Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Nevada
THOR #13798
No Bedroom Heat

Thor Hurricane 34J has no heat in the bedroom. The floor register appears to be blocked, see attached photo:
If anyone can send me a picture of what their's looks like, I would deeply appreciate it.
Thor support says a flex duct runs from the furnace through the floor to a duct that terminates in the bedroom.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	137
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	14199  

Old 11-21-2018, 05:21 AM   #2

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
Mine looks like that with the grill removed. I vacuumed out a bunch of crud when I first got it. Mine flows hot air when the furnace is running. If yours doesn’t then I’d bet it was never connected.

Look under your fridge to see if one of the lines is disconnected from the furnace.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #3

THOR #13798
No bedroom heat

Thanks for the reply. I checked and the flex hose is connected to the furnace, it bends down through the floor. I'm at a loss as to how the heat will come out at the register, that's a solid piece of metal filling the rectangular hole. I will double check the heater end and update. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

THOR #9055
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSki View Post
Thanks for the reply. I checked and the flex hose is connected to the furnace, it bends down through the floor. I'm at a loss as to how the heat will come out at the register, that's a solid piece of metal filling the rectangular hole. I will double check the heater end and update. Thanks again.
The metal is 2-3” down right? The ducting doesn’t come up from below, it comes from just under the floor in a rectangular “thin” duct.

Do you have no flow at all? My flow wasn’t as much as the front ducts, so I pinched the ducting under the fridge, doing so restricted them and forced more air into the bedroom. Just be careful not to restrict too much, you could cause over-temperature in the furnace.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #5

THOR #13798
No bedroom heat

Again thanks for the replies. If I were to lay a popsicle stick flat on the metal, I would just barely be able to push it between the bottom of the plywood floor and the metal. If that's the bottom of the thin duct, it's awfully thin. There is no flow at all, the metal is cool.

___________| |
_____________| This is what I imagine it should look like.

Thor tech support wanted me to put a flashlight in the hole and then use a mirror to look down the duct for obstructions.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

THOR #9055
Maybe they didn’t cut the hole in the duct. Drill a 1” hole in it and check for airflow thru the hole.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #7

THOR #13798
No bedroom heat

Just spent an hour and a half with tech support. The register is right, there's about a 1"-1.5" gap all around. The side toward the heater is open. No flow. Duct at heater end gets hot. Can't see far enough down the duct to see if it is blocked. Going to take it in for them to repair while under warranty.
Thanks for your input, John
Old 03-03-2019, 11:50 PM   #8

State: Indiana
THOR #14449
What did you find out? I see this is an old post but I bought a 2019 34j and have very little flow coming out of the bedroom vent. I will try the restriction as recommended above to see if that makes a difference. I am going to go over to where I store it and bring my snake camera to see if I see any issues.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #9

THOR #13798
No Bedroom Heat

Found out the best way to fix the no flow to bedroom register problem is take it back to the dealer or a dealer authorized service center (that's assuming it's still under warranty).
Took the grate off below the refrigerator, can see the two flex hoses that connect to the hallway vent and the bedroom register. Would need an endoscope to examine further. Could access from bathroom vanity if there was a way to remove the bottom shelf under the sink.
I was really surprised to see the number of people having this issue, raises questions about quality control.