Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
The new Unity by LeisureVan

This Class C has me drooling a bit. Here is a 28 minute video of the 2019 LeisureVan Unity with a murphy bed on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. One of the best sales videos I've seen. So many cool features.

I'm not done with my Vegas yet, but this could be a possibility down the road, if Mrs S can accept the murphy concept. I'm looking forward to seeing it at the LeisureVan display, booth #885 at the Tampa Supershow. I may need a bib!

Old 01-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
C? or B? And at double the price of an Axis/Vegas.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:10 AM   #3

THOR #1589
It looks like a B, but the company calls it a C. Leisure has some innovative features that we would love to see in the Vegas/Axis. And that guy on the video can sure sell.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:18 AM   #4

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Leasure travel

Wow, we bought a leasure travel wide body class B new in 1996 was the best built rv we ever owned,they didn't even have any dealers then,made in Canada . Paid almost double what we paid for our new class A in 1990,but kept it for 17 years over 120000mi. It was very innovative back then,service was great . It was a family owned company back then,but got sold a few years ago.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Very nice.

It’s amazing how roomy small rigs can be when they don’t have a dedicated bedroom. They just require a bit more work.

It’s definately a Class C, or Cutaway. Some manufacturers call them B+ but the industry counts them as a “C”.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:15 AM   #6

THOR #1589
Hey, Chance, I thought of you when I posted this, and wondered if it might fit your wish list. I remember you liked the Hymer. The LV is quite a bit bigger. Both might have parts issues with limited dealer networks.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 AM   #7

THOR #2121
Mr S, those appear very well built and about the right size, but the floorplan and other details are not what I’ve been looking for.

I have a very specific wish list which includes:

Gas, not diesel
No slides
Bike garage
Four forward facing seats
Sleeps two adults primarily
Extra space for two kids occasionally
Prefer dry bath
Prefer no corner beds
Prefer being able to park at home
Don’t need a bunch of power
Don’t need high towing capacity

The Winnebago Travato Class B still comes close, except for wet bath and corner bed. I was hoping that Thor would introduce a smaller and simpler Axis at the Tampa SuperShow, but that doesn’t seem to be their plan.

A small Hymer Class A would be a nice option if built on gasoline ProMaster chassis.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
It looks like a B, but the company calls it a C. Leisure has some innovative features that we would love to see in the Vegas/Axis. And that guy on the video can sure sell.
Whatever they want to call it: it's pretty!
As far as the cost: you're paying for the quality of the components and the build.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Mr S, those appear very well built and about the right size, but the floorplan and other details are not what I’ve been looking for.

I have a very specific wish list which includes:
Gas, not diesel
No slides
Bike garage
Four forward facing seats
Sleeps two adults primarily
Extra space for two kids occasionally
Prefer dry bath
Prefer no corner beds
Prefer being able to park at home
Don’t need a bunch of power
Don’t need high towing capacity
Dynamax has a new Isata 3 model without slides... but it's on the Sprinter chassis.
How committed to you, to the "no diesel" stipulation?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Dynamax has a new Isata 3 model without slides... but it's on the Sprinter chassis.
How committed to you, to the "no diesel" stipulation?
I like diesels, just like gasoline fuel better for the kind of touring we do.

That floorplan is very common and available from various manufacturers. I evaluate the entire unit and it seems that for just my wife and me 95 percent of time, if it’s not going to have a dedicated bedroom anyway, or large bike garage, we might as well go smaller to a van. A van can at least serve as a second/third car and eliminates the need for a toad.

That’s certainly another nice looking rig, except for it being a little too wide and tall for a Sprinter chassis. I’d have to see one in person first though.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I really like that RV floor plan with the murphy bed. One of the best I have ever seen! And a good looking RV (from the outside) as well. Awesome bathroom.

The only down side (for me) is when your sitting (eating or working on computer) you cant see out a window. I like to sitting at my dinette and look out the window at what is going on around me (in like parking lots for saftey or at camp grounds hanging out... plus to look at the views around me).

But they have some other floor plans so Im sure I would find something that would work for me.

