Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #643
The new thor axis

Has anyone driven one or at least sit in one?

What are you opinions?

I like the looks, the floot plan, and it seems a really a great value at $75,000 after discounts.

Anyone?

Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #756
We picked up our new Axis last week and drove home about 1200 miles. We really like the coach, but we had some issues with quality, etc. We will see how Thor handles them.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #996
We picked up our Axis 3 weeks ago, had an inspection done pre delivery, many issues before it left the lot. We pre purchased it online and paid before delivery, so dealer wasn't too eager to cater to us and basically said it's ours and now we have to deal with warranty repairs.
However we really like the coach. Also many new issues but we aren't letting it ruin our 3 week trip. So far we've logged 2,000 miles. Just like Axis Owner we will see how Thor handles everything.
This is our third motorhome. First was a Monaco DP, then a Winnebago ERA, now the Axis.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #4

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Virginia
THOR #950
The Axis/Vegas seem to be very popular, are priced right and look sharp. Thor was smart to bring out the Axis/Vegas and the ACE lines for people that want a class A at an affordable price. They both seem to be selling well.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Looking at Axis/Vegas

I have an Airstream Interstate 3500 and am looking to trade it for the new Vegas/Axis.

I have a couple of questions.

What is...

the difference in the two;
brand and model of charger/inverter;
brand and group of house batteries (one or two?);
brand and size of air conditioner and heating unit; and

brand of cabin exhaust fans?

Are rear tires single or dual?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #6

THOR #1067
Vegas or Axis

A Camping World salesman told me the only difference between the two is the paint color on the outside. They have two different names so that 2 dealers in the same city can sell one or the other and won't appear to be competing with the same product. You can't make this stuff up. He told me that.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #1081
axis

We are first time RV owners...picked up our 2015 Axis 3 weeks ago. We have logged 1000 miles with another 1000 to go in the next 2 weeks. So far love it. Very easy to drive...getting 10mph but just discovered my tires are under inflated. N Rookie mistake! . No toad.

The warranty issues so far are all cosmetic....the shower wall has separated from the structural wall as the glue did not hold. The flip up counter top separated from the support bracket. The shitty little wood screws pulled out of the particle board. Lastly one drawer in bedroom will not latch.
We bought two memory foam mattress toppers from Costco to upgrade the bed...relatively cheap fix.
We negotiated two fantastic fans as an upgrade from the stock fans. They really are fantastic and have not used the AC in 80 degree weather.
I have no comparison as a first timer but so far we love it.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:17 AM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #1081
Axis/Vegas diff

Yes...the only differenceis the headlights.....Axis are horizontal and Vegas are vertical. My dealer told me the same thing...they hHV the Axis and Camping World just up the interstate has the Vegas
Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #9

THOR #1075
Are the house batteries easy to access, can you change them easily? Anyone have issues with not having an inverter, just a charger? Can you plug the unit into 110, 20 amp when you get home and leave it on 24/7 without overcharging the batteries? Are the batteries protected from the cold weather enough not to be damaged in zero weather?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
You will have to look at the battery charger in your rig, usually an integrated part of the DC distribution panel. Older/simpler systems may not trickle charge the batteries, but newer and better systems should. I would be surprised if a new rig would not have trickle charge capability.

The basic idea of a trickle charge is to maintain the batteries at full charge without overcharging or damaging them. This sometimes is easier said than done - especially if your charger is not up to task.

So yes, if your rig's battery charger has a trickle function, you can usually leave it on 24/7. When you trickle charge them long-term, you need to keep an eye out for water levels in the batteries - just like you would any other time of year.

But you can always buy an aftermarket trickle charger if you are not sure or worried. They only cost a few dollars so they are not expensive at all. It's best though if you are using an aftermarket charger to disconnect the house batteries from the RV if you are using the trickle charger long-term (storage, etc).

If you are using the built in charger, you obviously do not want to disconnect the house batteries.

As long as you maintain a trickle charge on the batteries, they will not be damaged in zero weather. I left my moho outside last year in sub-zero winter temps in Michigan with no issues as long as the batteries maintained a charge (I trickle charge them over the winter).

Batteries can actually be pretty resilient. When I had a boat, we had it first in an un-heated storage building, then later in a heated (40deg) storage building. Two batteries were in the boat, and there was no provision to charge them over the winter.

