Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16938
New Thor Palazzo Owner; Need Some Questions Answered Please!

Hi everyone, we just purchased our 2016 Thor Palazzo 36.1. After a thorough 6 Hour RV inspection, we purchased it for 119k, which I think was a good deal. I received 6 new tires out of the deal too.

Being new to the DP family, I was hoping someone could address some questions for me.

1. While plugged into shore power, with the switch on "USE", and the rig having solar power, after about a week or so,the coach says low battery voltage before starting. It is able to start, but I don't understand why it would be low voltage if plugged in and trickle charging by solar? I keep my inverter off, but I'm even told if I leave it on it automatically shuts off if connected to shore power.

2. After 3-5 days, the airbags completely deflate and the Brake Air light warning buzzes when starting the rig. Once the tanks fill everything stabilizes and the light goes off. Reading other threads, this is normal right? From my searches, I believe every coach is different, but airbags usually deflate over an extended period of time. I usually set my air suspension on "Auto".

3. When traveling, I don't believe I have an auto gen start button, or does the generator automatically start when the house batteries are low? We haven't taken the rig on our first trip yet, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before our first outing.

4. Has anyone replaced the headlight bulbs and/or housings with something better. I am not really a fan of putting an HID/LED kit in a halogen housing. I would prefer to have a proper HID/LED projector retrofit in there. Same goes with the tail lights. I believe they are Chevy Suburban Tails? Has anyone swapped them out for aftermarket LED tail lights?

I just picked up my first tow dolly. A newer ACME EZE tow. I plan to tow my 2008 Sienna since I usually travel with 7 people.

Anyway any insight would be appreciated, I have a little bit of knowledge with travel trailers, but these DP's have systems I never used before. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #2

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Well congrats on the new coach!

First I would go to Thors website and you can register your MH, you will need the VIN and email addy. After your registered you will have access to all the manuals for your MH. You can do this on the website under the Owners tab (I believe its at the top of the page on the right).

I'm not sure if the solar charges the chassis battery? I think it only charges the house batts.

Losing air in 3-5 days seems a little quick to me. Might be a small leak somewhere.

The Auto Gen start (if you have it) will not come on by itself, it needs to be set by temp, voltage or time.

I think you have AGS, it would be controlled by the Magnum display control panel. You can read in the manual how to set it.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20td06 View Post
2016 Thor Palazzo 36.1.

1. While plugged into shore power, with the switch on "USE", and the rig having solar power, after about a week or so,the coach says low battery voltage before starting. It is able to start, but I don't understand why it would be low voltage if plugged in and trickle charging by solar? I keep my inverter off, but I'm even told if I leave it on it automatically shuts off if connected to shore power. The SOLAR is really only to trickle charge the HOUSE battery bank, I believe, so no, it won't do anything for your CHASSIS battery, if that's what you are referring to as 'low'. WHERE are you seeing this 'low' indicator? ALso, the INVERTER would not effect the Chassis battery.

2. After 3-5 days, the airbags completely deflate and the Brake Air light warning buzzes when starting the rig. Once the tanks fill everything stabilizes and the light goes off. Reading other threads, this is normal right? From my searches, I believe every coach is different, but airbags usually deflate over an extended period of time. I usually set my air suspension on "Auto". Some coaches have bags that do deflate over time. Question, why are you keeping them inflated while parked? Pull the manual bag control to the 'LOWER' position, which deflates the bags when you park, AND it gives you a lower stance so that your LEVELERS don't have to travel as far to level the coach, and it provides a better foundation against movement when you are inside moving around.

3. When traveling, I don't believe I have an auto gen start button, or does the generator automatically start when the house batteries are low? We haven't taken the rig on our first trip yet, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before our first outing. The AGS is a powerful and important tool in your 'dry camping' and 'traveling' and YES, you certainly DO have one - if you have your Magnum control panel above the door, like I do, press the AGS button. This takes you into the AGS's main control panel - choose 'ENABLE' to allow the AGS to then crank the generator automatically, when it reaches the settings you will enter next, either VOLTAGE(battery level), or TEMP(to power the a/c unit(s). Use a combination of the AGS button, and the Scroll Wheel to find the VOLTAGE or TEMP setting. Ask more questions on your next post if you need help figuring out these settings. Don't worry, you won't be able to figure all this out the first trip, it takes time, sometimes MANY trips!

4. Has anyone replaced the headlight bulbs and/or housings with something better. I am not really a fan of putting an HID/LED kit in a halogen housing. I would prefer to have a proper HID/LED projector retrofit in there. Same goes with the tail lights. I believe they are Chevy Suburban Tails? Has anyone swapped them out for aftermarket LED tail lights? Nope, all mine are the originals, and I, personally, don't see the need to change anything...but that's just me - 100,000+ miles and no problems. I also don't drive at night, much, so no worries!

