Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2016, 01:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Newbie question on leaving coach connected to shore power

I am the proud new owner of a 2016 Vegas 25.2. I just got a 30 amp feed installed at the house. Should we leave the power connected if there is no system currently running on the coach? Also, is it normal to hear a slight "humming" coming from the electrical panel on the coach when connected to power?

Old 07-04-2016, 03:59 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Yes, leave plugged in, if you don't need the refrigerator or water heater be sure to turn them off & it will keep your batteries charged as long as the water level in them is maintained.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
The hum is normally the converter. My RV is plugged in 24/7 and I leave the fridge running, supposed to last longer.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Hooligan2 - Can you please show a reference to your comment about the fridge lasting longer if left running? I searched for a reference and found the opposite on this site.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Keep an eye on the water in the house batteries. Constant charging can boil out the water over time. (See my tag line.)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
charger

I have a 2015 axis 25.1, it two makes a humming noise when its charging. its caused by the wfco converter and the fan cooling it down. the noise will go away when the batteries are fully charged. when plugged into shore power make sure your store switch is in the on possession or the batteries will not charge.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I am the proud new owner of a 2016 Vegas 25.2. I just got a 30 amp feed installed at the house. Should we leave the power connected if there is no system currently running on the coach? Also, is it normal to hear a slight "humming" coming from the electrical panel on the coach when connected to power?
If you turn off the refrigerator, which is what we do, when our mh is sitting in the driveway or storage...remember to set the little sliders which hold both doors open...keeps the 'fridge from getting musty n moldy !

In addition...we purchased an RV Surge Protector..We use it when plugged in at a campsite, obviously, and at home too! The fella who recommended it to us many years ago, said the cost of the Surge Protector will be paid for, if and when you get hit with a power surge.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
the cost of the Surge Protector will be paid for, if and when you get hit with a power surge.
AMEN!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Thanks for the replies

Yes, the humming stopped when the batteries became charged..( still afraid I a m going to break our new toy)

And the Vegas came with maintenance free batteries (I a m thinking it is a good thing)

At least now I can test all of the features without having the generator running.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #10

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Yes, the humming stopped when the batteries became charged..( still afraid I a m going to break our new toy)

And the Vegas came with maintenance free batteries (I a m thinking it is a good thing)

At least now I can test all of the features without having the generator running.
The Vegas came with maintenance free batteries?? That's new! You mean they finally got rid of the Harris junk. Maybe we'll get to see if it was really Harris' fault or the Vegas/Axis charger/converter.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Hooligan2 - Can you please show a reference to your comment about the fridge lasting longer if left running? I searched for a reference and found the opposite on this site.
"It is healthier for your fridge to keep running than for you to turn it off and on again every season. After all, you keep your refrigerator at home running all the time, don’t you? Why should you treat your RV’s fridge any different?"
That Opinion is expressed here: RV Maintenance Tips

I was told this years ago, this is my 4th RV and I've always kept the fridge stocked and operating. Replaced only one fridge and it was 16 years old. YMMV..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #12

State: Alaska
THOR #4811
Chassis Battery

Quote:

I am new to this forum. I am looking to move from a Class C (for Sale) to a Class A with maximum length of 28 foot. My wife and I both like the Axis/Vegas 25.2. I am researching the internet for all threads on the Thor Axis or Vegas RVs.

When I stored my Class C in my driveway with shore power, I had to purchase a trickle charger for the chassis battery. (Stanley BC6809 6/8 Amp Automatic Battery Charger)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Does the Vegas shore-power charge the chassis battery?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #13

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Bob -- when on shore power the converter charging g circuit also charges the chassis battery. It uses the BIRD and Trombetta just like when driving and the engine driven alternator keeps the house batteries topped off.

I posted a thread in the Motorhome Tech Topics area called "What charges the chassis and house batteries when" that describes how the BIRD and Trombetta work together.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #4838
Quote:
Congrats on your new RV Mike. My wife and I are currently waiting for our 25.2. Can't WAIT!!
Old 07-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Bob -- when on shore power the converter charging g circuit also charges the chassis battery. It uses the BIRD and Trombetta just like when driving and the engine driven alternator keeps the house batteries topped off.

I posted a thread in the Motorhome Tech Topics area called "What charges the chassis and house batteries when" that describes how the BIRD and Trombetta work together.
Hi Ed ! Some time ago we all discussed the charging of the chassis battery, etc. when we were dealing with our electrical problem.
Ron has found, when we are on shore power, he must run the trickle charge to keep the chassis battery charged...we continue to experience the 'phantom' battery drain...he has monitored the situation...the charger will show fully charged and turn off...later, it comes back on showing the battery has discharged...(he continue to monitor water levels in all batteries)..
He is still considering placing the 'battery knife' which Jamie uses.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #16

THOR #1765
Do you mean when you are on shore power, the charger only charges the house batteries and not the chassis battery?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:54 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Do you mean when you are on shore power, the charger only charges the house batteries and not the chassis battery?
My shore power to coach converter does in fact charge both the coach and chassis batteries.

The coach batteries must reach a certain level of charge before the chassis battery gets juice.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #18

THOR #1765
Yes. I am asking vbk about their issue.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #19

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
30 amp Shore Power

Okay, it has been around 105 degrees outside lately. I find that when it is this hot outside I cannot run both my A/C and refrigerator on the Axis 24.1 without throwing the 30 amp house breaker that the shore power is hooked up to. Anyone else in the hotter climates experiencing this? Seemed like it just started this when the temps went over 100 again.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #20

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
You are talking about when you are plugged in to a 115V plug at the house right? Are you sure it is a 30 amp circuit and not a 15amp circuit?

When the A/C compressor starts it can draw 12-18 amps. When the refrigerator compressor kicks in that could be another 8 amps. That puts the draw at 23 amps. And at 105 degrees outside the refrigerator is going to be working hard to cool down.

The converter in the RV is operating and that also has a draw but I don't know what that might be. The converter is producing DC and there may be battery charging current going to the house batteries, the smoke detector is drawing about an amp, the carbon monoxide detector draws another amp.

You also need to consider the cable you have plugged in -- that is whether its low, medium, or high load extension cord.

It doesn't surprise me that you are tripping your house circuit breaker. Unless you really need it, I wouldn't run the refrigerator if you are going to be running the RV A/C.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote