy as the DW would like it).

I do have a little "Coffee Cup" sized inverter that could be set up in the bedroom...so power consumption needs to be looked into. Or even a smaller 12V TV.

Doc

Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:

Doc
Just for grins, let me know what size tv you replace the one above the door with...Not that I would THINK about replacing mine with a larger one
Old 08-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #18

THOR #2142
Mo_Mike,

Just got a call, the TV may be covered under my extended warranty. I have to go to the dealership to start the paperwork. So, I may have little input on the replacement.

Doc

Old 08-24-2016, 02:46 AM   #19

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Before you trash that crappy Seiki, check that the language didn't get switched to something other than English. That will mute the sound.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:12 AM   #20
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sunshine View Post
before you trash that crappy seiki, check that the language didn't get switched to something other than english. That will mute the sound.
good point !
Jeep Wrangler TJ