It seems like another manufacture (Maybe a C class - Longer floor plan?) had a murphy bed as well. That works well for a Small RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
One of the nicest looking B/C units I have seen and very well put together, But, wouldn't want to give up the separate bedroom in our 25.2 VEGAS.

That hard wood sliding door was one thing that sold us on the VEGAS (Plus the fact that we didn't have to have side slides so we could fit it narrower parking spots)

Plus, looks like all of the modifications are already done...

What fun would that be?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
......cut......

It seems like another manufacture (Maybe a C class - Longer floor plan?) had a murphy bed as well. That works well for a Small RV.
I think Murphy beds are indeed becoming more popular in RVs. The first one I recall seeing was at the front wall of a trailer, where there was a very comfortable couch for sitting. It had lots of leg room in front for walking around. At night, the couch opened like a jackknife couch, which made it low. Behind couch was a longitudinal queen bed that flipped down with full access on three sides. It was great because it provided both comfortable seating during day, and comfortable bed at night. And in small space.

The same could be done at back wall of many motorhomes, thereby converting the rear bed area into a second living space. You could have a dinette in front by kitchen, and a “den” in rear if you choose to store the Murphy bed. If not, leave bed down during day.

Biggest down side I see other than covering window space is for people who sleep or nap during the day. Still, it’s a 60-second job to swing bed down.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep your right Chance.

Mo_Mike - we almost picked the 25.3 floor plan - it had the wooden bedroom door as well. I wish they put some sort of slider door in my 25.4 Axis. It would only taken up like 3 inches. But otherwise I love my floor plan. If they had the 27.7 floor plan in 2017 I might have chosen that one.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #15

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
i don't like being required to use a slide to sleep
that is, in many new designs the bed is not functional unless the slide is out

so if you pull into a place late at night to boondock, you cannot be inconspicuous with the slide extended
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But you have to admit: it's tough to be inconspicuous in any vehicle that is 25 or more feet long!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
i don't like being required to use a slide to sleep
that is, in many new designs the bed is not functional unless the slide is out

so if you pull into a place late at night to boondock, you cannot be inconspicuous with the slide extended
That is one of the nice advantages of the Unity as mentioned in the video. The bed can be used with the slide retracted, although you lose ability to walk past the end of the bed. Crawling over someone is not ideal, but it’s an option if you can’t put out the slide.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:49 AM   #18

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I think Murphy beds are indeed becoming more popular in RVs...The same could be done at back wall of many motorhomes, thereby converting the rear bed area into a second living space. You could have a dinette in front by kitchen, and a “den” in rear if you choose to store the Murphy bed. If not, leave bed down during day...

I noticed at the Tampa show that several brands have some kind of murphy bed unit now, including WinnyB.

Vegas and Axis have a sort of rear living area like you mentioned in the 25.6 and 27.7. The bed is a side slide towards the rear of the driver's side. When the slide is extended and the bed folded, there is padded seating to watch TV. The folded mattress serves as the backrest.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 AM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I noticed at the Tampa show that several brands have some kind of murphy bed unit now, including WinnyB.

Vegas and Axis have a sort of rear living area like you mentioned in the 25.6 and 27.7. The bed is a side slide towards the rear of the driver's side. When the slide is extended and the bed folded, there is padded seating to watch TV. The folded mattress serves as the backrest.
Yes, I’ve seen those and tried sitting on them. In my opinion, they don’t rise to the level of a comfortable couch with lots of space in front of it, so you don’t feel like your sitting facing a wall. Plus a real one-piece queen mattress should be more comfortable too.

In my opinion if you take a 24.1 and add about 18 inches of length to bedroom so it could have an island queen bed, and install it as a Murphy against the back wall, you’d have plenty of room in front of bed to have a nice comfortable couch/lounge area. A Murphy should also add less weight and cost than a slide.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:09 AM   #20

THOR #2121
Just as a visual of what I’ve seen in trailers that should work at rear of motorhomes to add a second living/lounge area without adding much length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3ECA36A-9DE6-4AD0-B931-1C88B5EDDA8B.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	15180