The boat typically was put in storage the first of Oct, until the first of May of each year - 7 months out of the year without a charge.

After 12 years of doing this, the batteries always came up in the spring after a couple hours on the charger, but we always replaced the batteries every 4~5 boating seasons anyway due to safety issues (you don't want to be out on the Great Lakes with bad batteries).

These were standard lead acid marine/RV grade "combo" batteries. The combo batteries have very low internal resistance so they can be used for both deep-cycle and engine starting use.

Of course, you could go to AGM which have the distinction of maintaining their charge for a year (will last up to 10yrs) and can be stored without maintaining a trickle charge in the winter. However, you can damage AGM batteries by improper charging them (especially on trickle charge), which means you may have to swap out your rig's battery charger if it is not compatible with AGM.

I just could never justify paying double for AGM batteries for my boat, as well as buying a $800 charger that would work with AGM (my charger worked with lead-acid only).
Old 09-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #11

THOR #1075
My assumption is the house batteries in the Axis/Vegas are lead acid batteries and not AGM. Is the charger in the Axis/Vegas quality enough (a smart charger) to know when the batteries are charged? I have AGM in my Interstate and I like them. My question was focused on the new Vegas and whether the charger would work for my purposes. I am considering selling my Airstream Interstate 3500 and buying a Vegas. I now have grandkids and my wife wants to take them with us. We now have just one bed. The extra space would be nice, but I don't want to give up too much either.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #12

THOR #1067
Would someone who owns the Vegas or Axis comment on how configuration and how comfortable the furniture is. Is the unit easy to drive and move around in traffic. Can it be parked in a truck space. just trying to judge how big relative to other 24-25 ft units. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
We sit in a Vegas 24.1 last Feb at a RV show. I liked it, however, we were not all that keen about the rear bed. Not that we have actually slept in a Vegas bed, but our experience from owing several boats with multi-cushions that fit together to make a bed is that they always end up scooting out of position.

One of our boats even had anti-skid strips on the bottoms of the cushions (that fit on a table top), and it helped a bit, but the cushions still managed to scoot out on a nightly basis.

My wife immediately noticed the Vegas sectional bed characteristic and it would be a deal breaker for her for sure, as a single mattress usually much more comfortable.

At least though, there are two large human-sized sections on the Vegas 24.1, so scooting sections might not be that bad.

One solution though is to use a memory-foam topper, which will help keeping the bed sections in place through the night. However, then you have to find a place for the topper.

All in all, I think the Vegas is designed more as a day-coach and just an occasional overnighter (especially the 25.1), and their literature hints at this (taking the RV to the beach, stadium, etc). And the sectional bed layout seems to confirm this purpose.

Of course you could use the coach as a serious overnighter, but methinks replacing the cushions with a single mattress would be a fairly quick "upgrade".

At any rate, if you plan on overnighting significantly, the rear bed configuration is something you will at least want to consider.

Otherwise there is a lot to like about the Vegas.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:06 AM   #14

THOR #1075
Is there convenient access to change the generator oil in the new Axis/Vegas?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
To change oil in the Onan 4000, you pretty much have to get under the RV to remove the oil drain plug. Not likely any different on an Axis/Vegas than any other coach with the same generator.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #16

THOR #1075
The reason I asked is that my unit requires one to drop the spare tire in order to reach the generator oil plug. Is there an obstruction or anything that might hinder access? My questions are directed toward ease of use, upkeep and operation of the Vegas/Axis as compared to my current unit. I am trying to not ask a Captain Obvious question.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #17

THOR #1067
Axis or Vegas

I'm curious if the current owners of Axis or Vegas think this coach is only useful as a substitute for the SUV for balls games with the kids or is this good for a single person who wants to full time it for 3 months during the winter taking trips around the warmer states. I'm a newbie looking to buy the 25.1 later this year. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #18

THOR #1075
Is there a bed in the 25.1?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #19

THOR #1067
Is the question: is their a permanent bed in the 25.1? The way the Thor website looks, the answer is yes. Can't say i've ever seen a motorhome without a bed, but i suppose it is possible. So hey, that's what i would say.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #20

THOR #1075
Well, since I don't go to the beach often and I don't have a cheerleader daughter, I didn't know if this unit was for traveling or for just running family errands.

I don't know about the rest of you but I find Thor's advertising confusing with this unit.

I agree and want the same information as teeitup26.