I just picked up my first tow dolly. A newer ACME EZE tow. I plan to tow my 2008 Sienna since I usually travel with 7 people. It can pull that easily, but just make sure you understand that 'just because' the hitch might be a 10,000lb rated model, it does NOT mean that your coach is designed to pull that much. Have the coach weighed at a CAT station, fully loaded with water, fuel, stuff, and people, and subtract that from the GVCWR to get your 'weight' you can tow, including the tow dolly's weight as well.

Anyway any insight would be appreciated, I have a little bit of knowledge with travel trailers, but these DP's have systems I never used before. Thanks in advance. and you will APPRECIATE these 'new' systems - the Palazzo can go anywhere and do anything - and the high capacity INVERTER and AGS and 4 6v House battery bank will suffice for almost ANY situation you can encounter!

enjoy!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #4

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
enjoy!

I was hoping you'd show up!
Old 10-08-2019, 03:28 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I dont have a dp so my knowledge is from reading. Dont you dump your air when parked???

Check your water in the batteries. If they're low they wont hold a charge
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #6

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
We get the "low battery voltage" on our Aria 4000 on first start up, then never see it again until the next time we start up.

Deflate your air bags when parked as recommended, for all the reasons TURNERFAM outlined.

Yes, your generator might start automatically if you have your AGS set to "on"-that is its purpose, to keep the cabin temps regulated (AC or HEAT) for your pets (per our Owners' manual) while you are away from the coach.

We need our fog lights adjusted; however there is no way to do this that I've seen as the sockets are molded into the fiberglass front (will have the Dealer take a look at EOM).
GVP
Old 10-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #7

THOR #16938
Thanks everyone.

I guess the consensus is the low batter voltage at startup may be normal. I am seeing this low voltage indicator on the dash instrument display. I was told in the IRV2 forums that it may be a grid heater initially draining my juice at startup. I will definitely check my voltage and water levels on the batteries. I am pretty good about that in my other toys but completely overlooked that here. I do have an AGS button and panel like TurnerFam mentioned but I have not invested the time yet to understand what all the buttons do. I will definitely look at this weekend.

My airbags deflate in about 3-5 days. I was never told to dump my bags when leveling, but of course it makes sense now. It's these little things that make a big difference.

I am a big lighting geek and want the best light pattern, etc without blinding others. I was hoping there was a easy swap and replace projector or something I could "upgrade" too. I know it's not needed but it sure does look nice.

Thanks for the tips on towing. I gave Thor my VIN and they informed me my motorhome left the factory 23,130 lbs. I doubt I have over 5k in cargo and water though. In theory, I could tow a lot more if I don't load my rig up with people and stuff. My tow vehicle is about 4800 lbs and tow dolly about 400. As long as I stay well under 33k (GVCWR) I should be ok. I haven't taken it to the scales, but that is definitely a good idea! I plan to tow a 08 Toyota Sienna as we need the 8 person capacity. I wish I could flat tow my Excursion, but I think that is putting too much weight that's not needed and I would probably get terrible mileage pulling that thing.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #8

Model: Aria 4000
State: Texas
THOR #13402
I am a 1 year newbie, but when you are on shore power, the inverter is running your appliances and some of that power also keeps your batteries charged. Make sure the Inverter is not tripped and then make sure it is enabled in your wall monitor.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:38 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
I'm not sure which year Thor changed the rear tail lights? Our 2015 has the round more generic looking tails which although they aren't fancy they are readily available at any auto parts store which is nice.

I have popped ours out and swapped them for LED but, again.... I *thought* 2015 was the last year they used the round fixtures.

We stepped up from a Class C to a DP, I would call it more of a Jump than a step.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #14945
Fellow 2016 Palazzo Owner

I also recently purchased a 2016 Palazzo 36.1 and have learned a few things over the last 14 months.

The solar is likely only trickle charging the house batteries. Some people start up the engine for a brief run at least once a week while camped to charge the chassis batteries. I recently bought a small device called an Amp-L Start. It is a small box that mounts near the batteries and sends a trickle charge to the chassis batteries anytime there is sufficient charge current coming to the house batteries (and their voltage is up). It only requires a positive lead to each battery bank and a ground to chassis. On the Palazzo 36.1 it is very easy to install since all the batteries are in one compartment.

On the AGS system, it is there and controlled in the Magnum control panel. I won't go into the detail of the settings since someone above has already done a good job with that. However, one thing I recently learned from Jimmy the Western Region Thor rep at a recent TDC rally was that every time you start your generator using the dash switch the AGS system resets to "Disabled". You will need to go back into the Magnum controller and set to Enabled if you want it to work again.

The air bags in the suspension system will actually deflate faster if you are going in and out of the coach a lot (without the levelers down) or if there is a lot of wind present. You can actually hear the air ride system adjusting the coach as you step out of the coach when parked without levelers. The same thing happens when the parked coach is buffeted by wind gusts.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 AM   #11

THOR #4735
to easily ‘disable’ the AGS Disable Override, go into AGS settings and change from ‘rv’ to ‘other’

the reason for the disabling feature is to prevent a maintenance tech from working on the generator if it were to then be started by the AGS, a safety feature...though only needed ‘when’ you have it in a repair shop, etc.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

THOR #16938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I also recently purchased a 2016 Palazzo 36.1 and have learned a few things over the last 14 months.

The solar is likely only trickle charging the house batteries. Some people start up the engine for a brief run at least once a week while camped to charge the chassis batteries. I recently bought a small device called an Amp-L Start. It is a small box that mounts near the batteries and sends a trickle charge to the chassis batteries anytime there is sufficient charge current coming to the house batteries (and their voltage is up). It only requires a positive lead to each battery bank and a ground to chassis. On the Palazzo 36.1 it is very easy to install since all the batteries are in one compartment.

On the AGS system, it is there and controlled in the Magnum control panel. I won't go into the detail of the settings since someone above has already done a good job with that. However, one thing I recently learned from Jimmy the Western Region Thor rep at a recent TDC rally was that every time you start your generator using the dash switch the AGS system resets to "Disabled". You will need to go back into the Magnum controller and set to Enabled if you want it to work again.

The air bags in the suspension system will actually deflate faster if you are going in and out of the coach a lot (without the levelers down) or if there is a lot of wind present. You can actually hear the air ride system adjusting the coach as you step out of the coach when parked without levelers. The same thing happens when the parked coach is buffeted by wind gusts.
Thanks! The first shakedown run with the rig went well. Pulled nicely with my 5k TOAD. No issues to report, but I did have a question for you or anyone that can answer it. When using the water heater, we flip the propane switch in the control panel and it fires right up. What is the lighted switch located in the master bathroom in the back of the coach for? It is right next to the toilet on the cabinet. The salesman told me it was for the water heater but I don't notice a difference with the switch on or off.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #14945
Switch by Toilet

This is for the heating blanket that is on your rear black tank. It is only needed if you are in below freezing temperatures. Not sure the forward black tank has one. It is less exposed since it is in the middle of the coach and inside the lower shell panels. The rear tank is out in the open at the rear of the coach and more likely to freeze.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #14

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #8078
My Palazzo is a 2014 so not sure this advice is true to you.
1 - Your chassis battery is supposed to charge up when you are charging your coach batteries by shore power or generator but I am not sure about solar. I suspect the same. However I occasionally get a brief low voltage warning when I start my RV and it goes out in 3-4 seconds. If the RV cranks easily I would not worry.
2 - It is normal for the airbags to deflate and then reinflate when you start up.
3 - Your chassis battery should be charging your house batteries when you are underway. If not something is wrong with the relay system that routes power to the battery systems, on mine a BIRD/Trombetta system. The generator should not have to run, but if for some reason your house batteries are low I guess it would kick in even if underway.
4 - I looked at replacing the headlight but decided not an easy retrofit and did not
5 - On towing just be sure the vehicle does not exceed your RV tow capacity, both for pulling and braking reasons.
6 - Congrats on your new motorhome.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that your "shakedown cruise" was successful!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #16

THOR #4735
I would think the switch near the toilet in the rear bathroom is for the water pump, so that you don't have to 'run' up to the front to turn it on/off.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:27 AM   #17

Model: Palazzo
THOR #3353
What TurnerFam said.

The Low Battery Voltage alert on the dash is normal. It's a part of the chassis electronic systems check that is performed upon start up. Temperature has a lot to do with it....turn on the engine block heater switch a few minutes before you start up will prevent the alert.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #18

THOR #16938
Thanks for the tips everyone. I wonder why my panel has a button for rear tank heater up front, but then the switch near the master toilet if its for the rear black tank heater?

Im gearing up for the next trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Toad.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	21281  
Old 11-06-2019, 02:30 AM   #19

State: Florida
THOR #6699
I have a 2017 36.3 Palazzo. The lighted switch in the rear bathroom is your engine block heater switch. It is not a black tank heater switch.